Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Jump King posted:

Feeling this, might start fishing for panfish now just for action

I just assume it's going to be a panfish day, and if bass show up it's a bonus!

I haven't been out too much later due to a combo of family health issues and absolutely murderous weather, it's always great when it feels like getting into the bath when I step in with my waders :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Spent far too much time hiking than fishing today. My usual spot was overrun, so I decided to play Google Roulette and try a new spot. Of course greatly misjudged some distances.
Man, never suit up in full waders and heavy rubber soled boots until you know just how far you need to hike, I walked 3 miles in with full kit and my fishing pack like it was boot camp.
Best part, only bluegills and dinky bass. :( I did get to make a kid happy and save his dad's rep after rolling in and pulling a fish on my first cast. Gave them a pack of plastic worms, showed how to rig it, they hooked up right away. Of course they couldn't wade in under the bridge we were at but it was good enough for them.
Of course then the dad tells me I could have parked at the other end of the trail and saved myself 2.5 miles. Oh well, next time!

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Dangerllama posted:

Yeah, I’ve been spending a lot of time on Google Maps lately. I think you also have to be willing to explore when you’re out fishing. “What’s down this county road?” or “What’s next to this empty pull-out?” will find you a lot of spots with less traffic than the prominently displayed “PARK HERE TO FISH” signs.

Also backcountry lakes are wonderful for dry fly fishing.

It sucks when you live in an area that is 90% private property and doing just that has gotten me more than a few "discussions" with pissy rich people. It's a good thing I look like someone's mom or I'd probably be really familiar with the police.
Having a pretty famous trout area nearby helps but god drat has everyone in the world taken up fishing.
I envy you guys out west sometimes!

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Fast rods are where it's at. My usual waters cap out at maybe 16-18 inch smallies anyway so you don't need much.
Ultralight makes even panfish feel like monsters, I think it's way more fun.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

EvilJoven posted:

Otoh once you do find a spot where you can fish in peace without assholes in bass boats zipping around swamping canoes while blasting Nickelback and throwing beer cans overboard, you understand why maybe some people don't want to advertise it on the Internet.

Same with good hunting spots and range spots. A few friends and I finally have a spot that doesn't look like a redneck landfill and we're not telling a soul.

This. I live in a pretty populated area and most of the areas I can access get swamped if there's any hint of fish there. Hell, if there's any hint of anything at all, I've had people come and swim in my fishing spots (gross, the water is ... not clean) and other stuff that makes me have to drive around a lot. I'm happy giving out general areas and tips but I like to fish solo for my mental health. People don't have to be assholes about it though.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I looooove my St. Croix but it was more than I wanted to spend on a fishing rod I schlep into sketchy areas. I doubt anyone who would steal it would know what it's worth though. It's one of the best trout/small bass spinning rods I've cast in my admittedly small experience, so if you have money to burn I would definitely say try them out.

I have some other junk I bring around as well, mostly old poo poo I fished out of my dad's garage with "vintage" reels I did some maintenance on. All of them are perfectly serviceable, so if you want to buy some cheap-ish stuff or go to a yard sale to save some money, it's likely you will get perfectly fine stuff for your regular fishing experience.

Only rod I'm not totally comfortable with yet is the stiffer baitcast rod, but that might be because I am horrible at baitcasting and constantly have problems because I suck and the rod is my longest one.

If I do any striper fishing on the Hudson I'm just gonna grab one of those big-rear end long combos from Walmart and not risk anything expensive - I don't have a boat anyway so I doubt I'd hit anything big.

Don't feel like you need expensive stuff to get started fishing. Some of my bass lures probably are worth more than my entire junk rod rack, and they work fine.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
First day of trout season up here and it's fantastically lovely weather! I joined a private club this year because I'm a bougie rear end in a top hat so at least I wont' have to worry about too much pressure for trout but I am not standing in freezing rain/horribly cold water today. I'm a bad fisherperson for that, but I'm at least off from work tomorrow and it's not going to be as cold.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
You can get a one day nonresident license in New York for 10 bucks. 7 day for 28, year for 50.

Resident license is 25 for a year.

Your milage may vary. :) Remember if you come here a lot of bodies of water have weird-rear end extra rules so take a look at the DEC site for whatever region you are at.

Migratory fish of the sea (steelhead and stripers mostly) need an extra stamp. I believe it's free for non-residents too but don't forget to add it.

NYC reservoir/other waters fishing requires a special tag from the city. It's also free but they are death on enforcement so be sure to get one. It's valid for 5 years.

Welcome to NY, land of a billion weird rules!

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 3, 2021

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Anyone use braid on light-ultralight stuff? I'm getting tired of the memory on the mono and looking to try something new if it's viable.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Will echo what a lot of people are saying here, stockingfoot is way better if you need to hike. I've done 2 miles or so in my Orvis waders and other than sweating out my weight in water because it was 90 degrees out, everything was fine. Good quality boots with support is important too and those will be a cost as well!
Check your local area about tread options too. We have some sort of weird-rear end stream crud that gets into felt soles so they are not really allowed because they spread the crud elsewhere.

I'm a little iffier on wet wading mostly because my favorite stream is very dodgy in terms of water quality. If you have a better water source that isn't going to give you the plague if you have a cut on your leg, go for it though. I know some of you guys live in less populated areas!

I paid about 300 bucks for the waders and around that for the boots so it's a pretty hefty layout to start but they've lasted 3 years so far.

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 26, 2021

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
How rough is the surf? That's the only thing I can think that might be an issue. Also how deep is it near those rocks?

I dont fish salt water so other may be more detailed but semi-deep + structure = some type of fish to me. If it is a good type of fish is up in the air :v:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I caught one largemouth on a frog. That's it in like 3 years.

All the bass guys around here swear by them and I see them catching on them but the bass do not like my topwater lures specifically.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Got a chance to go out to the bougie trout club pond and saw one smart rainbow that went into the weeds and broke my line off, and discovered that no matter what there are bass and bluegill in every if it's more than like 2 feet deep. Caught every baby bass and bluegill while the trout laughed at me.

A successful day!

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Man, those birds. Worst I ever had up here is a water snake grabbing my fish and not wanting to let go, a fisher following me around waiting for me to drop something to grab, and beavers scaring the poo poo out of me with the tail slap. Thankfully the blue herons are smart because they are also a big-rear end fine for disturbing them.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Dik Hz posted:

The weather is picking up. Throughout the southeast, bass are moving onto spawning beds, crappie are spawning, shad are running in the coastal rivers, and the mountain trout streams are getting rain. Go fishing everyone! Post your latest.

Nice first fish! Wish I could go but everything is still iced over in the bad way around here - just had three kids fall through ice at a local pond yesterday :( Thankfully they were rescued. Takes a while for 4 inches+ of ice to melt safely, then all the streams take a bit to settle anyway.

Bass are catch and release on artificial lures year round here, trout season starts April 1st. (New York)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

the yeti posted:

Meanwhile up here it only just lately got above freezing on a regular basis, maybe I'll go poke around a creek once this torrential rain stops :shobon:

There's a pretty robust stream nearish to my place that's got a few holes and eddies, gotta be something in there right

ed:- does Fishbrain aggravate the poo poo out of anyone but me?

Cheers, cold rain buddy. I have found fish in unexpected places so anything that has some deeper spots is worth tossing a worm in or whatever.

My Fishbrain experience is posting a bass/trout of any size and having 10 dipshits from my area asking exact catch spot. I'm happy to say the general body of water and area but some of these spots I hiked distances you should never hike in waders while it's 90 out, let me have something to myself :(