Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Some anglers keep a few spinners as a second option to spincasts. Some of us don't grow up. Spincast 4 life (if the spincast in question was made pre-1990-ish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Discount baits at the Walmart. Soft plastics gang represent.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

I totaled my blazer a couple of years ago, and my tackle was one of the casualties - rods snapped in multiple places, good reels crushed, tacklebox scattered to hell and gone. Needless to say, I haven't had the heart for fishing since.

But that was then, and I'm thinking about throwing hundreds of dollars in the trash buying lures only to get outfished by children smart enough to baitfish instead getting back into the game. That being said, this time I want my unicorn rod - fiberglass 7.5'-8', medium-to-slow action spincast rod. I'm a bank fisher, so I want to be able to launch lures into low earth orbit. Is there any manufacturer still making fiberglass rods, or am I heading down the rabbit hole of rolling my own rod?

Thrift stores, flea markets, swap meets, and garage sales are your best friends (wear a facemask and practice distancing). My dad rebuilds reels and makes custom rods out of the stuff we find at sales. Some of the fishing discord regulars have seen some of his stuff and honestly the best glass is out there in the wild, being sold for a buck at some garage sale.

I'll buy the bottom half of a shattered pole, and find a top half for it. With a bit of southern ingenuity, you could be building the rod you want from people's castaways. I brought in a 4 lb. bass just a couple of days ago with an old Shakespeare grafted to a zebco top. I like that combo. I call them ShakesZebs. Spincast rods (in my experience) usually don't run that long. I think the longest complete rod I have here for spincast is 6'6". If you wanna move past that barrier maybe a spinning rod? Also nothing is stopping you from modifying a spinning rod and slapping a spincast reel on there. If you need any advice on DIY'ing up some rods, feel free to PM me, or pop into the discord where everyone groans at my spincast poo poo (they're actually all very cool and helpful).

Shakespeare Wonder Rods from the 70s and 80s run 7' and up and I see them go on eBay, etc, for 10-20 dollars. Eagle Claw also made some absolutely dope glass rods back in the day that go for pretty cheap. eBay it up!

Edit: I went and re-read. You were looking for a spinning rod. God dammit this always happens. No one has any love for the spincast.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 19, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Fuckin excellent effortpost about saltwater fish. As an Oklahoma pondhopper I am thankful that sheepshead don't live here. Cool post!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hogs were on sale on Amazon. I love me some good hog.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I fish bass like a madman but fishing goon discord makes a valid argument for the trout life.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I need to vary it up. I'm getting tired of cast and retrieve on Texas rigs. I'm gonna try a ned rigged craw next. Maybe get out some of my actual crank baits that I've never used. I dunno. Texas rigged soft plastics are just getting a bit boring. Might throw on a slip bobber and crappie jig or something.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

prom candy posted:

Got any whopper ploppers?

I've got a hula popper that needs a skirt.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just dig in the Walmart clearance bins and see what's on sale on Amazon. I bass fish for the most part though, so tackle options are everywhere.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Thanks everyone. Put a fly on since I was feeling confident and promprlty tanngled the poo poo out of my line over and over

Dispirited, I clipped the line on the spinning reel I had that was on a snagged lure . Put on something random and threw it at the rise. Caught a 12" bass. gently caress it, it's not a keeper but at least I got one fish in two weeks

Then I immediately snagged again on the same spot at the other lure and gave up

If you wanna bass, and keep snagging lures, might I suggest soft plastics texas-rigged? drat near snag proof.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

Man id love to play with a $100 spincast reel

I bought a Daiwa Goldcast for 10 dollars at a flea market. 100 dollar spincasts are cool. Zebcos are cool. Not...not the new ones though. Except the new 33s. They're alright. Everything else, just find one from 1960-1995.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Amazon sent me an email showing me some St. Croix rods. $130. gently caress around! I'm out here throwin' tackle with rods older than me. I think the most I've ever spent on a rod was like 10 bucks for the Berkely Cherrywood that I'm using for my mini spinner setup.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I have an addiction to cheap walmart hard baits. That being said I'm going to be in southern New Mexico, drat near the Gila National Forest in November, up in the mountains. Anyone know what to fish for there so I can begin gearing up?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

1 dollar Creme brand crankbait from Walmart was a surprise hit at the farm ponds! A bass, a sunfish, and the back of my own arm! Cool little bait for a buck.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Gooch181 posted:

Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him with a zebco. Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied.

"You uh...holding an 808 behind your back?"

