Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have a canoe rod holder recommendation for trolling for walleye?

Not sure if you ever got answered bud (just found the thread and working my way through).
I just bought 2 rod holders today. 1 stealth qr with the rail mount to go on my thwart for the back paddler (this works for Souris River canoes, which use a 1 inch rail for thwarts ), and a Scotty baitcaster/spinner with the 440 mount which is specifically designed for gunnels. The standard clamp mount is not!

I ended up choosing these two after seeing them in heavy use by a couple canoe YouTube guys (canoe the north and lost lakes backcountry angling). Lots of footage of these in use for walleye, pike, smallies, and lake trout on those channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Hellp me goons, I have gone crazy.

I spent most my childhood being forced to fish by my dad and hated it. Catching fish was cool but being forced to sit in a boat for 3 hours when the bite was off was agony for an 8 year old.

Once I left the nest I stopped completely, but might go out with pops and my brother a couple times if we rented a cottage.. if the bite were on! I was right as a kid. Catching fish is good, fishing is bad.

Last summer I planned a canoe trip through some lakes that normally host American fly-ins. With covid we'd have them all to ourselves, so I decided to bring a fishing rod on a canoe trip for the first time.
It was loving awesome and I loved it. I caught 4 walleye over 24 inches the first night and tons of fat smallies. No surprise though, catching fish has always been fun.

Riding that high I started fishing some local waters, obviously without the level of success as pristine lakes in Northern Ontario in June... But it wasn't bad.. I went out, didn't catch fish, and didn't hate it?

Skip to this winter and I've gone nuts.. I asked my wife for a portable fish finder for Christmas, I'm planning out rod holders and bait stations for my canoe, I'm centering canoe trips around productive fishing spots, and now I'm googling loving dickspoons.
What has happened to me? Am I an old now? Fishing is bad.. and I love it

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Sickening posted:

Get back to us when your canoe turns into a john boat and your zooming around the lake.

I am taking my glitter rocket out to hit up the lakes in central texas where fish are just starting to spawn. poo poo is crazy.
Haha.. I think I might be safe from that level of escalation.

I think a big part of my conversion is the canoe itself.
I've always fished from motor boats and ripping around from spot to spot, while efficient, just feels like transportation..
In the canoe the getting around itself is enjoyable. I can just cruise along and cast at whatever on my way, or throw out some line and troll while leisurely paddling.

I can also get in places, and entire bodies of water no one else can. Not even the kayakers :cool:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Sickening posted:

I can’t quite fathom what a canoe can get in that a kayak can’t these days. I would figure a canoe has more vessel under the waterline.

Land. Canoes are much lighter and less awkward to carry. If I put a couple KM portage in, I can be confident not many people will be fishing there.

The biggest difference of course would be tripping.
A canoe can contain all of your gear and provisions for a multi week trip that allows you to access fisheries that no one else can, especially in parks that don't allow fly-ins.
Apparently some of the best trout fishing in the world is spring in a couple of the far corners of Algonquin park. Might have to make a go of it this spring!

But yeah, on a day trip or the same body of water, a kayak will typically get around a bit faster, and the canoe will be more roomy. The pedal drive kayaks certainly have a big advantage being able to move and freely cast at the same time.

Edit: this is specific to the region I live in. If I were on big water, ease of carrying my craft wouldn't be such a highlight feature.. and I don't think I'd take my canoe on the ocean, period.

Math You fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 4, 2021

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Sickening posted:

Maybe this is a language barrier issue. They make kayaks my 6 year old can pick up and carry. I can assure you, wherever you can carry your canoe , someone can carry their kayak if they are using one meant to be light.

A canoe is still going to be lighter on average, and especially when you start looking at things like carrying capacity. My canoe is 40lbs and can carry well in excess of 600lbs, and that's just not something you will ever replicate in a yak.

Even then, the weight isn't the issue. It's how you bear the load. The way I've carried a kayak is up on one shoulder, and seems to be the most common. I've seen some people strap padding to the seat and balance them on their heads. No matter how light your kayak is, carrying one for an hour uninterrupted like this will suck.
A canoe has a thwart placed at the center that allows you to carry it perfectly balanced on your shoulders. Oh, and only half of your party has to carry a boat at all!

