Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Went to gently caress around at a local lake with a couple buddies and some tiny ugly stik dock runner combos. Caught zero crappie or blue gill, but a 5lb catfish, two 5lb bowfins, and an unending tide of 2lb large mouth bass made the day exciting as hell. That 4lb test those rods come with can take a beating before it snaps.

I also caught a literal half pound bass on a 1/4 ounce spoon I found in the road. Great day, we're going back in less than a week.

Regardless of groupthink, hot pink rooster tails can absolutely annihilate bowfin. Good god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
We're going back tomorrow and I have procured about 30 bucks in spoons and rooster tails. I'm coming out with a ten pound bowfin I swear to god

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

titties posted:

So like 3 roster tails and 2 spoons

A half dozen rooster tails and 3 spoons, but yeah. poo poo is way more expensive than I remember it being. Nailed another 5lb bowfin, somehow got a lot of 1-2lb catfish, and my buddy nailed a 6lb bass on a weird spinner bait looking thing. It looked absolutely wild in the water.

Action shots from Monday and wednesday:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

titties posted:

I had never even seen a bowfin until a couple years ago when i found 2 of them left on the rocks, holed by spear or arrows and left to die. I'd really like to catch one, if only for the novelty.

That's a rad bass too, I'd like to know what the weird spinnerbait was that your friend was throwing. If it's not too much trouble, would you ask him what it was? tia

A jackhammer chatter bait in nuclear orange.

I hope you find a good sized bowfin, they fight like fish twice their size. On a three foot rod it is a thrill unlike any other.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

more like updogg

The ones that taste like updogg have a lot of ligma to them too

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I am the bowfin king of Virginia Beach

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

eyyyyy nice
Lake Smith?

Right off the causeway in stumpy lake, I'm there with a friend or two twice a week. That one was a gold 1/4oz spoon on the tiny rod.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I may or may not have been presented with the opportunity to go offshore fishing with the tiny rods. I now have 30lb test and a 4000 series reel on them. poo poo is gonna get real come September.

E: I also got handed a rainbow spinning reel and dick spoons off of temu. Look at this poo poo.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 23, 2023

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

oh, cool. i used to live around pembroke and tried fishing lake smith a few times, but only ever caught a baby bass. I don't know how people catch stuff from the shore there. Always meant to check out stumpy lake tho

I got a zebco micro 33 combo and a 33 combo for the wife. Took em out for an hour last night, caught nothing yet with em but these rods own

I forgot how much I like spincasters. Kinda wanna get the zebco bullet lol

Shore fishing lake Smith is awful, I believe you when you say you got skunked outside of a baby bass. The only good shore fishing at stumpy is off the causeway on the left hand side halfway down. It's on the backside with no boat access and it gets 12-14ft deep in the center channel. Pretty easy to pull in decent sized fish as long as you are persistent with what you throw. I've managed to get catfish off of baby spinners there, even. If you've got the time and are still close enough, run on down with the micro rod and some active baits. You'll catch something, even if it's not what you want to catch.

I've somehow lucked into three free kayaks though so I will soon not be on the shore. I am excited.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

titties posted:

My dad had 2 two-seat and 2 single sit-ins. He developed a frozen shoulder which he wouldn't go to the doctor for, decided he was never kayaking again, and gave all 4 of them away for free to one of the old rummies that are always orbiting around him. The old rummy has never used them.

Really disappointed that he didn't hold one back for me, if i had a cheap little SINK i would use it every week from April to October.

E: grats on your kayaks, great score my friend. If it seemed like i was begrudging you your windfall i promise you i wasn't

E2: i gave dad my mustang survival pfd jacket so he could go kayaking in the fall. He decided he didn't want it and gave it away. I would rather have had it back then see it go to some rando since they cost a lot and i could have used it for ice fishing or boating. Fishing thread, is my dad inconsiderate or am i just uncharitable?

