Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i just started fishing and wanted to ask about kept fish whem you're fishin at a pier.

My plan is to bring a cooler and bucket. If keeping a fish I'll bleed it and wash it with the bucket, but then since I'm probably gonna be there all day, should I also gut it, like do all that right after catching? is that excessive?

Afterward, is the best storage method to throw that dude in a freezer bag before going in the cooler? does that particulary matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
That's cool, thanks for the heads up. Personally, I don't enjoy casting with spinning reels. Baitcasters are fun to use imo

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm sorry if this has been asked to death:

Anybody familiar with some less-crowded areas of the Outer Banks for surf or pier fishing? Specifically anything closer to Kitty Hawk?

We were looking at going this Sunday and I'm not too familiar with the area.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
that rules, and honestly I'm gonna get a few of those combos and do the same. Thanks and good luck!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
eyyyyy nice
Lake Smith?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Right off the causeway in stumpy lake, I'm there with a friend or two twice a week. That one was a gold 1/4oz spoon on the tiny rod.

oh, cool. i used to live around pembroke and tried fishing lake smith a few times, but only ever caught a baby bass. I don't know how people catch stuff from the shore there. Always meant to check out stumpy lake tho

I got a zebco micro 33 combo and a 33 combo for the wife. Took em out for an hour last night, caught nothing yet with em but these rods own

I forgot how much I like spincasters. Kinda wanna get the zebco bullet lol

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I have an abu garcia promax 2(?) baitcaster that I like a lot. It took some frustrating practice to get the hang of but it's my good reel. maybe I'll spool it with the 6lb I put in the zebco lol
It has 20lb line from pier fishing on it now and runs out a little too easily.

I still love using the micro 33 though. maybe I'll get an ultralight baitcaster.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
my brother and i have been bank/dock fishing fresh and brackish waters around here off and on the past few weeks and have gotten skunked every time except for this lil dude.
caught on a spoon. drowned some worms and have had a handful of nibbles, that's it otherwise.

but anyway, we went fishing Saturday and didn't get a single drat bite, yet it was the best day I've had in a long time.
I am not good at fishing but it still rules.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm gonna try to catch a ton of bluegill this coming tuesday.

maybe I've been too unfocused in strategy, just going for whatever and getting skunked.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
spincasters own and it's funny that people get so weird about stuff like that

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Chicken Thumbs posted:

Just got back from my 4th fishless outing in a row, can confirm this is true.

thought I was the only one in this thread. feels like the past 6 times fishing I haven't even gotten a nibble.
maybe I need to find a much smaller body of water, cause otherwise I could tell you that there are only 2 fish in this entire river and the only reason I know that is because I watched them hit the surface all around me all afternoon.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
hell yeah, went to the park with the wife and we each used a sabiki rig. Caught some little croaker, snapper and pinfish on small cut up pieces of worm.
it was so nice to actually see some fish when fishing...

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
have y'all ever used those cylindrical wire mesh minnow traps? is it realistic to think I could throw one of those out and have some live bait within like...an hour?

is there a technique to it besides just set it near cover or shade and let it chill with some bait in it?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
dang I'm excited for it to come in the mail!

next time i go fishing I'm gonna use a zebco as a handline reel.

considered using the cuban yoyo but this is easier on the fingas

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I like the block party feel of a big ocean pier at night, everyone's chillin and listening to music and BSin and yelling down the pier at each other.
The only wack part is how you're pretty much stuck casting straight out.

I wanna try surf fishing soon.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
its k, wear it like a badge of honor.
I've been hiding inside but thinking of fishing all day. gently caress the summer.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
what is it like to be able to see a fish in the water you're fishing?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
what if instead of a typical float, I use a frog and it'll double as a float/hook?
:thunk:

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I live an hour from the (beginning of) the outer banks of NC.
is it worth trying to surf fish for a meal this time of year?

otherwise all the bodies of freshwater near me seem to be only a couple feet deep at most and it feels like there aren't actually any fish in them....lol

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
the only bass i've ever caught was a baby and it was immediately after a curly tail grub hit the water lol

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

my new "garage find" setup of my grandfather's 1920s(?) 7' Montague cane rod and my father in law's old Penn 309.

i plan to overhaul the Penn and slap some heavy mono on it to get some catfish or maybe to surf fish with for kicks

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Crab Dad posted:

The Penn will be fine but I’d recommend just wall hanging the old pole. Better whole than busted and sad.

mmm, you're probably right there.

