Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Just goofing around for the first time this year. Set out not caring about catching - shaking off cobwebs. Pissed I got skunked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Tell me about your favorite inanimate bluegill bait. I've seen people recommend bread, hot dogs, slim jims, and other such things. I do have some Fish Bites since I do some saltwater fishing, seems like that should work in freshwater too, right? Shrimps is shrimps.

My 4 year-old - who I am taking fishing for the first time if the weather cooperates tomorrow - helps me out in the garden a lot and loves the worms and other bugs that I tell him are our "friends." He names them, helps them "get back to their families" when they've gotten out of the dirt, and so forth. I cannot impale his friends on a hook, and I really don't want to mess with crickets. Maybe wax worms, which look a lot more like the bad caterpillars that eat my tomato plants. But definitely not lil' red wiggler. There will be tears.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
These are cheap and easy to use and made from rubber and the Bluegill here LOVE them:

https://www.berkley-fishing.com/gulp-maggot-1285378

I don't know anything about the company or any of their other products but these fake maggots work.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Desert Bus posted:

These are cheap and easy to use and made from rubber and the Bluegill here LOVE them:

https://www.berkley-fishing.com/gulp-maggot-1285378

I don't know anything about the company or any of their other products but these fake maggots work.

Seconding this to the point where it really does become catching instead of fishing. If you can see the bluegill no bobber or casting is necessary.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I forgot all about Gulp. The maggots don't seem to be available near me, but I got the earthworms. I'll take some Fishbites too, maybe catfish will go for those.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Leaving tomorrow morning for an Everglades fishing trip. Gonna fish up and down the Tamiami Trail should be fun, will report back hopefully with some good fish pics!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm not going to say it became a "catching instead of fishing" situation, but quality over quantity ain't so bad:

I brought my new fly rod and made a complete fool of myself (in my defense it was pretty windy too). Time to schedule a lesson.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm not going to say it became a "catching instead of fishing" situation, but quality over quantity ain't so bad:

I brought my new fly rod and made a complete fool of myself (in my defense it was pretty windy too). Time to schedule a lesson.

If you have an Orvis store nearby they do a free fly fishing 101 class. They’ll try to convince you that spending 1,200 dollars on one of their nicer rod/reel combos is a sound investment too, but the class is useful and free.

Really though, for dock fishing you can just roll cast. There is no need to pull the fly up off the water and potentially snag others or get it wrapped up in the side rails.

https://youtu.be/vHMfCJINGJM?si=TdLTZGQdRvz-T-bN

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 11, 2024

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I was trying to roll cast, not going all River Runs Through It :v: In all honesty I was doing OK until I started trying to go into/across the wind (~10-15mph) and I started trying to trade technique for power.

We do have an Orvis, but there is another place that apparently employs The Guy you want to learn from around here. It's the kind of place that sells $50K shotguns to oilmen but everyone says the staff is pretty chill and rates are reasonable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Leaving tomorrow morning for an Everglades fishing trip. Gonna fish up and down the Tamiami Trail should be fun, will report back hopefully with some good fish pics!

Please be careful to not get eaten by an alligator or Florida man.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

Or the Skunk Ape, a hybrid formed from Gator X Florida man.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Desert Bus posted:

Or the Skunk Ape, a hybrid formed from Gator X Florida man.

my high school gf's dad was in the florida exotic animal scene and i still remember his theory about the skunk ape

apparently the feds were going to raid a guy who had a huge exotic animal collection in miami in the 80s and he just released all his collection out in the everglades...including a gorilla.

any ned rig guys - i told my local tackle shop i wasn't digging the z-man elaztech neds and he grabbed some strike king ned cut-rs off the wall and said to try those. big winner - they do the ned float thing and are durable (7-10 fish per worm) but much, much easier to rig than the z-man neds. crushed using them the past couple of trips, like 8-10 bass an hour.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I'm mostly over trying to rig elaztech. This year the small Yamamoto yamatanuki has replaced the ned rig. Seems to get bit for me everywhere the ned does, is completely weedless, skips amazing and is way easier to rig. Yeah no plastic is as durable as zman's but having to reach back in the bag for another plastic because the current one got chewed up is a problem I don't mind having.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

We actually got harassed by a gator cuz we were crushing the peacock bass and he wanted one bad lol. We are used to gators tho, unless they are really big we don't worry about them.

Had a good trip overall, after trying in vain to catch some Tarpon in some known pond and canals in the area we gave up and focused on peacock bass and it paid off big time. Between the two of us we caught over 30 of them, then later in the afternoon they just stopped biting completely so we got there at just the right time. Great fight and just a gorgeous fish to look at up close.

And this is the rear end in a top hat that wouldn't leave us alone lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Southern Cassowary posted:

any ned rig guys - i told my local tackle shop i wasn't digging the z-man elaztech neds and he grabbed some strike king ned cut-rs off the wall and said to try those. big winner - they do the ned float thing and are durable (7-10 fish per worm) but much, much easier to rig than the z-man neds. crushed using them the past couple of trips, like 8-10 bass an hour.