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm here to tell you; A Pack of Kobolds makes good bait and tackle. I swear by his soft plastics and jigs and sinkers of all types. Better quality and more affordable than the big bait companies. I tested some of his stuff before he opened up, and I made an order as soon as I got word of the soft opening. Package came in yesterday and it is all of the quality I've come to expect from Kobold's Workshop. Also Walmart doesn't sell dickspoons.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Canadianjerkey posted:

Yeah, I was pretty stoked on that one! This lake definitely carries a few honkers, the record is 19lb. https://www.westernbass.com/article/19-pound-largemouth-shatters-chabots-lake-record

I don't think that's one I'm gonna catch from shore though.

When bank/shore fishing for bass always start with a few parallel casts on your right and left. I've had massive bass slam my bait 2 feet from shore. If there's riprap or heavy vegetation even better.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Fishing is the ultimate patience builder.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

The goobers who livewell bass for 6 hours so they can take a cool picture at the end of the day won't give a poo poo. Same for old fishermen who have been doing this for 30 years. You can't change my mind that bass fishermen are the karens of the fishing world.

Take the picture when you catch it. Remove bass from hook, snap pic, put back in. Unless you're gonna eat it. Then you just put it on a stringer until you're done fishing or bleed it and throw it in the cooler.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Re: Drag chat:

I set my drag low enough so that I can get a strike, lose the fish, and still be able to say, "ah drat! That thing was pullin' drag! Probably huge!".

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm finishing up work on an Alcedo Micron that I'm gonna run 2 lb. mono on and slap it on a 4.6 foot Berkely. HellaLight™.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

A baitcaster is gonna be way too big to do panfishing. You absolutely want a small spinning reel for that kinda work. The pflueger president xt is a perfectly useable reel and would be a good choice. I'd lay hands on one if you can before buying it and see how it feels in your hand. A comfortable reel is an amazing qol thing to have and probably more important to doing well than just about anything else.

Panfishing? Lew's makes an excellent spinning reel called the Mr. Crappie Slab Shaker and it's 15 dollars on Amazon. It's a great little reel.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

Panfish? Never underestimate the utility of an old Zebco 202 on an ultralight rod. Thats something I firmly believed even before my eyes were reopen to spincast reels.

As thread regulars will tell you, I have never underestimated a Zebco spincast in my life. I own so, so many.

Edit: Also a 33 or even a 404 will do panfish with no issue. For real rear end Zebco connoisseurs, the Omega 144 is king of ultralight Zebco spincasts.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 14, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

And still no one has caught the muskie who keeps eating everyone's dicklures.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Lunker bass time! Get out there and throw some topwater! I'm gonna throw some grubs on a jig head so I can practice my loop knot.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

HamAdams posted:

Despite living minutes from one of the great lakes my entire life, I've never really put much effort into catching fish other than going out with a cooler of beers and spending an afternoon drowning worms. My wife recently made the fatal mistake of telling me she'd like me to fill our freezer with fish, so it looks like I'll be spending some time really learning how to fish. I don't really have any content to contribute yet, but I'm glad this thread exists because I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions as the weather gets nicer and I start actually putting together plans for some fishing trips.

Swing by the discord! It's pretty active and everyone is super helpful and chill.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

*suddenly breaks into thread, breathing hard*

my dude *puff* *puff* have you tried st croix?

*Slams in behind Ghostnuke*

Have you considered a rod that is so old the markings are worn off that you bought at a flea market?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

:same:

If you want to fish for trout the only sensible thing to do is go out of state in conditions they can actually live in. Oklahoma has several in the south part of the state.

Yeah southern OK apparently has hella trout spots. Where I'm at in the state there's one place in 100 miles. Still cool though.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If anybody starting out wants a couple of free Ned rigs to gently caress around with, PM me. I make the jigs and plastics.

I have almost a half a tray of Kobold's ned rigs. I like to pair them with Zoom Ned Craws. I use Kobold's ned worms as well. The really dark ones are garlicky as hell and bass gobble them up.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Can anyone tell me why this sunfish has no color? Wife caught it in the pond on our property yesterday.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My dad found the coolest book at Goodwill. He loaned it to me and I'm loving the hell out of it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

Every state has their own rules but most are 1-3 days. Quite a few states have very expensive 1-3 day out of state licensing which makes no sense. Good luck.

This is from a trout expedition in New Mexico last year. Isn't unreasonable at all for 5 days.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

I think I paid 60 for an out of state license for An entire year for Oklahoma. I feel like more than half of that for 5 days is pretty poo poo.

Ah yeah I'm in Oklahoma and my yearly is 25. 34 seemed reasonable to me for all the great trout fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

I find myself unreasonably angry that Shakespeare no longer makes the best cat fish rod ever made. The entire cat fish rod industry are now only selling broomsticks with no sensitivity as a product. Scalpers are now selling the discontinued rod that used to cost $40 for more than 120. It’s just loving madness.

Which rod would that be?