Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
We're going fishing today, taking kayaks down the river and across a lil reservoir. Had a lot of success on the last trip just dead drifting nymphs forever as the kayak floated down the river, the hardest part is getting them all the way down because it gets like ten feet deep and all I have is regular floating fly line.

When we get to the reservoir I think I'm going to switch up and start stripping a big ol clouser minnow or something past grass and fall downs and see if I can get my first bass on the fly (and first bass in like a year, I'm a terrible bass fisherman). Exciting times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I caught a lil rainbow, my wife's paddle busted on a shoal so we had to cut the trip short but that's probably a good thing cause I'm here posting from the parking lot in a thunderstorm. Maybe tomorrow!

Behold the bounty of probably $400 worth of crap I never actually needed:

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Kayaks are good, everyone should have a kayak. Even a cheap one opens up a shitload of water that you'd never have access to if you're just busting the banks.

The only hard part is logistics, trying to find a buddy with a kayak and a car you can park downstream that can also carry the kayaks back upstream without $600 worth of Thule roof rack accessories.

So I guess everybody should have either a lovely pickup and a kayak or a station wagon and a kayak

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
IDK how many of you saw what I was posting in the last A/T thread but I got talked into buying a great big 9wt switch rod and that means I get to learn how to spey cast

A lot of you just told me to roll with what they recommended at the shop, I am here to say confidently that nobody has ever tried to throw a switch rod here in Georgia. They all mostly laughed at me and conceded that I might could go for trophy striper in the lower Chattahoochee or also surf fish next time we go to Florida, which I intend to do a week from now when I go to pick up all the line I ordered.

Anyway once they call me when they have the line in stock I'll spool up and learn how to spey cast, I'm excited to hook up on striper and whatever salt water fish get in my way whenever that time comes again

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I went to an orvis store to learn how to cast. My then girlfriend (now wife) bought me a TFO rod kit for my birthday for like $200, and i went to the orvis store and asked the guy to help me pick out a box full of basic flies. I spent ~$150 on flies, leaders, a fly box, strike indicators, tippet and so on, but the upside was that the guy grabbed like an $800 rod and took me into the parking lot and taught me the basics about how to cast. The only thing he asked was 'please don't bash the tip of the rod into the ground' and i may or may not have accidentally done that a couple of times while i was trying to figure stuff out.

It turns out he said my cast was fine, and that he didn't have anything to teach me that experience and practice couldn't do on their own. So, my advice it to watch the Orvis casting videos, the ones where the guy is casting from a grassy area into a still pond, and pay attention to your back cast when you start practicing. That's all i watched before i started to practice casting, and even now i catch myself loving up all the time when i don't put the effort into watching my back cast.

I'm working on my spey cast now and everybody in the whole state confirms that i'm an idiot for doing it, so i'll let you know how that goes once the fly shop finally gets my shooting line in. It's only been three weeks, fingers crossed it'll show up sooner or later!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

KingKapalone posted:

Do tube baits need a specific jig head to work or can I just use some of the round ones I have?

You usually use a specific jig head, at least with the smaller tubes. The head is more cylindrical, so it fits better in the tube

ETA: like this guy here https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Big_Bite_Baits_Tube_Head_Jig_5pk/descpage-BBBTHDJ.html

Stalizard fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 5, 2020

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Ugly sticks are perfectly adequate for beginners, if you're just starting out I think any combo you find in the $50-60 range from an established brand is going to be pretty comparable. Here in my corner of the south I know a lot of people like the Berkley lightning rod and it's priced right around the ugly stick, but I've never thrown one.

I think a 6' medium rod is the sweet spot, it'll be a little heavy for trout and might be a little light for salmon but she'll still have a bunch of fun either way. Throw away whatever line comes with it, spool it up with some fresh 8lb test or so and spend the rest of your budget on what the guy at the bait shop tells you to put on the end of the line, trout like in-line spinners like mepps or rooster tails and they also like it when you just drift a worm on a tiny hook with a little bit of split shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
holy poo poo that rules