I usually only really enjoy fishing with one pole and my goals are surf fishing and hopefully catching some catfish. is there a setup that will allow me to do both?
also I'm broke lol

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
do I get two of the Ugly Stik GX2 for the wife and I to go bank fishing with, or do I get the "catfish special" beefier versions of the Ugly Stik?

my only real goal is to catch some dinner. I'm not really after huge trophy catfish or whatever. but I can't determine if the GX2 would be enough for general use, or if I should get the catfish rods since they're rated for higher weight (1-3oz vs like 1/4 to 3/4 oz I believe on the GX2). I might wanna go pier fishing or something eventually.

is the possible greater sensitivity of the GX2 even really something I'll notice as an amateur?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
my only this year is to catch a meal's worth of catfish or something from the bank

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I got an ugly stik dock runner and a 14' cane pole
time 2 attack some creeks

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
went to a city park with the cane pole to test it out on a little lake

shoutout to the nice gentleman who came up and informed me that he is a master flathead catfish tournament angler who also is apparently fond of making backyard fireworks out of car batteries???

anyway, when he saw the cane pole, "duuuuuude that poo poo is like a musket for fishing!!!".

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
drat.
it ran away with your dock runner...

what kinda rig were you using?
I just got a Shimano sienna 500 on clearance for mine and it's p cool so far.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
that's awesome! I'd like to try that. do you use a particular hook or rig for it, other than the smallest possible?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The Japanese art of Tanago has a very specific rig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYtDnzOiHZo

This is more what I have in mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CMTIyTNel0

At the moment, my rig is basic 2.7 m fiberglass tenkara rod with a 12' braided tenkara line finished with about 20" of 5x tippet.

And yeah, tiny hook. I have a bunch of little nymphs to try, but I might try to tie something that looks like an ant pupa. For the really tiny stuff, I think I'll just try a dough bait with some anise to start.

sweet!

I've got my 13ft cane pole, teeny tiny split shot, and the smallest sabiki hooks I could find.
time 2 microfish

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
LOOK I WENT TO THIS TINY POND IN A PARK AND THERE ACTUALLY ARE FISH IN THEM HELL YEAH

found in like 18" of water next to some brush and sticks n light vegetation and got em with a 13' pole, the cut off end of a cigar peg float, a little sabiki hook and a crappie nibble dough bait (I guess they do work)

dude those black widow poles kick rear end, the one I got is rated medium but the last 2' of it was going for a ride with that little bluegill lol

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I went to a local park that has a few ponds to check out.

tried the back widow 13' cane pole with a jig (1/16 oz I think) and a spinner and frame thing from a beetle spin, with a blue body chartreuse tail curly tail thing on it.

I would otherwise say that there are no freshwater fish in this entire state based on how many times I've been skunked but today I caught a little bluegill, a white crappie and missed the hookset on another crappie I think.

I kinda just held the pole taut and walked the perimeter of the pond with the pole held out, so it was kinda like trolling with the lure.
cool to see fish hit it and then turn to dive from the surface!

[timg][/timg]

sorry bro. I feel a little bad.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

got this lil dude on the smallest tackle I could put together atm

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i picked up a 5.5 foot neon green lew's laser ultralight rod to pair with a shimano sienna 500 with some 6 lb hi vis line and it was really fun at a pond.
got a white crappie and a couple bluegill on a little minnow crankbait, the first time I've gotten anything on one. had a couple other bites but couldn't get em fast enough. I see why people like ultralight stuff.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

this lure is like $1.50 @ walmart and I have been grabbing lil crappies and bluegills and bass with em in the ~3 ft deep ponds at a park along my commute

this is the first time in my life that I have reliably caught fish regularly and this is after like years of catching nothing on occasional outings to freshwater spots. it was sad.

I cut off 2 of the hooks and put a "bb" split shot like 5 inches ahead of it on some bright rear end neon Mr crappie brand 6lb line, spooled on a Shimano sienna 500 reel attached to an equally bright green Lew's ultralight 5'6 rod and it is the shittttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
are polarized glasses really a huge difference?
well I guess this would be more about polarized clip-ons for my prescription glasses, but...

where I live you pretty much can't see anything under the surface unless you're at a pond on a perfect day, and then you can see like a foot down. the rest of the time the water is dark or murky looking. would polarized lenses even be worth it or should I just try to get used to having faith that there are fish in the water? lol