Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Grandito posted:

Does anyone have any tips for fishing in suburban ponds?

I'm in Texas and trying to get back in to fishing, haven't done it much since I was a kid. There are some ponds near me in public parks that the state stocks with catfish and some supposedly have bass and sunfish as well.

Went out a few weekends in a row to try and catch a catfish, because I thought it was supposed to be idiot proof. Put some Magic Bait balls on a hook, with and without a weight, and was never able to get so much as a bite. I tried a couple locations and tried both morning and evening. (My mornings admittedly started at like 9am.) I'm just using the $30 shakespeare rod and spinning reel combo from Academy for now, but afaik it should be fine.

What do I have to do to get some sort of fish on the line in this environment? I just want to prove I can at this point.

Edit: I know there are actually fish in the water because I've seen other fishermen out there. One showed me a picture of a bass he caught, but I don't think I've seen anyone else pull in a fish while I was there.

Hello fellow texas fisherman, and hello thread I didn't know existed.

I have fished in Texas/Oklahoma my entire life. What part of Texas are you in? I live in the DFW area and generally the ponds in the suburbs are what you would mostly call "highly pressured", meaning they get fished a lot. They are also small enough that the pond running out of fish is definitely a thing. Don't despair, if there is fish in those ponds, I can tell you how to catch them.

Live bait is the best and is generally really easy to find. Nightcrawlers from Walmart or gas stations that sell bait is a great choice. You can also refrigerate worms that you don't use. I would NOT use dead shad or the "stink" bait that is generally advertised as catfish bait in those stores. They suck, are extremely messy to deal with, and you basically have to throw away what you dont use right away. You can also go to your nearest lake and catch bait with a cast net for both fun and free bait, but this is generally something you shouldn't dive into right away unless you like the thought of it.

I find the simplest method to start out with is the old fashion bobber method. I put a bobber stop on my line, then a slip bobber, a very light bullet weight (or called a slip sinker) that is 1/16 or 1/32 ounce , another bobber stop a leaving plenty of space bellow the bobber, and then a hook.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bullet-Weights-USBW116-24-Ultra-Steel-Bullet-Weight-Size-1-16-oz-15-Fishing-Sinkers-per-Bag/16889118
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unique-Bargains-6pcs-Black-Cylindrical-Shaped-Fishing-Float-Stoppers-Sinker-Floater-Bobber/702122622
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thill-Fish-N-Foam-Floats-Cigar-Slip-Peg-Fishing-Lure-Float-Red-White/17127127

The only caveats is that the bobber has to be big enough for the weight and the hook so it doesn't sink, while also not being too big to make it awkward. This setup is also light enough to be easily castable by your shakespear spinning rod/reel.

The hook is also a big decision as it could lead to a few different outcomes. The smaller the hook, the less bait you can use and the small fish you leave yourself open to catching. Sometimes going smaller is better for city ponds as smaller things are what fish are use to foraging on. So using a smaller hook and pinching off parts of the nighcrawler to put on it means you are doing to catch more but sometimes smaller fish. Its just plain effective.

Going bigger with the hooks means you need use more bait and also means that you might rule out a lot of the fish that are in the pond. It will also mean that you can handle larger fish much easier when you finally get one on the other end though where a small hook might bend or they shake off easer. Its all a balance.

Using a bobber also means that you need to deal with the wind. When you cast out your bobber and the wind is blowing the opposite direction, you are probably going to have to recast a lot. The best part of catfishing is sitting on your rear end and not doing a lot of work, so finding the side of the pond to cast the bobber out so the wind is blowing it out is usually a better time. If the day is calm, it doesn't matter.

Once you actually start catching fish, then its time to switch things up to catch bigger fish or to target catfish more specifically. Its better to crawl before you walk though. It also builds confidence in catching fish of a lot of species vs not catching anything while trying to target one.

Hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

DFW fishin buddies! Sadly I haven't fished any ponds in DFW, but I have fished lake arlington, joe pool, fork, tawakoni and then a handful more lakes out in east texas. I kinda miss 'em. :shobon:

I am mostly limited to lake grapevine, lake lewisville, and the random trip to texhoma. Next year I am going to hit up the east texas lakes come spring time. Tawakoni has been on the bucket list for a while and I haven't gone out of some planning.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Grandito posted:

Thanks. I actually am in DFW, and have mostly been trying to fish at Oak Point/Bob Woodruff parks.

The high pressure is I think what I'm not used to dealing with. I grew up in a rural area and would catch bass in farm ponds and it was never that tricky to do, I even thought I was good at it.

I tried again right before daylight savings using nightcrawlers instead of the store bought bait as you and someone up thread suggested, but no luck yet again. I'm planning to give it one more go this weekend, though.

Would I have a better shot of getting something on a hook by taking a trip out to one of the lakes and bank fishing? I hate that it feels frustrating instead of fun and relaxing like I remembered.

Its very possible , especially with live bait. Going to a lake from where I suspect you are is going to be a little bit of a drive though. People like the fishing barge in lake lewisville, which might be a better alternative to bank fishing but honest that is all I know, lake-wise without a boat. Fishing is either going to be amazing or total poo poo right now due to the seasonal changes. So patience and trying new places and trying new things is kind of required.

I have been a kayak fishermen most of my life but now I own boats. A cheap kayak to fish out of gives you way more options. Just something to think about. Keep in mind that getting into fishing near winter might leave you frustrated more so than spring.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rap music posted:

I want to reiterate my best fishin ponds are the ones most people are gonna be too lazy to get to

Find some that are off the beaten path with google earth

rndmnmbr posted:

Yeah, fishing pressure directly leads to frustration at bad fishing. You got to go where the dumb fish live, not where all the dumb ones were already caught and only the smart ones now live.

Smart fish eat live bait. They just do.

It is good advice though. The best fishing holes aren't public. They are private ponds nobody has fished in years. You are better searching the country roads and asking permission.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rap music posted:

Even if it’s public find one that is unkempt and you have to wade thru a little brush to get to. I swear to you most people will spend hours catching nothing at a terrible spot that’s easily accessed rather than deal with the slightest inconvenience to fish a gem

Its true. I find that a light kayak and a pond an extreme overgrown bank is very good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

Yeah I had been fishing for a week when I decided I needed a kayak. I got one of those $300 Lifetime Tamarack Angler 10 footers and it's been great. Of course then you have to budget for a PFD, better paddle, crate, cart to haul it, anchor to stop it, and so on, but it seriously opens up your options.

And you can get even cheaper by going to a second hand kayak off facebook marketplace. Usually means you can get things like paddles and such for near nothing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

A pretty good article discussing possible damage from holding Bass by the jaw. Shouldn't really be a surprise that it harms soft tissue. Always use two hands for bigger fish. If you've ever dislocated your jaw you should have some empathy.

https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/what-happens-when-you-hold-a-bass/

The goobers who livewell bass for 6 hours so they can take a cool picture at the end of the day won't give a poo poo. Same for old fishermen who have been doing this for 30 years. You can't change my mind that bass fishermen are the karens of the fishing world.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Syano posted:

Help me find bass. Ive been hitting ponds pretty hard this year and got semi decent at finding and catching the fish. Ive been out to the big lake twice now in a boat and I cant find bass to save my life. Where do I look?

Points. Jerkbaits, twitch slow as possible. Drop shot, even slower.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Syano posted:

I was throwing a rage craw up in a creek at one point and hopping it around but was getting bupkis... I guess I need to find another spot

Eh, a rage craw isn't what I would have a lot of success with right now in texas. Its definitely drop shot weather. A 4 inch pink/purple robo worm fishing so slow that it hurts. Deadsticking as much as I can.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Syano posted:

I had 2 rods... 1 with a spinnerbait and then this one with the rage craw. I was basically following the advice of all the youtube dudes who scream about bass this time of year looking for active forage. I'd love to give a drop shot a try

A lot of those videos' are just to sell you tackle. I won't guarantee you are will catch a bunch of big ones, but the drop shot just works. The biggest downside which dropshotting is that even the tiny ones can eat it.