Your dad seems highly inconsiderate to me, like if it's time to get rid of something because you can't use it, it is always best to talk to the gift giver and see if they want it back. Have you tried talking to the old friend and asking for a kayak?

If that doesn't work, and you still live near Vb/Norfolk I'd be more than happy to let you borrow a yak any time you want to blow up a river. This offer applies to all local goons, I have 3 yaks but only 2 feet, ya know?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
A buddy and I took the ten foot and twelve foot fishing kayaks out today. After not going for a decade, kayaking is kind of hard. drat my arms hurt but I had a good time and caught a truckload of perch on a red and white crappie setup.

10/10 would go again

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Pitre posted:

Woo! Caught me a new rig at the bottom of the lake.

That's one of the best catches I've ever seen, what is that, a six footer from a kayak?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Yet another evening fishing, yet another evening where I'm the only one that caught a drat thing. Everything was flooded and extra murky, so I went for hot pink and silver. Immediately started pulling in 1lb bass and bowfin, then I found some schools of white crappie and perch.

There were four other people with me. It was wonderful.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I've been using a 4000 series reel on an ugly stik dock runner for a while, but the size of the thing is rubbing the gently caress out of my line guides and introducing a lot of twist to the line. Does anyone have a recommendation under 50 bucks for a reasonably sized reel with a max drag around 15lbs?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

joem83 posted:

That rod appears to be rated for 4-8 lb line, why do you need 15 lbs of drag? Maybe your money would be better spent on a new rod instead?

There is nothing more thrilling on this planet than wrestling in a fish larger than your rod. I refuse to compromise on my 3 foot nothing indestructible stupid rod

DoctaFun posted:

What type of fish are you catching? 15 pounds of drag is like so infrequently needed unless you are ocean fishing, so I wouldn’t get caught up on drag numbers too much. There’s a guy on YouTube who does like in depth reel reviews and tear downs, and he always says something like ‘20# of drag will turn a tuna around’, not sure if that’s true, but he always downplays the ‘max drag’ advertising and warns people against tightening your drag all the way.

As for recommendations, I think Daiwa makes the best spinning reels under $100, I’ve had good luck with the Revros models, or if you can find them on sale, the Legalis is a great reel for the price.

Every fish possible. Largest I've seen on these tiny rods in person is a 12lb catfish and it looked absolutely wild. This fall I'm chartering a boat with some buddies and we will all be using dock runners in various configurations, with actually reasonable rods as backups if (when) we manage to snap one. I said 15lbs drag as a ballpark, most of the reasonable sized reels I can find for this thing top out at 6lbs of drag, which is a good recipe for binding the reel and snapping the 10lb mono I'm running if I actually try to crank it down to keep a fish from running back into cover. I'll check the smaller size daiwa reels, thanks for the recommendations.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

Catching fish on underpowered gear is a blast, so definitely get that.

I’ll also be ‘that guy’ and just hope you’re doing so within reason. Fighting large fish on super underpowered gear really extends the battle and can put them into dangerous levels of fatigue. Couple that with warm water temps and you definitely increase the risk of fish mortality. Of course some species are much more fragile than others(like trout).

I’ve seen people kill sturgeon as a result of purposefully fishing with really underpowered gear, it was really sad to see 40/50 year old fish die just so someone can say ‘ I caught it on my walleye rod, it took an hour!’

I’m sure you know all that though, but in case others are reading through, we want those big ones to survive for another fight!

This is a very valid critique, I appreciate it. The great thing is that the fights don't last any longer than with reasonable sized gear with the fish we have available, everything just feels like Nessie when it hits. I'd be highly pissed to see someone hook into an 80 lb catfish or something with these things, because the reels 100% would extend the fight dramatically with such a large fish. Which is bad. Catch and release should be done as fast as feasible, otherwise the resource gets depleted.

