Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Let me know if you have any questions or need any suggestions! I am quite familiar with that particular hole in the ground.

We're heading out there in a month, camping in a tent at Desert View, since that seemed less touristy than GC village. We'd like to do some nice day hikes and stuff, no overnight backpacking since that's a bit too advanced for us rightn ow. What's good around there and what should we know? How hot/cold will it be?

This is part of a bigger trip, where we're driving out from SF, staying somewhere probably around Mammoth on the way and hitting up Grand Canyon for 3 nights, Zion for 3 nights and finally Bryce for 3 nights, tent camping at all 3 places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Sorry for missing this! This thread got buried in my bookmarks, and I didn't even see this post until a day ago. On the off chance you haven't left yet and are still looking for advice, feel free to shoot me a PM.

No worries! We ended up doing:

• 1 day in Joshua Tree
  • 3 days in Grand Canyon
  • 3 days in Zion
  • 1 quick drive through Bryce

Joshua Tree was pretty nice, we didn't have any :catdrugs: so we couldn't come up with a new startup name or anything. Got up early to hike a couple nature walks, retreated to our Airbnb at like 11am and then got back out at sunset, found some rocks to climb up and watch the colors change.

Grand Canyon, we camped at Desert View which is like a 30 min drive from the Grand Canyon Village. In some regards a bit wonky since we had some hikes and stuff that started over there, but it's also a very chill smallish campground a 5 minute walk from the rim. Pro move is to get up before sunrise, walk over to watch the sunset with the only noise from the birds and rustling of the trees, see an amazing sunrise and then go make breakfast. We had our bikes with us so we rode up from the village to Hermit's Rest one day, but the main event was to hike down Bright Angel to 1.5 mile rest house and then back. We started at like, 7am (30 min later than I wanted) and were out at 10am. Saw a bighorned ram just chilling in the middle of the trail. Hiking back out we saw people starting their hike at 10, which seemed dumb as gently caress.

After that though, we were like "... well what else is there to do on the south rim when it's too hot to hike down in and you've seen all the viewpoints".

Zion was amazing. We both liked it better, despite needing to stay in a hotel (since it was too hot to camp in a tent) and full of boomers. Having bikes was a pro move since we didn't need to wait for the town shuttle to start and we could bike up to the lodge to go on a hike one day. We did The Narrows, a bucket-list worthy hike where you have to walk through the river in the middle of the canyon. Biked to the entrance, rented water shoes and wetsuit socks for, and caught the first shuttle out to the trailhead. Nice hike, loads of people but no real good place to pee once you're in there. Our final day we wanted to hike Angel's Landing, but a combination of bad weather, having woken up at 5am every day for hikes and bad sleep we called that off and looped through Bryce instead.