But it makes sense. As the water cools, fish will actively feed less. They will then only eat things that they consider an easy meal. A dropshot imitates a baitfish that drop in an area very slowly and just dies. That is the easiest meal a bass can eat. So outside those small feeding windows, you have to give them a meal that is too easy to pass up. Craws generally are something an active fish would eat.

Fall/winter fishing is all about making them strike when they aren't hungry (reaction baits) or giving them a meal too easy to pass up.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Syano posted:

I had that suspicion. I'd love to blow all my money on fish finders and rods and crap but I told myself I was going to learn to fish first with my ozark trail rod and my yak and paddle before I spent a dime on fish bro gear. So far I've been out twice and haven't hit nothing. It's all good though cause man it's nice to be outdoors. It would be nicer if I could catch some but I suppose that will come with time.

Drop shot worms are cheap. Bullet sinkers are cheap. Fish are going to be on points from now to spring, suspended.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I think the best part about winter is trout fishing. I head up to oklahoma to fish some of the rivers there and its always a good time. Easy fishing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

I'm just starting to get into fishing and I'm wondering about the relationship between reel drag weight and line/rod weights.

I understand the principle of drag and how all the different weight ratings interact, but what I haven't found any firm information on is what reel max drag rating I need for a given line/rod strength.

So far I've been sizing the reel to the line and the line to the rod using the Price Is Right method, but I've seen some recommendations that the reel drag should be set for 1/3 of the line or rod rating, whichever is lower. Does that mean that I can get away with using smaller reels effectively, or should I still keep the extra drag capacity to ensure that I can overpower a fish if I need to?

Definitely overthinking it. Just buy something that looks cool. To be honest , the kast king stuff off amazon is very good bang for your buck as much as it hurts to say. Pick something in your price point you like and give it a whirl.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

Yeah, overthinking is kind of My Thing. Thanks.

I was going to effort post in my reply but I figured it would hurt more than it would help. A drag on a reel is one of the things that doesn't really change much in functional quality the more expensive you go. Thinking about it that much is a waste of time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

It's not so much about price but about sizing. I don't imagine the line capacity is going to mean much to me in the near future, but the drag power is the other thing that changes with reel size, and I've been less than confident about my gear sizing choices so far.

Freshwater fishing is never going to test your drag system in any meaningful way unless you plan to use extremely light line (as in 2 pound line for extreme light fishing). Sizing also doesn't mean that much. Modern reels hold way too much fishing line by design in order to sell you more fishing line.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AK-47 posted:

Well thread, I well and truly let things get out of control in a hurry but its fine. Ended up going with the Pflueger President XT Limited Edition 3500 and then a buddy sold me a Daiwa Regal 1000 for a song so it looks like I have an ultralight setup now as well haha. Once all the bits and bobs show up I'll have to get out and about Austin and start figuring things out. Scouting google earth for good bank fishing spots and ponds until then.

Texas is without a doubt one of the best places to have a kayak. Austin area especially. Totally changed fishing for me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

One good thing about all this lockdown business and working from home is I have had a hell of a lot of time on my hands to flesh out my Solo Skiff. Last year it was still pretty bare as I was working out where I wanted to go with it.

I upgraded the power to a max for the hull 5HP 4-stroke, cleaned up the layout a bit and added Marine Mats for comfort and sound dampening, also added a cheap gps/sonar

This past summer, it was so damned hot, I started to fish more at night, so I added a power system, nav lights, and fishing lights.

Christmas week, Westmarine had a killer sale on marine electronics, so I upgraded the cheap Garmin to a Simrad Cruise 7"

I've also started experimenting with using a DJI Mini 2 with polarized lenses to spot redfish. Here's some footage I dicked around with in DaVinci.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXfgSuvRBm8

edit: Forgot the fish!

I always thought those were neat and if I lived next to salt water and didn't enough storage for a boat, that would have been my option.