So yeah, you can carry a kayak. Out for a day trip or for short distances it's fine, but for tripping into remote areas where you are carrying gear and food, you want a canoe. They are simply two very different tools.

I think it's a pretty interesting regional disconnect. Here in Ontario the canoe is an incredibly culturally significant watercraft, and the type of tripping I'm referring to is quite popular.. but kayaks have become dominant recreationally. So we're starting to see things like a boom in solo and pack canoes, which cater to people who are comfortable in a kayak but want to try canoe camping.
It's always fun to hear from people other areas where what's "common knowledge" to me raises eyebrows.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
As a dude who's generally used scavenged or inherited tackle, I don't really have a gauge for which size dickspoon is appropriate for the species I target, not being able to see how big they are in person.

I live in Ontario and fish for walleye and brook trout where I can. Otherwise I'll target bass and smaller pike.

Does Sir Kobolds ship to Canada?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Walleye fishing is open through bass spawning season here, but I have always just waited for bass season to open because I don't want to be an accidentally poacher.

I've never found a walleye hole where I didn't also catch bass.. is it some sort of seasonal thing where the bass stick to the shore line, or avoid deeper water?

If anyone has tips or some decent articles on the subject that would be greatly appreciated.. would be nice to fish earlier than the third week of June for once!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I was gonna take a shot at spring brookies this year and Ontario just closed all parks AND crown land.

I spent about a month over the course of summer 2020 on an empty crown land lake (that ordinarily is fly in only) and it was not just a good summer "considering COVID" but genuinely one of the most enjoyable in my life. Fuckin covidiots ruin everything.

I can maybe tolerate this through bug season but holy moly please jeebus let me canoe camp come July :ohdear:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Does anyone have some insight into the back end of how stocking is managed? I'm just curious how they go about raising millions of trout, walleye, etc to dump into lakes every year.. how they identify and access lakes, whatever else.

I've been to some pretty remote lakes that are stocked and like.. how? ATV trails? Float planes? How many liters of water do you need to transport 2000 trout fry? Are they transplanted as fry?... That itself is another assumption. Are there giant tanks of domestic fish they harvest from? So many questions!

Math You fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 13, 2021

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Safety Dance posted:

https://youtu.be/-8bwZPIzuug

If the lake is pretty remote, they don't even bother landing the plane

:krad:

I knew I could probably find a lot of resources with a few Google searches but I'm spoiled with being spoon fed the best stuff at request. Thank you, goon sir!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If you are interested in moving fish from point a to point be, I assume you're aware of the salmon cannon?

You had me all :eyepop: for a second there, but then I remembered the canon* from years ago.

Cool update, they now have self loading salmon portals in place at dams which function as fish ladder alternatives, as opposed to the original canon* which was hand loaded.

*They removed an n from "cannon" because CANNONS KILL PEOPLE AND ARE BAD... So it's only cool to name your product after them phonetically

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
It's a lot easier to get a gentle handle on fish for a photo of you aren't the camera man. I don't like handling fish one handed so if I'm solo I generally don't take pictures or take them from inside the net.

https://youtu.be/6iWjJ1Z_YIo&t=36m12s

This guy has had me rethink the way I've handled fish, especially when I'm practicing catch and release. It doesn't mean much if you're causing fatal injuries to the fish after all.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
What species of fish do y'all bleed? I've spent most my life eating prominently walleye and smallies and we just clubbed and filleted them.
I've just taken to brook trout which are the first species I've had to gut and clean so that's been a bit of an experience but still no gill cutting.

I've only seen it a few times and I gotta admit it makes me a bit squeamish.. Seeing blood squirt out of an artery sure makes me feel a lot more closely related to the poor buggers.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Sign me up for some ball sack jigs!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

therunningman posted:

Thanks! A 9" brown is amazing for a first catch. Brown trout is an introduced species in a few streams around here, I'd love to catch one some time.
You're right about the net, I am always a little hesitant to bring it but I found it helpful to gently contain the little guy when removing the hook.

You had the right idea the first time. The net used properly allows you to keep the fish in the water while you prepare to remove the hook, and is all over a lot easier on them.
If you are intending to practice catch and release, the fish surviving your encounter is pretty essential to the concept.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I straight up caught a seagull as a kid. Was just casting a shad crankbait off a dock, and noticed that I had a bird's nest starting up. When I was pulling line out to fix it, my lure floated up and Mr. Seagull took it.

