Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

Bear spray bear spray bear spray. Also make sure you can access it at a moments notice

One of the highlights of my Yellowstone visit was when a man dropped his bear spray and gassed the entire Grand Prismatic overlook. He was right at the entrance to it, so everyone was either trapped, sprinting through it, or jumping the barriers to get away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's probably not a big deal for the ecosystem. The damage is localized and largely to human development. The wildlife may benefit from a break from people. I hope it won't derail conservation work too much though if staff resources are diverted.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It looks like a lot of authorizations for improvements to things like parking, broadband, and recreation infrastructure. They want to expand the open seasons where possible. I think they're getting rid of some of the weird restrictions on filming on federal land.

There's a lot of stuff in there that allows private/for-profit entities to make money off of federal lands, so that's probably why Manchin is sponsoring it. Things like the increased use of concession/private management companies running facilities.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm hoping this means they'll keep USFS campgrounds open year round here. There isn't any reason for them to close seasonally. It doesn't snow.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's funny is that the concession companies are having just as much trouble hiring employees as the feds. Xanterra was probably the worst part of my Yellowstone visit this year. They did not have their poo poo together.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We stayed at the Old Faithful Inn for three nights but only ate one meal there because we were trying to save money. I regret that one meal! It was the worst buffet I've ever experienced but dressed up like fine dining with a matching price tag. Nearly everyone eating/working there seemed to be having a bad time. They could have fed everyone if they'd accepted the circumstances and downgraded the service, but I assume they didn't because it would hurt their profits. And that's why I don't like private companies operating in national parks.

In better news though I just saved $40 because I had a leftover America the Beautiful pass from that trip, and the campground I stayed at this weekend accepted those in place of the fee. Those passes are a great deal

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Try to reserve your meals in case the restaurants are still in disarray (they probably will be). You can also buy simple premade meals like sandwiches in some of the stores (there's a convenience store by Old Faithful that sells these anyway).

Imo though do whatever you can to bring your own food. The restaurants are a rip-off, and the park is full of some of the world's most beautiful picnic spots. The mediocre meal is made up for by the fact that you can watch bison while you eat it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mammoth Cave is a good place to take kids. On my second trip there I was actually more impressed with the rest of the park. We spent a couple of nights camping in backcountry sites and had more encounters with coyotes and flying squirrels than anywhere else I've been. You're also close to Land Between the Lakes (national recreation area) where you can see bison and elk.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can't wait to go back to Yellowstone. I've already seen most of the big tourist stuff, so it'll be great to spend more time in the backcountry. Totally different experience once you get half a mile from any road.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh, last week I visited some NPS sites in Puerto Rico (the Spanish forts in Old San Juan). And I hiked some miles through different parts of El Yunque, which is technically USFS, but it's operated more like a national park than any other national forest I've been to. Entirely designated as experimental forest, higher proportion of wilderness than any other national forest, and the only tropical rainforest in the national forest system. There were even some CCC sites that combined their typical stonework style with Spanish revival architecture. Really, really cool.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The one between El Morro and La Perla? It was in really good shape. I have a picture of it, actually. I get the impression the whole area around La Perla has been sanitized and cleaned up in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I passed through Cortez once by chance on my way across the country, took a wrong turn, and ended up at Osprey HQ. That was neat.