Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm always down for national park reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Man i love parks

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Tequila25 posted:

I was looking to visit Great Smoky Mountains National Park in October since the prices for cabin rentals nearby aren't too insane. I'm trying to decide between stay near the touristy Gatlinburg side or Townsend, since they have some great deals on cabins but it's farther from the center of the park. I've heard Cades Cove can get crowded in October so I'm not sure. We're going to focus mainly on day hikes, but I do love a good mountain coaster. Any recommendations?

My sister runs http://www.campleconte.com and I think you should go there. The tree house is awesome. Greenbrier is the closest park access and it's a pretty good one that isn't too crowded. October is going to be crowded everywhere, but there isn't really a slow season like there was 20 years ago.

Slightly farther up I-40, around exit 432, there is park access through the city of Cosby. Backwoods Sami moonshiner rough area and there are more bear attacks because fewer people, but there's never anyone there.

I grew up in Gatlinburg and I can make some general recommendations, but that might be better in the Tennessee tourism thread.