Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Man I wish I had room for a Kayak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

decided to hit every lovely little lake/pond I usually see on the platte river trail. Caught nothing but a buzz but it was a fun time so can't complain too much.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Check out this loving monster I caught in Denver's Wash Park

I've got pretty big hands, but this lil guy was still absolutely tiny. I thought I'd just caught more weeds until I had it fully above the water.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

prom candy posted:

How did you rig your bike to hold your rod like that? I live like 3km from Lake Ontario and definitely wouldn't mind doing some bike fishing

Super easy. Cheap blackburn cage on the fork, rod handle (ugly stick elite i think) fits securely in it, then just use the straps to cinch it down. since this pic was taken I've just taken to riding with the rod fully assembled, while it means it will rub against you, having it in half puts it at a great jab you in the gut if you crash position that I wasn't fully ok with.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I saw one for $30 that mounts to any bike in the rear. Might gamble on one to check it out

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I need to do more fly fishing, my buddy and I are pretty bad at it so the stuff has mostly sat idle since we got spinning rods.

SPEAKING OF SPINNING RODS

I have two. One is a Daiwa minispin combo, which I quite like, except the reel broke and now spins freely in both directions which is not ideal. The second I have is one of those Ugly Stik "elite" combos, which I'm sure is dumb but I quite like as well.

I'm planning on just swapping the reel off the ugly stik onto the minispin (and just deal with the weight penalty to that). That leaves my main rod without a reel, so I'll need a new one, ideally better than the combo reel but around the same size. Any reels in the $50 and under price range that would be an improvement I should look into?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Gooch181 posted:

Just in case you didnt check, on the reel that spins both ways, see if there's a little switch on the bottom that got bumped into the unlocked position!

If it's this I'm going to be really mad at myself

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Nah checked it's actually broken, my pride can remain intact even if my wallet will not.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Caught this guy today

Friend didn't get any great pics of the fish itself, so have a cropped one. Easily the largest bass I've ever caught, I was just loving around at a local spot, hooked a tiny lil guy, and as I was reeling him in two or three feet from shore this big guy just slammed the smaller fish. Didn't even have him hooked, just was hanging on. Once I got it over land he ditched the little fish and went to the ground, so please excuse the dirt. What a loving blast, totally get why people go after these.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I like fly fishing even if I suck at it. Nothing better than getting into a river with ice still on it up to your waist (w waders of course). That said, with a few exceptions it's usually been a bit snobby in situations when I interact with other fly fishermen. Not as bad as some other hobbies I've been into, but still there.

Normal fishing on the other hand has been loving sweet. Everybody is chill, anytime someone passes me they ask what I've caught and on what, and it's diverse even in/around Denver. I've had a spin rod for a few months now and I've made way more friends than I did fly fishing, and man it's fun just going to a lake near your house with a six pack, meeting some friends, and wasting the evening catching bass and chatting with each other. I've got a couple of my other friends into it and they're loving it as well. A+++ would fish again.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

God deckers is always such a shitshow, even on weekdays. No desire to go there again.

On the MTB front, I've actually never run into that. I know it exists but I'm not the strongest climber (or poo poo if we're being honest I'm not super strong in any aspect of MTB, but I love it) and I've never got anything but encouragement and good vibes from other mountain bikers. That community has been among the most helpful and chill of any I've ever been a part of.

Fly fishing related: My favorite fly fishing snob moment was my friend and I getting set up off the bed of my truck, my buddy is talking about putting on his "strike indicator" and made the mistake of calling it a bobber. A guy walking by said "Hey! If you call it a bobber everybody will know you're a loving idiot". This was at deckers actually now that I think about it.

e: yeah high holing and crowding is a legit issue in CO, but I've not seen anyone who is immune to it. We try to stay as distance as we can even if it means going to shittier waters, but yeah in deckers idk if it can be avoided.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The river actually has a jail and small courtroom to allow prompt legal proceedings for philly fish

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I have been fishing, I realized, two-six hours a day every day for the last few weeks. I'm sure it's partly a testament to how boring my life has become, but goddamn I'm just the most relaxed I've been since pre-lockdown. I also apparently wore down the skin where I hold the rod from all the casting, but I guess that will heal and be calloused before too long.

Pic doesn't do this lil guy justice, it was a a pretty large trout

Additional

And the stuff getting me there. I love fishing locally, but I also love it as an excuse for a long ride or to do some really stupid driving.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

prom candy posted:

Good instinct, every kid I've ever fished with has always liked fishing with something you cast, reel in, and repeat. Little mepps agila #2 is a killer for me (I cut one of the hooks off to make releasing waaay easier.)

even as an adult I find bobber fishing a complete snore. If I could sit still I wouldn't need to be fishing in the first place.

Same, though it's productive in a lot of areas around me. I paid the extra 10bux for a second rod stamp and I just bring a second rod, cast it out, and leave it in the lil corkscrew rod holder with a bell on it. I then just run lures and have fun with my good rod, and if something takes whatever I've got on the bobber I deal with that as it happens.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hell yeah.