For freshwater though, it gets you to the spot quickly but once you are there, it seems hard to keep under control compared to other options.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rythe posted:

Speaking of boats what's a good recommendation for thermal protection I can put down on the floor of my aluminum boat? drat thing gets hot during the summer so having a thermal barrier would be nice and something soft of the feet too.

Carpet. Its no more complicated than that. There is also a big john boat community somewhere that you can look up the details for this in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rythe posted:

I'll have to hunt around for that community. I did initial research on carpeting but the glueing turned me off initially due to replacement being a pain in the rear end.

I mean, whatever you are using is either going to have to be glued or sprayed on. Your replacement options are never going to be fun.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

How good is a Lew’s T200 Tournament Series spinning reel if I want something between slow and moderate action? Or does that matter?

I ask because it’s on a deeeeeeeeeep discount right now and I’m wondering if I should jump on it.

They are okay for their price point. Its really hard to beat shimano in any price point though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Valt posted:

So my neighbor recently got me into fly fishing. He gave me a 8' 4wt Cabelas rod and I went and bought a Orvis Clearwater reel for it. After using that for a bit I went ahead and bought a 9' 5wt Orvis encounter setup. I have mostly been fishing at the llano river and the colorado just outside downtown Austin. Haven't caught anything that big but lots of small Guadalupe bass. Though I caught a couple of rainbow trout at the llano yesterday since they have just stocked it.

Make the trip up to the nature reserve in oklahoma. The blue river place up in tishomingo. Its free , stocked well, and a beautiful place.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

How good is the Favorite Fishing White Bird as a slow-action rod?

Thinking about snagging a couple while they’re on sale. All I have now are fast-action rods; I feel like a slow or moderate-slow rod could help me up my bass game.

Not a fan of the favorite stuff. Generally its overpriced and its pushed heavily by youtube celebs who themselves are doing shady stuff. For that price range I would probably pick lews ,abu garcia , or shimano. Generally shimano everything because the quality seems to be there at every price point.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Time posted:

Just put in my yearly order for all various jigs, plastics, and top water bullshit I use for stripers and got a reel upgrade. Dreaming of big fish my friends

I primarily fish for striper in Texas and I bought way too much tackle this winter.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Get back to us when your canoe turns into a john boat and your zooming around the lake.

I am taking my glitter rocket out to hit up the lakes in central texas where fish are just starting to spawn. poo poo is crazy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Math You posted:

Haha.. I think I might be safe from that level of escalation.

I think a big part of my conversion is the canoe itself.
I've always fished from motor boats and ripping around from spot to spot, while efficient, just feels like transportation..
In the canoe the getting around itself is enjoyable. I can just cruise along and cast at whatever on my way, or throw out some line and troll while leisurely paddling.

I can also get in places, and entire bodies of water no one else can. Not even the kayakers :cool:

I can’t quite fathom what a canoe can get in that a kayak can’t these days. I would figure a canoe has more vessel under the waterline.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Math You posted:

Land. Canoes are much lighter and less awkward to carry. If I put a couple KM portage in, I can be confident not many people will be fishing there.

The biggest difference of course would be tripping.
A canoe can contain all of your gear and provisions for a multi week trip that allows you to access fisheries that no one else can, especially in parks that don't allow fly-ins.
Apparently some of the best trout fishing in the world is spring in a couple of the far corners of Algonquin park. Might have to make a go of it this spring!

But yeah, on a day trip or the same body of water, a kayak will typically get around a bit faster, and the canoe will be more roomy. The pedal drive kayaks certainly have a big advantage being able to move and freely cast at the same time.

Edit: this is specific to the region I live in. If I were on big water, ease of carrying my craft wouldn't be such a highlight feature.. and I don't think I'd take my canoe on the ocean, period.

Maybe this is a language barrier issue. They make kayaks my 6 year old can pick up and carry. I can assure you, wherever you can carry your canoe , someone can carry their kayak if they are using one meant to be light.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rythe posted:

I need a recommendation on a catfish rod and reel as my heaviest set-up I currently own can support 14 lb test at the most. My area is know for some massive catfish and I would like to be able to comfortably target 30+ pounds, it's not uncommon to see people pulling up giant fish on the river.

