Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Cool, a dickspoon thread. This place really does cater for every niche and I'm glad it looks like the forums will continue.

Would it be possible to make a cursed dick dickspoon? I'm thinking the right angle bend could be incorporated as a bib to give it some action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

rap music posted:

what is a good goon kayak

If you can afford it, get a pedal yak

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

dangling pointer posted:

E: I asked in the discord but my headlamp recently broke. Any recommendations?

I got an ebay one that uses 18650 batteries. The torch itself is pretty cheap, but you'll want a decent charger because crap chargers and lithium batteries are not a good mix. You'll want a couple of spare sets of batteries too because it's loving bright and really chews through the juice.

https://ebay.us/IfwTtO

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Anyone have a Hobie mirage drive kayak? I really want one for fishing and duck hunting. Being able to pedal while casting or prepping my shotgun sounds amazing.

I've got a Slayer Propel which does essentially the same thing with less maintenance

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I've posted these in the discord but they might as well go here too

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

How do you like it? Is it one of the angler models? Do you find it heavy to carry around?

Got any examples? I can't seem to find any pedal drive kayaks with the under-hull flippers besides on a hobie. There are lots of shallow places I want to get in and out of, having the fins that are nearly flush with the hull appeals to me a lot more than the propeller types.

There’s a few. Chinese factories are starting to make them so anyone who simply imports from China probably has a knockoff mirage drive yak.

For example: https://www.kayaks2fish.com/NextGen-11-Pedal-Kayak-Bahamas-Melbourne

These have a reputation for being extremely unreliable though so I’d go with a Hobie if you can afford one, even if it means getting one second hand.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah I was still hoping for a Hobie, but I wanted some competition to bring their prices down a touch. The angler model I wanted was north of four loving grand (Canadian) last time I got a quote from a local seller.

I don't mind paying for quality but I can buy a pretty decent car or two for that money.

Yeah I’m not sure the arrival of competition would bring the prices down that much. Hobie is a good brand and they definitely know it.

Check out some second hand ones. The only real issue that arises in plastic kayaks is cracks in the scuppers which aren’t hard to spot if you know what you’re looking for so it’s much less of a lottery than buying a second hand car. Depending on how old it is you might only pay half or a third as much as brand new, and they’ll generally come with a bunch of accessories so you won’t need to budget for those on top of the cost of a brand new yak.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

did this dude just win the derby

Until I catch a tuna on a dicklure

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Hand for scale.

I'd have eaten that fucker

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

As a treat, here is every single fish I caught during 2020 on a dicklure

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rythe posted:

Speaking of boats what's a good recommendation for thermal protection I can put down on the floor of my aluminum boat? drat thing gets hot during the summer so having a thermal barrier would be nice and something soft of the feet too.

Marine carpet would be the way to go,

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Rythe posted:

Thanks for the youtube recommendation, I'm always looking for new fishing channels to watch. I'm a fairly proficient at catfishing but I have always used lighter tackle to target 3-5 lb fish for eating and up scaling my weights and rigs should be simple. We have the shad run happening soon so I should be able to get all the cut bait I need for the year and my daughter is a Bluegill catching beast so she keeps me with live bait.

I was assuming a ugly stick was the way to go, I have a few now and I absolutely love those, just need to figure out what action is best. The reel is where my knowledge is lacking but I know I want a casting set up. I might check out Luke from Catfish and Carp too.

For bait fishing just any old glass rod will be fine. Probably in the 7' 8-15lb range.

For a reel all you need is a well built fish winch like a Penn Spinfisher or something. You'll be casting out and then leaving the rod in the holder so it doesn't need to be light.

Fishing for gummy sharks here seems very much like the saltwater equivalent of fishing for catfish - just yeet out a big oily bait and wait for a hookup.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

atlas barfed posted:

Some of the other people in this thread can chime in if I'm incorrect, but there's not a huge difference in casting distance from a 7 foot rod to a 9 foot one.

I was about to say this is 100% incorrect but then I realised you were talking about fly rods.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I use braid on all my reels and have never had any of those issues tbh

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Just bury them in your garden if you don’t want to eat them. There’s dozens of carp buried in my tiny little garden bed.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I stayed with a friend over the Christmas/new year break, he let me use his Stella/Ocean Plugger combo and now I can’t stop looking at spinning setups that cost more than my car. That Stella is a thing of absolute beauty

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Spinning is all I do and I’ve never had an issue with line twist unless I’m using a lure that actually spins like a Tassie Devil or a spinner.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Hey fishing thread, I just learned that squidding was a thing in Puget Sound and started reading about it. I'm curious to try it next year maybe. What's the best way to kill a squid? I don't think any of the articles I've read mention that.