My buddy is closing on a house in a few days with a garage and a yard, already got a deal made that I can store a yak in his yard (currently in a third floor apartment without outdoor storage so can't store one here). Can't wait to get off the banks.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Nah if theyre friends show em the good poo poo. Too much weird secrecy in fishing, everybody can find water on the map and nowhere will be secret for long term so might as well enjoy the good times with friends.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Snagged a permit to get into RMNP yesterday, and it was an absolute zoo by 8AM (I could only get the 8AM-10AM slot), which is par for the course but frustrating on a weekday. To make up for it I hiked myself, a couple rods, a sandwich and a few beers up to one of my favorite spots in the park, and turns out the place is loaded with trout. A+++ would fish there again

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Man id love to play with a $100 spincast reel

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Spent a lil time camping and fishing this weekend. Even without a fire it was awesome, and I got just the perfect level of rain at night to lull me gently to sleep. Also got some fishies.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

That's kinda my problem with fly fishing here, I dig it but loving everyone is doing it. Every now and then I can find some peaceful empty spot but most of the time I wind up in the river with tons of other fly people and it's just a mess.

We don't have the greatest lake fishing in CO either but at least it's pretty chill as far as number of people doing it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Good weekend fishing until I lost yet another whopper plopper (this time to a bad knot rather than an angry goose).

Many bass not pictured, but got to the point where my thumb was sore. Good poo poo. Also caught trout up in the mountains.

And got a sweet cabelas clearance shirt

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Planet X posted:

I like that post:

Salsa avatar, check
Fish trying to eat a huge lure, check
Muskie shirt check

Edit: I want that shirt really bad, was it online or in the store

Store, what size are ya?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Nvm its online too I just hadn't checked

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redhead-northern-fish-short-sleeve-shirt-for-men

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Planet X posted:

Somewhere between a M and L, probably M. I'm 5'7, 160ish. What size did you get?

I think I found it, this it?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redhead-northern-fish-short-sleeve-shirt-for-men

Yeah peep the post above, thats the one. While I will continually mourn the disappearance of lifetime warranteed cabelas products of actual quality, ive been having good luck with their clearance fishing clothing

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Got a Sunday permit for RMNP, I decided to forego the tough all day hikes to hit a few lakes I'd never fished in. Tons of beautiful trout that are either not hungry or real jerks or both.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Estes side. I've only done poo poo on the western side in the winter when I'd rent a cabin up near there, or driven through it via trail ridge.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Whenever I do out of state licenses I just screenshot the copy they show you in the email. Works fine so far.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

More troutin

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

All the ones id be into seem to just be standard price. Kinda wanted to see how id dig it over my ugly stiks or abu garcia blackmax.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hello fishing thread, my fishing madness has expanded into ice, or as the cools call it, hardwater. Turns out it's loving rad, and I'm definitely going to get more into it. Caught hella trout the first outing, and a couple salmon this last one.

I started this year with one fly rod. Set up to end it with that same fly rod, three spinning rods of various sizes/actions, a baitcaster, two ice rods, several boxes full of lures/line/tackle, an ice auger, and more beer and nightcrawlers in the fridge than before. Fishing is really my one upside to this year, no idea I'd be so into it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Untrustable posted:

Re: Drag chat:

I set my drag low enough so that I can get a strike, lose the fish, and still be able to say, "ah drat! That thing was pullin' drag! Probably huge!".

This is a good fishing tip

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Ice is nice

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

seance snacks posted:

Earlier this year I started a project to build a sort of "bug out bag" but for fishing adventures, and it was a great decision. Feelin' the itch? Just grab the backpack and hit the road.

I decided to check out one of those telescopic rods, which I'd never seen one in person, but I had seen them one youtube. Apparently they're more popular overseas though?

And I found a telescopic net too which was handy

Last time I went out was the Chesapeake bay in October. Got this (and many more) pretty perch. As well as a juvenile speckled trout. (not actually a trout, I think they're in the drum family)

Now that Winter is here, I've been looking over some places inland to catch some actual trout, which would be a first for me.

I too fall prey to the lure of tininess. I've never hosed with a telescopic rod I loved, but the daiwa minispin (below) and a 5'0 light ugly stik 3 piece GX2 are my favorite backpacking or toss on a bike rods.

https://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/travel/mini_systems/index.html

Really fun for grabbing trout out of high altitude lakes while on hikes.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Got all my poo poo combined when I got my waterfowl poo poo. CO fishing, CO small game, CO waterfowl, federal duck stamp, CO extra rod. Nice to have the paper in my wallet a little slimmer (and slimmer still due to all the costs. between those and Wyoming/Utah/Texas poo poo this year I've contributed a fair bit towards our public wildlife conservation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Posted in the discord initially but after I broke my last ugly stik elite I just went to walmart and bought a couple "shakespeare durango"s for $9.44 each, tossed my presidents on em, and have been bass/trout fishing with them for a couple weeks and they're casting surprisingly well. Keeping the receipts until they break but man I love cheap useable hobby poo poo.