Especially now that I have my boat I have better and longer range access then my kayak afforded me.

There is a dude on youtube called kayak catfish. He fishes the Tennessee river valley and he catches giant catfish. He not only is a good watch in general, but he gives you a good idea on what tackle he uses and the importance of bait. I would give him a long watch because if catfish is what you are after, he is an extreme wealth of knowledge. Being that you have a boat his technics are things you can use and his videos alone have led me to my biggest catfish.

The general consensus for catfish is that spending a lot of money on rods is pointless. I like the big ugly sticks myself and they are 40 bucks or less. Either the casting rods or the spinning rods depending on the type of reel you like. I like them and a lot of people do because they are cheap and you arent going to snap them.

Reels is basically the same thing. You aren't going to be doing a lot of casting. SO anything with a big spool and a clicker work just fine. Spending a lot of money on catfish reels is pointless.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rythe posted:

Thanks for the youtube recommendation, I'm always looking for new fishing channels to watch. I'm a fairly proficient at catfishing but I have always used lighter tackle to target 3-5 lb fish for eating and up scaling my weights and rigs should be simple. We have the shad run happening soon so I should be able to get all the cut bait I need for the year and my daughter is a Bluegill catching beast so she keeps me with live bait.

I was assuming a ugly stick was the way to go, I have a few now and I absolutely love those, just need to figure out what action is best. The reel is where my knowledge is lacking but I know I want a casting set up. I might check out Luke from Catfish and Carp too.

In my opinion , heavier action just doesn’t do it for me when catfishing. It’s so important to let them hook themselves up and to not set the hook like you would doing any other fishing. I need something strong but slow action. The older white ugly sticks are perfect for that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rythe posted:

From my research it looks like I want a Medium Heavy action and a pole that ranges in the 7'4-8" range, thankfully I have two really well stocked tackle shops in my area and a Cabela's that I should be able to find a Ugly Stick that meets that requirements.

For the reels is there anything special besides something that can hold 30 lb test?

I you are fishing from a boat I don’t see why you need rods that long. I would need to go look, but I think my ugly sticks are just 6’6 or under.

If you were bank/surf fishing, sure.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

In Tampa now.

What do I fish?

How???

:smith:

You open google maps, look at the nearly infinite freshwater and saltwater options, and then you go try something.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

FB is useless for me, everyone is too protective of "their" spots. It's just a bunch of people asking where the fish are and then some goober saying "have you checked the water? lolllololololl"

Well that is basically every fishing discussion on the internet ever. Its a real toxic shitheap in this regard. Folks are so protection of basic information that most fishing groups on any platform turn into "post your fish", post your fishing meme", and grift your sponsor/guide service. Its all unhelpful and toxic.

I had out public lake information like candy. 9 times out of 10 "Your spots" are just the normal public lake point, creek, timber, and ledge that everyone else can look at a lake map and figure out. Your secret spot is the secret spot of every fisherman who halfway knows what they are doing on the lake. I once got a death threat for posting map screenshots for WHITE BASS SPOTS during the white bass spawn.

This deep rooted toxicity is hard to fight against. Fishermen will continue to have a FYGM attitude until several generations die off.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Otoh once you do find a spot where you can fish in peace without assholes in bass boats zipping around swamping canoes while blasting Nickelback and throwing beer cans overboard, you understand why maybe some people don't want to advertise it on the Internet.

Same with good hunting spots and range spots. A few friends and I finally have a spot that doesn't look like a redneck landfill and we're not telling a soul.

None of those exist in the state of texas. They only exist in people's imaginations here.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I want to up my bass game by replacing my two cheapass Ugly Stik GX2 rods with something better. Maybe something that lets me finesse/jig a bit, that I can pair with my two Shimano Sahara reels?

