Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Stalizard posted:

We're going fishing today, taking kayaks down the river and across a lil reservoir. Had a lot of success on the last trip just dead drifting nymphs forever as the kayak floated down the river, the hardest part is getting them all the way down because it gets like ten feet deep and all I have is regular floating fly line.

When we get to the reservoir I think I'm going to switch up and start stripping a big ol clouser minnow or something past grass and fall downs and see if I can get my first bass on the fly (and first bass in like a year, I'm a terrible bass fisherman). Exciting times!

Try some black wooly buggers too, I've caught quite a few bass on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Those are awesome. (I also bet they slay fish)

edit: I finally got around to reading Dangerllama's effortpost on fly fishing; that is fantastic! If anyone thinks fly fishing looks like it might be for them, there are some cheapo starter sets that while not fancy, will absolutely give you enough of a taste to decide if you want to get into it or not. There's something extremely meditative about tending your line and stripping it in. Feeling the fish bite with the line in your hand is addicting as gently caress.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 20, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Dik Hz posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Thief-Obsession-Natural-History/dp/110198161X

So, those old fly patterns are completely ineffective compared to your basic wooly bugger, and purely designed to show off the status of the fly-tier. I linked an interesting non-fiction book about a guy investigating a theft of really old extinct bird feathers from a natural history museum. It's a quick read and I recommend it. Not exactly high literature, and the author is reaching a bit, but I can't fault him for how interesting the world he opens up is. It's tragically hilarious that the author served in Iraq with USAID and spends most of his journalistic career trying to help his former Iraqi colleagues. But he gets a best-seller for writing about a super-niche corner of fly-fishing and a bizarre heist that he only stumbled over for volunteering to help injured veterans learn to fly fish.

Oh man I heard about that bird heist on This American Life a while back and am totally gonna check that book out.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Just in case you didnt check, on the reel that spins both ways, see if there's a little switch on the bottom that got bumped into the unlocked position!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Did someone say dickspoons?

My personal best anything, probably 3 pounds or so, maybe 14 inches? Strong little fellow and good fun to catch.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's amazing.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Agreed, wooly bugger is my confidence fly, if such a thing exists. I've had panfish, catfish, and bass all on the same black one. Bonus, if you are tying them, they are super easy.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Nestharken posted:

A friend got me into fishing a couple months ago and I've been out a few more times since then. I caught this guy while video chatting with my folks this afternoon--was kinda fun to be able to show it off in real time. Only bite I got all afternoon, though.

I'm still putting together babby's first tackle box; so far I've got a $20 Amazon starter kit, a few frogs, some Senko worms, and the thread-approved dick spoons. Are there any other must-haves for the Ohio area?

If you are fishing rivers, get some ned rig jigs for sure. I'm slowly building up experience around the Dayton area and the neds seem to do well everywhere. Most successes with the TRD finesse worms.

I've been invited for a walleye trip at Erie next month, so it's really nice to hear they are on fire this year.
I've never been on a charter before, nor fished Erie. That big water is going to be pretty different from what I'm used to fishing locally.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
You need to unspool line from your reel at your feet and cast from that pile, not your reel itself!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Some fly reels have drag for fighting stronger fish, but mostly your reel is just storage. Your "working line" should always be pulled out of the reel and laid at your feet; learning to not tangle yourself up in this is part of the fun!

I usually try to take out a little more line that it will take to reach where I hope my cast will land. Like was mentioned, your non-rod hand will almost always be busy tending your "working line", either stripping some in to move the fly, making sure it isn't tangled, etc. Your hand on your line is also going to be important when it comes to feeling a fish take your fly; be good and ready to play tug-o-war with that sucker! 100% watch videos from Mad River Outfitters, there's lots of good ones from other folks as well explaining the cast. Tie a bit of yarn to your leader and practice in the yard, paying close attention to making your rod bend and having nice looking loops on both the back and fore cast. Watching videos will help you learn what this should look like, but if you can have someone in person show you, it'll make it far easier.

Also, learn the roll cast. Love the roll cast.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
You'll get it! It's one of those things that seems complicated, until you figure out how simple it is. Here's a few videos I found helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jcgehADUUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1XP0NRRGkA

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
A+ tips.

I'm gonna have to bust off some fly casting rust when this 5wt is finishes this week, I'd better refresh myself on the basics as well.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
He's a fuckin go getter!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I finally got some dickspoon replacements; never employing them without checking for snags with inferior tackle first.

(And then promptly casting into a tree)

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
The abu Garcia black max combo is held in pretty high esteem for the price.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I have the Pro Max and it's sick nasty. The only difference between it and the Black Max is more bearings and maybe some build components, iirc.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Dangerllama posted:

Yeah, I have the Patagonia Atom Sling which I like quite a bit. The workbench on the front is pretty great when you slide the thing around, and is helpful with rigging, adjusting weight, etc. I would take a long look at fishpond if I were buying new, though.

I also have this pack, and like it quite a bit. Helps that it was on sale.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him with a zebco. Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Tenkara should be perfect for pulling up a panfish lunch! I don't have location specific advice, but bluegills and such are god damned everywhere and delicious.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Those fish are loving pristine. Gorgeous.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Ohio has an app so you can have your permits digitally, worth seeing if your state also has something similar.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Trees and rocks ate mine :argh:
(And a big ol' catfish)

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I think they factor the weather in, and I've occasionally caught exactly what it suggested would be biting. I'd imagine that's mostly been luck, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Woof that second one is enormous. Hell yeah!