That guy that caught the sturgeon is an rear end, full stop. It's not about dick measuring, it's about extracting all the fun you can while being sustainable.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I went crappie fishing

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

If you caught that on a crappy rod it must have been a lot of fun.

Technically a kiddie pole, it was wonderful and wholly unexpected, because I did indeed just want crappie for dinner.

Blew up a pink paddletail crappie jig 2ft from shore, then sent my drag screaming into some lily pads. Less than a minute later I got that 3-4ish pounder in my hands. 10/10, would do again.

i caught nothing else though

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
i went bass fishing

i don't think im good at targeting fish

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Channel cats are like the bass of catfish

Yeah I'm too impatient to leave a rod in the water with something rigged up for them, so it's always a nice surprise when I pull one in. They really seem to like white, every single one I've pulled in this summer has been on something white/silver.

That one legit pulled me in the water a couple steps, it was a fight and a half on the tiny rod.

It also hit my buddy in the balls on the grab, it was wonderful but it meant I didn't get my own picture with it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Fish aren't real

Wake up sheeple

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

thought I was the only one in this thread. feels like the past 6 times fishing I haven't even gotten a nibble.
maybe I need to find a much smaller body of water, cause otherwise I could tell you that there are only 2 fish in this entire river and the only reason I know that is because I watched them hit the surface all around me all afternoon.

Decided to throw a frog into some pads since they were moving like the grass in Jurassic Park, got the only bite of the day but I didn't get a good hook set out of it. Sweated my balls off the rest of the day, now I'm convinced it was a game Warden with a snorkel loving with me.

First time I've been skunked in a decade, felt bad man

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

breaking news, i am a fish

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I hate trees, that was a 1/4 oz jig head traveling fast enough to whistle on it's way through my skull

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Well it looks like I'm getting a reel upgrade from a buddy. I got him a Lew's carbon fire 2000 reel for his birthday to put on his tiny rod, and he's giving me some sort of weird reel from a brand I've never heard of. I think he called it a "favorite fishing phantom" spinning reel. Y'all ever heard of it?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Took my partner fishing for the first time in her life, and I'm so proud of her. She ended up nailing a baby large mouth, a channel cat, and the first pumpkinseed I've ever seen come out of this lake in less than 2 hours. She had the fight of her life on her hands with that channel cat on an ultralight crappie setup with 4lb line.

She is excited to go again. She brought a book and never opened it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

murk posted:

Just getting started again after like 20+ years. Previous experience was basically only catching pan fish. I don't really remember any of the details lol. I currently have 2 x Zebco 33 spincasters from a previous single attempt at fishing about 5 - 7 years ago.

I'm in the midwest doing lake\pond fishing from the shore. I did some research and landed on weedless texas rigged plastic worms. I did catch about 1 lb large mouth bass with it so that gave me some confidence that it works. I would like to do some bluegill\sunfish type fishing with a bobber along with my kids. What do you recommend?

Also, I'm curious about what type\strength line do you think the Zebco came with? Is it something I need to replace? I don't guess ive had issues beyond it being a dark color and its kind of hard to see. With all hobbies my favorite part is accessorizing and upgrading. I think I would like to experiment with a open face rod and reel for general fishing under the conditions listed above. Should I be looking at a 6 - 7' medium light pole? Are 2 piece poles garbage? Any brand or model recommendations? What kind of line strength should I target for just... "general" fishing? There are sooo many choices.

That line is probably in the 6lb test region. Age has probably not been kind to it. Walmart sells a decent ugly stik gx2 combo in the size you are looking for for 50 bucks or so, I'd recommend that if you don't want to get weird with it.

If you do want to get weird with it, an ugly stik dock runner rod is hilarious fun when pond hopping. Put 10lb mono on it and let it rip.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I traded one of my kayaks for a 10ft pond prowler, 40lb minnkota, and frankly giant deep cycle marine battery.