You have a couple of options. I find cutting off the head often leaves both haves of the squid alive so I don’t tend to do that. It’s also likely to puncture the ink sac and you’ll get black poo poo everywhere.

Easiest way is a karate chop to the back of the head. Another way is iki jime: https://www.ikijime.com/fish/southern-calamari/

You can also just chuck them in an esky full of icy water.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I'd like to try saltwater/deep-sea fishing sometime this year. What should I look for in a rod/reel for either of those?

imo

If you're casting lures get a nice graphite rod and a decent reel. $400 would get you a very nice combo.

If you're bottom bouncing with bait save your money and get a cheap glass rod (heavier line rating the deeper you're fishing) and a metal body fish winch like a Penn Spinfisher.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I really should post here more

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 27, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Here's some more pics from this weekend in no particular order

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

What is this???
That’s a couple of squid, the smaller one is a bit obscured.

the yeti posted:

That last one a guitarfish?

That’s a banjo shark. I think they’re more properly referred to as fiddler rays.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I love it when a parcel from China arrives

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I pay for a subscription for an app called Fishranger which probably won't work in the US but it compiles a bunch of different weather info into a pretty nifty format.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I don't know about hormones but we see a similar effect with perch here. In areas where nothing eats them they stunt out and you end up with a large population of very small mature fish. I guess the constant shortage of food keeps them small. Once predators are introduced a lot of the small ones get eaten and the survivors are able to find enough food to grow big enough avoid being predated upon.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'm picking up a boat this afternoon, the bloke selling it said I could try it for a couple of weeks and decide whether I want to keep it or give it back after that. It's a pretty good offer since the outboard has done a lot of hours and there's a few other potential issues I'd like to investigate before buying it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Describe the boat please.

Also do you have to pay him anything to try it? Because if not then I say go for it at least you might get a fishing trip or 2 out of it for free basically.

It's a 5m Stessl Striker, pretty old but aluminium hull so it's still solid. By all accounts they're a good hull design that cuts through chop ok but retains a bit of stability at rest. The engine (90hp Honda) is the biggest potential concern due to the hours it's done and I need to book it in for a compression test.

No need to pay him for now so that's good.

It'll need a bit of money spent on it to get it looking nice. I'd really like to put a bow mount trolling motor on it and convert it to a center console so there's a heap of money right there. I've been told the electronics all work fine but the wiring it pretty sketchy so that'd need to be redone as well, although that's probably more an investment of time than money. The paint is really chipped and worn so it'd be good to get it sandblasted and repainted at some stage but cosmetic stuff is low down on the list of priorities.

The first drama with it was when I got it home tonight. My driveway has a low stone retaining wall running along it; it started pissing rain as soon as I pulled up and that along with the fading light made it impossible to see the retaining wall in the wing mirrors. After a couple of attempts to reverse it up the driveway and blocking the entire street I gave up and drove in forwards, so I've got a job tomorrow morning backing it out and having another go at reversing it in with better light.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I've been over the boat fairly thoroughly. Everything seems to work although the motor does need to turn over a bit before it starts. I think that's because of the fuel running back into the tank between uses though. It started a lot quicker this evening now I know about the bulb for priming it.

The holes in the transom were easy enough to patch up with some blind rivets and sikaflex.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to get it out on the water but I'll give that a go later this week.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I find it depends on what sort of water you're fishing in. You also need to think about how you're going to store it and how easy it is to transport.

I've got a 5.5m glass ski that is amazing for fishing out wide offshore but since I've got a new car I can't rooftop it because it's too long for the roof racks to properly support, and I'll need a kayak loader and a front H rack (like what tradies use to support long pipes, ladder etc) before I can transport it. It's an absolute weapon, with a side scan fishfinder, live bait tank,plenty of rod storage and a huge hatch running down the hull, but until I modify the car it just sits in the backyard. I'll probably end up selling it because I imagine the bulk of my offshore fishing will be boat based for now.

I've also got a Native Watercraft Slayer 13 which I really rate (better than a Hobie imo) and it's great for big lakes and inshore fishing. It's comfortable, agile, reasonably fast and very easy to fish out of. It's not great in rough conditions compared to the ski but when you're a quick dash back to land it's fine. It fits on an old box trailer so I can get it to the water without rooftopping it.