I'm actually used to Zman now after rigging so many of them but yeah it can be a pain at times, will have to see if we got any of those strike king around here.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

We actually got harassed by a gator cuz we were crushing the peacock bass and he wanted one bad lol. We are used to gators tho, unless they are really big we don't worry about them.

Had a good trip overall, after trying in vain to catch some Tarpon in some known pond and canals in the area we gave up and focused on peacock bass and it paid off big time. Between the two of us we caught over 30 of them, then later in the afternoon they just stopped biting completely so we got there at just the right time. Great fight and just a gorgeous fish to look at up close.

And this is the rear end in a top hat that wouldn't leave us alone lol

Florida produces some beautiful Peacock Bass. Pretty sure those are all hybrids, but drat, nice fish.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'll spare y'all the picture but the biggest bass i've ever seen floundered up on the beach today. buzzards were pecking at it when i went down to see.

it was a little curled up and even then it was as long as my measuring board (26") and it had a massive belly on it. think it was probably 11 or 12 pounds when it was alive.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7348208307112365343

Pro fishing is insane with the speed and power of these boats. Surprised there aren't more of these.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i respect the moxie of the bream that thought it could eat my 5 inch senko today

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Caught a 23” largemouth today, personal best. Didn’t have any scales with me, but this absolutely is the largest bass I’ve ever caught. Online says that should be a 7lb fish, and drat he felt every ounce of that.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Nice. What part of the country are you in and what did you catch it with?

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Lake Guntersville, Alabama. I caught him in about 3’ of water. It’s been cold for the past few weeks so finding bass has been difficult. We had a warm snap for a few days and fishing deep wasn’t productive. I switched from swim baits and crank baits to an inline spinner (lol $1.90 Walmart rooster tail knockoff) and slammed a 4 lb largemouth, 2 1.5lb smallmouths and then this huge largemouth all around the same island.

I was on an adrenaline high for about 30 minute afterwards. Kids were in the boat and everyone was all excited at the huge fish. This was definitely a high for our spring break.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
You know, I like to think that I am opposed to targeting bedding fish, but then I see a monster 10 times the size of the other bass I catch in this small pond just sitting there and I can't help but plonk it in the head with a ned. Ended up being just over 4 and a quarter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
you know, fish might just be real

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I haven't fished in like 30 years, but my seven year old stumbled across a small mountain lake with people fishing off a dock when we were riding bikes. And now he really wants to go fish off that dock. We are going to go to a local store tomorrow to get some basic gear for him, but can anyone help an idiot like me get a rough idea of the bare minimum we need to have a decent time for him to fish (I assume it will be like fifteen minutes each time we make it there). The local shop has good reviews online and from a few people I spoke to but I'd also like to not be completely stupid when I go in there. We will have to hike about a kilometer with the gear to get to the lake if that makes any difference.

My very basic idea of what I need:

Rod and reel for him (I had someone tell me to get a zebco 33 for him)
basic tackle box
a few hooks
some sinkers
a few bobber/floaty things
some basic lures
bait (going to ask the local store about this)
decent pliers
something to put the fish in if we catch them (hah!)

Any help is appreciated.

I had a pretty rear end in a top hat father who would force me to fish with him and I hated it so I'd like to make this as fun and easy as possible for my little guy, and honestly I wouldn't mind maybe slowly getting into it again now that I've started looking around.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

rod, reel, and lures/terminal tackle/bait are going to be very regional and also depend on what species you're targeting. hitting up a local shop and pointing out that body of water is a really good idea. a spincast reel like a zebco 33 is going to be a really good choice for your kid, and you might want a spinning reel for yourself. i'm mostly a bass fisherman in america and given that you're using kilometers i presume my specific lure suggestions are not going to apply to your lake, lol.

in addition to good pliers, you probably want fingernail clippers or braid scissors for cutting line, and some kind of fish scale or measuring board to measure your catches.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If you want the kid to have a good time, set him up with a worm and a bobber to catch sunfish and rock bass.
Those fuckers will eat just about anything and worm and bobbering it will probably keep him busy for a while. Be careful when he's casting. My brother likes fishing and he took my nephew out a lot, but there were times when he was that age and came with me and he was still flinging that rod everywhere when he was casting. Its easy to get a hook to the finger, or eye, or ear or wherever when they're doing that. Even if you don't remember poo poo about how to cast to teach him, you need to at least keep it straight with him that he needs to look around when he's casting. To the side, behind, etc to make sure he's not going to catch a person when he swings the rod back. This can be difficult, especially if the sunfish are really biting as he'll be really excited and want to get his line back in the water asap to get the next one. So be patient with him. You're not fishing in a tournament with thousands of dollars at stake.

Also don't leave old line and garbage everywhere after you leave. Thats how good fishing spots get posted to be no fishing.

Someone on here who's better at fishing than me, give this goon some techniques to do to keep the little fishies from swallowing the hook because they didn't set it quick enough.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for the help. Local shop was cool. Got a smaller rod with closed reel for him to cast, some weights, some hooks and the floating bait the shop recommended for the trout in the lake. They talked me out of anything else until we see if he is into it so it was like 80 bucks all in with license

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks for the help. Local shop was cool. Got a smaller rod with closed reel for him to cast, some weights, some hooks and the floating bait the shop recommended for the trout in the lake. They talked me out of anything else until we see if he is into it so it was like 80 bucks all in with license

Nothing for yourself? :(

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Desert Bus posted:

Nothing for yourself? :(

A friend has a rod and gear he said I could borrow but knowing me I’ll probably dive in on my own and own way too much stuff too quickly.