I think I did pretty good. Inaugural trip is scheduled for tomorrow. I am wildly excited.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sickening posted:

The weaknesses of those kind of boats are mostly that they are hard to transport because they are heavy af and they do even worse in the wind than kayaks. Otherwise, its a great platform.

It feels way lighter than the 12 foot kayak that I traded for it. It's also only for when I've got another person with me, otherwise I'm taking out the 10 foot fishing kayak. Wind is gonna suck, but that's what anchors are for. Going to burn up stumpy lake all day tomorrow. I'm gonna need more beer.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sickening posted:

The weaknesses of those kind of boats are mostly that they are hard to transport because they are heavy af and they do even worse in the wind than kayaks. Otherwise, its a great platform.

Basically no wind all day, I really felt the 105 degree heart index. Boat went amazingly well even when towing two idiots in kayaks. With the heat the way it was I came prepared for the poo poo bite, I was the only one to catch anything until the evening because of the much looked down upon secret technique of "nightcrawlers and a bobber"

All I caught all day was 2lb catfish, but I caught a bunch of em. Bringing a cooler full of ice next time drat

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
i look like a trailer park lobster

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Captain Toasted posted:

Is there an actual reason why people look down on this? It catches fish, I'm there to catch fish, why would I not use the technique that catches fish?

The most stated reason is "bass fishing takes skill unlike what you are doing"

Can't get it through their tough rear end heads that with it being so abysmally hot anything you throw that's large or moves too much is unlikely to get a hit in a lake that maxes out at 7ft deep. The nightcrawler is catching literally everything in the lake from 5lb channel cats to 4lb bass. They just don't like putting away the knowledge that googan squad has imparted upon them from *checks notes* fishing stocked ponds in Florida or whatever

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

what is it like to be able to see a fish in the water you're fishing?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
My buddy lucked into another boat, this time it's a small Jon boat with a decent outboard on it. Help me convince him we need to put the motor on the pond prowler.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

It's a 6hp mercury outboard, and it's options are a tippy 14ft Jon boat or a super stable 10ft pond prowler.

By itself the motor cost more than we paid for the whole boat, including a nice net and like 5 decent knives we found with the life vests.

The pond prowler already has a nice 40lb trolling motor and marine battery, so putting the outboard on it feels like a no brainer for being able to jet around lakes like big boys while still having the ability to slide through areas quietly.

He wants to have two separate boats though, for no stated reason, because between the two of us we only have one vehicle that can tow.

I want to make wakes with a pond prowler

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

nieces went out on the dock fishing tonight and the four year old hooked into a legit 3-4 pound bass on one of those little 10 dollar 3 foot pink walmart jobs we put a speed worm on. she cast like three feet from the dock and says "i think i'm hooked on something" then her rod twitches. her sister helped her reel it in and everyone ran down to look and we took pictures, was awesome.

surprised that little rod handled that much action

Those things are solid fiberglass and will put up with a lot more than you'd think, I exclusively use a dock runner to fish freshwater and it hasn't failed me yet. My partner has recently boat flipped a 3lber with one, it's great.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

Anyone buy tackle on Temu? Seems like I could save a decent chunk of change by ordering from there.

Everything is cheap but works. I'd avoid the rods and reels, but the line is Good Enough even though it's dirt cheap.

I bought jig heads in bulk from temu, which means any time I hook into a bass with one I get to add to the collection of hooks that have been bent straight lol

The soft plastics, the chatterbaits, and the frogs are an incredible value though. Would recommend.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
A big ole warm front came through a couple days ago, so I decided to spend the afternoon bank fishing around the points of some inlets

I absolutely destroyed bass and somehow a crappie with a big rear end rattletrap

Why did you hit that, crappie

It's half the size of you

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

I got an ugly stik dock runner and a 14' cane pole
time 2 attack some creeks

yessssss another one joins the flock

Dockrunner Uber alles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Also: it was way too cold to throw on the waders today

Did it anyway

My balls have receded and a carp hit me in the chest