Finally, I recently found a shallow lake/deep swamp that holds monster perch, and even though I've got a kayak with all the bells and whistles I'm now in the market for a lovely cheap creek basher because anything with a rudder or pedals is going to be a nightmare in this.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I tried getting the boat on the water last week but it had been on the trailer for so long it was stuck to the plastic runners. Got the motor going and tried to drive it off the trailer but that didn't work either. As I was flushing the motor I noticed the tell tale wasn't working (it was definitely working earlier when I was testing the motor in the driveway) so I guess it's ingested some poo poo or maybe the pump has an airlock from all the bubbles when I was trying to reverse off the trailer.

I finally got around to lifting it off the trailer a little with a jack and spraying some lubricant on the hull and runners, I'm pretty confident it'll come off next time I take it to the ramp. There's still the issue with the tell tale though so I'm not sure I should be getting it on the water until that's fixed. I've messaged the guy selling it to see what he thinks.

The motor starts heaps better when you pump the lines full of fuel. 10 squeezes on the in-line bulb and it started first time I turned the key.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Brut posted:

Hey I have a question, I'm figuring out kayak crate/rod holder stuff and the ones I'm seeing online are basically this shape: , I was thinking if it was open a little in each direction at the bottom of the slot, the reel could naturally slide in there and the rod will be less likely to pop out on its own for whatever reason.

Anyway, I had some old paintball pods so I took a knife and scissors to one of them just to see if it works and...kinda? See attachment.

From what I've seen commercially sold rodholders (mostly track-attached) seem to have some kind of clasp above where the rod goes in to secure it.

What do ya'll think about this? Do you think the upside down T would work okay? Should I go with that and a velcro strap? Wouldn't be too hard to glue one on.

It'll be a pain in the arse to get rods out of because you'll be reaching around behind you and unable to see where the reel stem is.

IMO you'd be better off leaving it has a straight slot, rods don't bounce around that much

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Perch are pretty good

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

so i'm seriously looking into fish finders for the kayak now. i've got a center pod that goes through the hull that i can rig up a self-contained system that holds the fish finder, battery, and transducer on the pod. or i could have the fish finder next to me on a rail and have wires going to the center pod for the battery/transducer, haven't decided yet.

i printed out some templates and went out and messed with them just now - 5 inches is really too small to see what's going on the screen if it's on the center pod and barely big enough if it's right next to me, and 9 inches would get in the way if it were mounted next to me and is wide enough it'd hit where my feet go if it was mounted on the pod. 7 inches seems like the goldilocks number

it looks like i can get 7 inch fish finders with sidescan from the big 3 in the 500 to 600 range, and just sonar/downscan/mapping for about 400 bucks. i think i'm willing to pay the 100 buck upcharge for sidescan, i wanna get an idea of cover to the side of the kayak in shallower water.

looking around online i can get a garmin striker vivid 7 for 520, a humminbird helix 7 for 550, or a lowrance eagle 7 for 600. i haven't like done a serious deep dive on feature sets or anything like that yet, but anyone got any hot fish finder opinions to share?

I've had issues with Lowrance sounders on the kayak, they haven't been too waterproof. If you're just on a lake where it's not too choppy you might be fine though.

I've used Garmin Strikers and an EchoMap and they've both performed pretty well, depending on where the transducer is mounted you will get a bunch of bubbles and interference on the side scan from your paddle stroke (obviously this won't be an issue if it's a pedal yak).

Touch screens can be a bit fucky to use when you've got wet fingers, something that happens a lot on the yak. It's not an issue if you tend to just pick a setting and leave it that way but if you like playing around with it a lot while on the water it'll probably give you the shits.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I find they help me spot reefs and weedbeds, I wear glasses normally so I just got a cheap set of prescription sunglasses.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'm getting a new boat tomorrow, I've decided to get a Quintrex Renegade 440 with a side console. It's a little smaller than what I would ideally prefer but buying second hand you just have to take what you can get. They're a really good hull though, they handle chop like a much larger boat and they're very stable so it'll be fine for the offshore fishing I want to do. The main attraction is the motor which was recently installed and only has 30 hours on it. It's only 50hp, which is fine for a smaller boat and is pretty fuel efficient.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Speaking of boats, I've been wondering lately, are there any electric motors on the horizon? I know it would be a tall order to sell them to bass anglers or loud wake boat bros, but surely something is in the works for a consumer grade outboard engine replacement.

They exist but they seem fairly underpowered compared to ICE outboards and better suited to small craft like skiffs or kayaks. The other drawback is a Li battery big enough to power them for a decent trip costs about as much a new ICE outboard. Also I’d be pretty nervous of a huge Li battery fixed into the hull in case of a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lithium batteries can burn under water apparently and you need a particular type of retardant to put them out.