Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey a new fishing thread! I'm stuck in Europe for 7 more months but if anyone is in Seattle region next summer I'm gonna be going on party boats for pacific rock fish and lingcod.

I also crab a bit on the west coast.

See you then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

TY. My new fishing goal is I wanna go striper fishing with Dean Ween one day

http://www.mickeysfishing.com/

e: I wanna ask him about fly fishing but I'm scared he'll make fun of me

:eyepop:

Can you find out what he was talking about?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

You're not allowed to mention Ween on his boat apparently, and no bananas (presumably blow is cool)

*thirty seconds after returning to the dock at the end of the day*

"So were you guys really huffing Scotchguard when you made The Pod or what."

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gd87JmkAkE

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

PNW meetup imo

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

This poo poo is so valuable for surf fishing. Thank you both!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Speaking of the mop fly, we were talking about that in the fly tying and tacklecraft thread a couple of weeks ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899268&pagenumber=7

Catching fish rules and pissing off fly fishing snobs also rules, so long live the mop fly

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Christ what an rear end in a top hat

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

https://discord.gg/qq9akx Tell us your secrets

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh poo poo a fishing thread.
I hardly ever fish anymore because most of my free time is taking up with being a dad now and also I'm a fish biologist so I see a loving lot of fish in the field and the lab.
Anyhow I did a bunch of urban fishing this spring and it was real good.
Can I get an invite to the discord?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yooper posted:

I'm getting on the mopfly bandwagon. I'm going to tie the most ridiculous flies I can with this poo poo.

I'm glad you put some balls on it :newlol:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Is it true that Philadelphia catfish will whip a D battery at your head once you get them near shore?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Lol, those reviews do not inspire confidence. "Works good, would buy, 1 star!"

I'm not opposed to spending money to get something that lasts for a while and has consistent results. Experience in the automotive field has taught me that $10 ebay specials ain't it and it would take a strong recommendation from someone that has owned one for a while to make me change that perception.

I have a similar one and it's fine, but it's not a precision instrument. It's not going to be great for live fish and it's not tournament grade, but after I gut a fish sometimes I'll hang it by the gills or the lip to weigh it out of curiosity. It hasn't exploded or fallen apart in my hands, but it's a pretty light duty tool. Not for hardcore bassin'.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yooper posted:

My entrants for the Dickspoon Derby arrived today, courtesy of A Pack of Kobolds. Thanks Dude! These will be going with me to Alaska at the end of the week. The goal : Salmon. And Dolly Varden. And whatever else I can get to bite these.

But it just wouldn't do to have them plain silver...

First up is the 20g with a Gamakatsu Assist Hook. The name, Spotted Dick. Second is the 15 gram beauty coated in whatever nail polish I could sneak out of the bathroom without my wife yelling at me. Hooked with an Eagle Claw. Third is the green monster with a mopfly VMC treble. The red dot is not blood, but it could have been with how sharp that drat hook is. My Gamakatsu poo poo is sharp, but that VMC stuff is next level. Lastly we have the 5 gram with a single hook left shiny and chrome. Some of the waters I may be fishing are unbaited single hook, hence why not all have trebles.

As much as I'd love to nail a halibut with these, I think it's unlikely. But I'll probably still try.

Thanks again Kobold!

:tipshat:

Dick 'em and post the pics!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Where should I shop for tackle? There's a Dick's nearby but Cabela's isn't. Are Amazon prices good? I've heard of Tackle Warehouse too. Best price would be great so I don't feel AS stupid casting into a tree.

Dick's is a good resource. If you have time to wait and don't mind generic things, AliExpress and eBay have lots of inexpensive stuff. Also depending on what you're looking for, one of us might already have five of them and could part with one.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

It would be nice to do one larger order online. Want to get equipped for a Boundary Waters canoe trip at the end of September. Big order was to hit any shipping thresholds there might be at any smaller sites, but if it's just Amazon or going into Walmart or Dick's, then I guess I can do that. Honestly I get overwhelmed or lost trying to search for specific things that they might not even have there.

You could shop the Dick's website and do in-store pickup. Could be the best of both worlds there.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Syano posted:

I hit my favorite spot and ripped a huge buzz

:weedass:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Night dickin'

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Night dick moves

Workin' on some night dick

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Got any tips on fishing Charleston?

Sheepshead.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

One of us! One of us!

Knots to get you started: the palomar, the improved clinch, and/or the uni-knot. Any one of these will get you started, and everybody has a favorite. Knot practice is not time wasted - at some point, you will be tying knots with cold, wet hands, and it's going to be 10x harder than practicing while watching a movie at home or something.

Bait: crappies love live bait. Bass are a lot less picky. Not many bass fishers use live bait; the vast majority would use lures or jigs. If you're using bait, though, don't sleep on the common nightcrawler worm. There are very few fish that won't take a nightcrawler.

Rigs: for crappie, you'll want a slip bobber setup. Getting started with bass, Texas-rigging a plastic stickbait worm off the bottom is a good place to start. The Carolina Rig is also worth knowing, as it is simple and useful for a variety of species: catfish, trout, bass, whatever.

Releasing the fish without injury: wet your hands before handling the fish, otherwise your dry hands will remove the fish's protective slime and probably some scales, too. Needle nose pliers are helpful for removing hooks (but never hold the fish by the lip with the pliers!), and using circle hooks helps keep the fish from swallowing the hook. If you catch a big fish and you're handling it outside of the water, use one hand to support the belly so you don't put the fish's entire weight on its spine.

