Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I tried ice spearfishing this weekend, with an excitingly large hole in the water which you dangle a decoy through to lure pike in with before forking them. We took a two footer and got a glancing blow on one of the bigger carp I've seen, saw lots of bass too, should have brought a rod. Pics next time, has anyone else tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Math You posted:

So apparently two muskies was just an appetizer for me today..

42inches and we don't exactly have a bump board so it was curved while measuring. It could easily be a couple inches longer. Caught on 8lbs mono.

gently caress yeah that's a Fish

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Sitting here near Lake St Clair reading the winter forecast and thinking about either selling all my ice fishing equipment or moving to the UP :sigh:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Desert Bus posted:

These are cheap and easy to use and made from rubber and the Bluegill here LOVE them:

https://www.berkley-fishing.com/gulp-maggot-1285378

I don't know anything about the company or any of their other products but these fake maggots work.

Seconding this to the point where it really does become catching instead of fishing. If you can see the bluegill no bobber or casting is necessary.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

wesleywillis posted:

If I wanted to fish for pike, what is a "pike only" lure besides a red and white daredevil spoon?

The reason I ask is because pike is open here but bass isn't till the end of June. And typically where I find pike, like weed beds etc.. I find (largemouth ) bass. I typically catch bith on the same lures, top waters and weedless type stuff.

I know of course that if I drag anything in front of a bass and it's hungry or angry enough it might bite at it anyways but i want to try to avoid incidental bites if I can help it because they're spawning right around now.

I'd probably be fishing around the Toronto islands and western lake Ontario but not Hamilton Harbour

E: musky isn't open yet that I recall. But there are supposed to be some in the islands. Will try to avoid, but they seem to like the same stuff as pike..

My old man swore by a big rubber rat for pike/musky, you could try that. Or wait until winter and spear them if ice-fishing is ever a thing again :(