Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

There is nothing more fun than top water bass fishing with a frog in a back bay with lots of cover/grass/lilypads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I would say a black jitterbug on a moonlit night is as good. It's also the cheapest fish finder you can find for a farm pond.

drat I'm going to have to try this out...

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I had a pike bite through my line and swim off with the crankbait still in it's mouth

Only to return 30 minutes later with a splash near the dock to spit it and give the crankbait back to us.

Thanks dude, appreciate that.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Honestly? that five of diamonds alone should do the trick - I run a size 0 whenever I get skunked and usually pick something on it for the day. The red/yellow/green spinner will do work for you too - as well as the black meps on a clear water day too.

If you can, grab a cheap popper or two - they're excellent top waters to use when the water is super calm.

Other than that - Wacky rigging has been working for me all summer too - I fish mostly west of Six Mile Lake though.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

How cheap does Fishbrain go? I have a yearly sub deal available to me for $30 CAD... Worth?

Edit: nevermind - It expired missed out!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Post them pike pics!

Okay! I got this one off shore early October with my last cast of the day after standing in the light rain for 3 hours.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

crazypeltast52 posted:

Nice fish! Pike are great toothy fish!

I only started fishing last year and this is by far the biggest one I've ever got. I still look back at the photos and can't believe that thing in the waters where we sometimes swim. Absolutely massive.

Just a simple wacky rigged worm to boot as well.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

drat - I gotta wait til Saturday the 26th of June before I can even think about catching a bass :(

Oh well. The wait makes it worth it.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah it's fun to read about how big kayaks are down the in states when up here in Ontario the big thing all my life really has been the Canoe and the ~ ~ Portage ~ ~ of said Canoe through Algonquin every year for a weekend or a week.

Kayaks and fishing kayaks are becoming more popular up here though. Or I'm just more tuned in I guess.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

James Woods posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with bow fishing? I grew up fly fishing and have always wanted to pick up this sport and just ordered a cheap takedown recurve bow, fishing arrows and reel. Luckily I live a few blocks from an archery range and fly casting pond so I should be able to get some practice in before my first trip in a couplie weeks. Any pointers from other angler/archers?

Aim lower than you think

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I was told by a worker at the local shop here to avoid any non-all metal baitcasters as the other ones will end up breaking after a season or two - I'm not sure how much credence that deserves but it seems logical

Is it true fishygoons?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Finally went up to the cottage and put in a good 5-6 hour fishing,

I'm half convinced there's no more fish in those waters. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Couldn't hurt right? I mean 1 hook is better than 0 hooks - and with singles your safety margin is increased during hook removal with squirrely fish.