I love my Lew’s Mach Crush rod/reel combo for bass fishing. Would a couple of Mach II rods be a good way to go? Or is there something else better that I could try?

I am also a fan of my Sahara's. I found that this rod to be the best finesse rod I have ever had at the price point. If you can pay a little more its worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XUECPBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its medium/light fast tip. When I finesse fish with ned rigs, light jigs, and the like, its the rod I primarily use. Hell, I even pull it out to vertically fish for crappie on light line. Its just got the perfect amount of strength while still being light action for bass and I have looked for years.

The main issue I have had with finesse rods is that getting something too light means that its too flimsy and feels totally wrong. I also find if I get a rod that's medium/heavy, its just not sensitive enough for finesse stuff. I also find that almost all finesse rods these days are going with tiny rear end guides that cause issues with braid + leader knots fitting through them. This rod has none of those issues.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Holy poo poo Dobyns Rods is headquartered right near where I live.

This looks great. I’m wondering if I should get one of these plus a medium or medium-heavy action rod for bigger fish. If I get a medium-light rod, would there be any major benefit in getting a medium rod to go with it, or is it more cost-effective to go straight to medium-heavy after that? I guess this depends on the specific rods in question, but in terms of Dobyns Fury Series rods (or I guess Champion Series if I find another $150 lying around in my couch cushions :lol:), would I be better off going with medium or medium-heavy for bass?

I have not. Are they good for bass?

If it were me, that is what I would do. I would prefer some specialized rods instead of multiple all purpose rods.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I simply have no clue why people keep choosing medium and heavier for finesse fishing. That being said, some people are really passionate about it. It usually leads to conversation where people are throwing stuff you would use a baitcaster for and leads me to being more confused.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Friendly reminder for y'all since (for me) it's pond feeding time again. This pond is great catch & release for Bluegill, Bullheads, and Bass. I've dumped hundreds of pounds of food into it over the past few years and the results have been great. PM me before you show up and I'll probably feed you alcohol and let you use my bathroom. I've been told it's really good fishing and watching people toss lines in and immediately pull out fish kinda confirms it for me. Valparaiso, Indiana, USA.

Texas have these really dumb archaic laws about transporting gamefish between bodies of water. Not that anyone is really going to catch you, just funny how the state of texas cries "illegal!" in doing such a basic thing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

holy poo poo there are more trout fishing places near me than I thought

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/troutmap.phtml

Texas trout fishing is about the biggest waste of time and resources the state has as far as stocking goes. Almost every marker on that map are places that the fish are going to end up be caught or dead in a week.

You also get to experience the shoulder to shoulder crowds gathered to fish the same day these fish are stocked. Nothing quite beats the experience of grown men fighting children to fish these events.

No, I am totally not bitter at all about texas's really stupid fish stocking traditions.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I mean, why would focus on baitfish and small panfish to keep local ponds and creeks sustainable? Nah, lets just stock them once every 5 years and let any small body of water with any pressure die off. Lets make sure nothing larger than a small bluegill can feed itself year round.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

King of Bees posted:

Plus stockers are horrible eating fish unless they've had a year of eating bugs to develop some flavor which never happens

:same:

If you want to fish for trout the only sensible thing to do is go out of state in conditions they can actually live in. Oklahoma has several in the south part of the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Grandito posted:

I posted a couple months ago about my failures getting fish in the north texas ponds. I decided to try again now that the weather is nice and I've finally got the hang of it. The trick was realizing I've got a co-worker who's a competitive bass fisherman.

He suggested using some short chartreuse worms from Z-Man attached to one of their jigheads, and working it along the bottom. I think it's called a "Ned rig," and I was able to pull in a few medium size bass out of the park pond with it.

It was a lot more fun fishing with someone who knows what they're doing, and also actually catching things.

Ned rig is easy to fish and because its very small, can get bit all year. Its basically the only soft plastics I throw for bass anymore.

Zman also makes a small soft plastic to put on it to cover basically anything you would want. Shad, crawdad, worm, and whatever else. Basically a one size fits all style of fishing I really like.