But for the first time out I just wanted one pole and let him be all the focus.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

I haven't fished in like 30 years, but my seven year old stumbled across a small mountain lake with people fishing off a dock when we were riding bikes. And now he really wants to go fish off that dock.

Lol that's how it started for me. I fished when I was a kid a lot, and as an adult now and then but nothing serious. Then my son got the fishing bug about the same age, he's currently 16 and now we have a boat and enter fishing tournaments good luck :v:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Lol that's how it started for me. I fished when I was a kid a lot, and as an adult now and then but nothing serious. Then my son got the fishing bug about the same age, he's currently 16 and now we have a boat and enter fishing tournaments good luck :v:

Yeah I’ve already bought a spinner rod for me and am looking up good places to go camping and fish.

Heroin on a pole.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I'm picking up a boat this afternoon, the bloke selling it said I could try it for a couple of weeks and decide whether I want to keep it or give it back after that. It's a pretty good offer since the outboard has done a lot of hours and there's a few other potential issues I'd like to investigate before buying it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm picking up a boat this afternoon, the bloke selling it said I could try it for a couple of weeks and decide whether I want to keep it or give it back after that. It's a pretty good offer since the outboard has done a lot of hours and there's a few other potential issues I'd like to investigate before buying it.

Describe the boat please.

Also do you have to pay him anything to try it? Because if not then I say go for it at least you might get a fishing trip or 2 out of it for free basically.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Charliegrs posted:

Also do you have to pay him anything to try it? Because if not then I say go for it at least you might get a fishing trip or 2 out of it for free basically.

I cannot begin to describe how expensive a free boat is going to be. Congratulations, holler if you need hands.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Charliegrs posted:

It's a 5m Stessl Striker, pretty old but aluminium hull so it's still solid. By all accounts they're a good hull design that cuts through chop ok but retains a bit of stability at rest. The engine (90hp Honda) is the biggest potential concern due to the hours it's done and I need to book it in for a compression test.

No need to pay him for now so that's good.

It'll need a bit of money spent on it to get it looking nice. I'd really like to put a bow mount trolling motor on it and convert it to a center console so there's a heap of money right there. I've been told the electronics all work fine but the wiring it pretty sketchy so that'd need to be redone as well, although that's probably more an investment of time than money. The paint is really chipped and worn so it'd be good to get it sandblasted and repainted at some stage but cosmetic stuff is low down on the list of priorities.

The first drama with it was when I got it home tonight. My driveway has a low stone retaining wall running along it; it started pissing rain as soon as I pulled up and that along with the fading light made it impossible to see the retaining wall in the wing mirrors. After a couple of attempts to reverse it up the driveway and blocking the entire street I gave up and drove in forwards, so I've got a job tomorrow morning backing it out and having another go at reversing it in with better light.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

bloody ghost titty posted:

I cannot begin to describe how expensive a free boat is going to be. Congratulations, holler if you need hands.

What's that saying? The 2 greatest days in a boat owners life are the day you buy it and the day you sell it? Something like that. Or B.O.A.T. - Bust out another thousand?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

What's that saying? The 2 greatest days in a boat owners life are the day you buy it and the day you sell it? Something like that. Or B.O.A.T. - Bust out another thousand?

Maybe if you spend too much on one. I got a simple fishing skiff cheap, added a few things and I'm only into it for maybe $6k tops. If you keep it simple and can store it where you live it's cheap and easy.

But yeah I live in Florida on the gulf coast and boats are super common obviously so you hear all kinds of horror stories. My dad had a cabin cruiser back in the day, it was a drain on his wallet and was not at all worth keeping for the amount of time he spent on it just cruising around burning gas and he was definitely happy when he sold it. If you have to pay marina fees to store a boat it adds up quick in addition to fuel and repairs and I think some people new to boating don't realize how much it's gonna cost.

Fishing skiffs/boats are different I think tho because it's more of a tool for fishing rather than something to just cruise around in for fun.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 13, 2024

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Any of yall fool around with microfishing?

I'm gonna get back into fishing this season with that as my main goal. My five year old loves fishing but is too hyperactive for a rod and reel for the most part, so she gets frustrated a lot. So I grabbed a couple of the smallest fiberglass tenkara rods from Temu and we're going to simplify things and try to wring a little more of a reward out of tiny bass and sunfish and creek chubs in our local urban ponds and creeks. I think once I get hers set up with a short enough line, she can just dip it in and out of the water to her heart's content without having to worry about casting and line management.

Also she's pretty thrilled with little fish anyway. I got her a couple dip nets and acrylic boxes for a trip to the Ozarks and she was pumped about these rainbow darters and southern redbelly dance.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
that's awesome! I'd like to try that. do you use a particular hook or rig for it, other than the smallest possible?