Casting: what kind of reel do you have?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

Thanks for all of this! The terminology is super helpful. Looking forward to my wife rolling her eyes at me watching fishing videos constantly now.

I don't have a reel (or any equipment beyond hand tools), but I'm sure whatever I borrow will be a spinner or spincaster. Bass fishing seems like a a good way to start out so as to get some repetition. If you handed me a spincaster right now I could cast it just based on muscle memory from the handful of times that I've fished. I've used a spinning reel before too, but I'd have to fiddle with it for a second to remember how to cast it. I don't know how to load line onto a reel, so that's another thing I need to add to my list of things to learn.

What sort of conditions are conducive to this type of fishing and what conditions are hopeless? Air temperatures are currently in the 60s at dawn and 80s at dusk. We haven't had much rain in the past two weeks but the forecast shows some next week.

Late summer fishing can be hard, and fishing in general can vary significantly based on region. Hop on the Discord, there are lots of active users from all over the place on there, and someone might have more local insight than me in the opposite corner of the country. :v:

And ghostnuke ain't kidding, either. If you want to know everything about the Zebco company and everything they have ever made, we know a guy ...

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Woodpile posted:

Both appalled and intrigued by all the spincaster love.

This is the general sentiment for many of us, but forums user Untrustable is a living Zebco encyclopedia and has piqued curiosity about a thing that many of us had written off.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Mukulu posted:

Man, rock bass look so cool.

They fight like smallies, too! Too bad they don't get very large.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

There is a lake near me that is public land that the public cannot access. 100% of the land surrounding it is owned by the rich, who specifically fought to keep a park from being built which would have allowed the public to access the lake which they, the public, ostensibly own.

The solution is clearly to have an 80s style slobs vs snobs competition for ownership of the lake or maybe just guillotines instead.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Your fish pics are beautiful and seeing them while trapped at work is absolute torture.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

As soon as a white guy starts complaining about Native fishing rights I appreciate it because it lets me know not to spend any amount of time with them. Yes, blame some of the most powerless people in the country, who have had everything taken from them, for the lower salmon runs and not the fact that the oceans are warmer than they used to be. loving idiots.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

e: where does one buy a dick spoon these days?

Yooper posted:

Holy poo poo, it's real.

:getin:

Dickspoons available now! Website works, but it's incomplete during this soft open period. It's more or less goons only right now, so the password is 69420lol.

WE GOT THE DICKSPOONS

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

when are JimPlugs gonna be in stock

These are less available to import, so we're gonna need to get some molds made. 3D print a negative mold and then somehow machine that into a block of milled aluminum? I've filled many molds, but haven't made a custom one before.

Also thanks for the kind words, everyone. :blush: I'm not trying to shill, only to do good work.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

nerox posted:

Kobold should rename the "Jeweled, Flashy Dickspoon" to the Jacob's Ladder Dickspoon.

Done, great idea!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

"If you're going out and you're fishing every night, like you should be, you're gonna be fishing every moon phase anyway. Don't give me any of this Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Mars Lunar Landing. Nobody cares, go out there and throw your chunk."

-Bob the Garbage Man

Bob is a wise man.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Post them pike pics!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hardwater fishing is a loving excellent term for it

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

WHEW this thing is BURNING line*! drat buddy thought there was only gills** in here

*on my ultralight, 1.5lb test reel slapped to a noodle of a rod
**there are only gills in here

If you're fishing for pure enjoyment, this is hard to beat honestly

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

Panfish? ultralight rod.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

AK-47 posted:

Well thread, I well and truly let things get out of control in a hurry but its fine. Ended up going with the Pflueger President XT Limited Edition 3500 and then a buddy sold me a Daiwa Regal 1000 for a song so it looks like I have an ultralight setup now as well haha. Once all the bits and bobs show up I'll have to get out and about Austin and start figuring things out. Scouting google earth for good bank fishing spots and ponds until then.

:sickos:

Ultralight rules. Also, the goon fishing discord is active and friendly in case you want to talk fish or have any questions needing semi-immediate answers. https://discord.gg/rZnQbXVD

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I don't know that reel specifically, but I've never heard anybody complain about a Lew's product.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Time posted:

Just put in my yearly order for all various jigs, plastics, and top water bullshit I use for stripers and got a reel upgrade. Dreaming of big fish my friends

Remind me what jigs and plastics you like for stripers?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Math You posted:

As a dude who's generally used scavenged or inherited tackle, I don't really have a gauge for which size dickspoon is appropriate for the species I target, not being able to see how big they are in person.

I live in Ontario and fish for walleye and brook trout where I can. Otherwise I'll target bass and smaller pike.

Does Sir Kobolds ship to Canada?

Hi! I definitely have shipped dickspoons to Canada. There will likely be covid-related customs delays and I'd need to give you a shipping quote, but I'm more than happy to ship internationally.

The OG dickspoon comes in four sizes: 5g, 10g, 15g, and 20g. The 5g is ideal for a trout rod with 6 lb test line, or something similar. I think that a 10g or a 15g would be decent for walleye, bass, and pike. I think the 20g would be great for trolling for salmon or something similar. Could be good for surf fishing, too, but that may not be relevant to Ontario.

Speaking of dickspoons, they're 25% off for the rest of February. I really really really don't want to poo poo up this thread or the discord by shilling for my shop, but if anybody wants dickspoons (including the multicolor combo boxes), they're cheaper now than they usually are. If you want something that you don't see, I can probably make it for you. I have time this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If anybody starting out wants a couple of free Ned rigs to gently caress around with, PM me. I make the jigs and plastics.