Actually hooked the fucker too, so I had to reel him down where a bystander accosted me for my cruelty ( :confused: ) and another got a pair of gloves and pliers to free the poor bastard.
Hook set cleanly in his bill, luckily. Took some work but good simaritan got it out and the gull flew off seemingly no worse for the wear.

Still have that lure 20+ years on, and caught a bunch of smallies trolling with it this year.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

DoctaFun posted:

Hey fishing thread! I think I may have posted in here awhile back, but mainly posted in the ask/tell version.

I mainly fish walleye, northern pike, and panfish in Minnesota. But I’m super psyched because I’m going on a trip to northern Ontario in two weeks to chase some giant pike and maybe some lake trout too!

I caught a 42.5” northern at this lodge in the fall, and they get them in the 45-46” range up there!

Also, I picked up a Garmin Livescope the other day and holy crap is it amazing.

Where abouts in Ontario? Ice out in Algonquin park is usually mid April and that's only Central Ontario. A lot of North West Ontario can hold ice well into May.

That said, ice out usually means NO MORE ICE and there can be plenty of open water before that happens. I'm sure they wouldn't book you at a lodge if they were going to be iced over!

Reading this gave me a little flashback of breaking ice in front of the boat with an axe on Lady Evelyn many years back. We caught a lot of walleye on that trip.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I agree that Mr. Texas doesn't have much of an understanding of ice fishing. Small lakes 100% get fished the gently caress out over winter when the hogs come out with their ATVs and binge drink while they pull up everything.
There's a little cluster of lakes not too far from me that get stocked with trout each year in the spring. I went after ice out one year with my canoe and there was nothing at all. Happened upon some locals a bit later on and they told us they are emptied out the first few weeks after the ice is thick enough to fish.

That said, my example is a small cluster of lakes which are situated on relatively accessible crown land* 45 minutes from a city of a million people, in a region where crown land isn't exactly wide spread.
I don't think a larger lake 8 hours from any major municipality, with thousands of crown land lakes around, is at any risk of being fished out. However, OP was put on those fish by the guides at the lodge and there's an argument to be made about the proprietary nature of that information. A large part of why you visit a lodge is for that knowledge. I could probably camp on that lake for free.

Side chat: bringing a canoe to lakes with fly in lodges is novel. People are either very impressed by the fact you got yourself there, or very angry that you are fishing the lake they paid $$ to access and assumed would be completely private.

* Crown land is public land in Canada. In Ontario it's all mapped and zoned online, so you can see where it is and what activities are permitted there. Basically the entire north of Ontario that's not immediately adjacent to a road, or in a park, is crown land and can be camped on for free if you are a Canadian citizen.. provided you have the knowledge to find it.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I like spoons because you can chuck them a lot further than inline spinners. You can also drop them into holes and jig them up. I still use my meps (and lots of other lures) but spoons are so flexible I probably have one on half of the time.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've had surprisingly few people yell at me for being near their dock, or on their creek or whatever else. I also haven't really gone out of my way to get onto water with difficult public access (in urban areas), so the people I run into likely see a fair number of people on the water.
While I'm not exactly Mr. Urban explorer I do most of my fishing on back country lakes, only really accessible by canoe, fly ins, and maybe some ATV trails originating from private property. Usually we just get looks, but a few years ago some Americans came over to yell at us for being on a lake because "we're the only party booked this week!"

Just a wildly "what the gently caress?" experience. Like I still cannot fathom how these people view the world.

Also happy to report that I broke my Northern Pike cherry and then caught 8 more. Nothing over 27 inches but still great fun. I can't believe it took me so long. Every trip I go on, a few incidental pike get caught. Just never by me!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Only critically endangered according to that Wikipedia article too. I uhh.. would not be too happy if I caught one of those and it died!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'm looking to get a new fillet knife. I've used cheapo Berkeley and Rapala knives over the years and I'd like something that holds an edge.
I don't really want to go all out on a wusthof or anything. Are there decent mid-priced knives worth the premium? I've been seeing the Bubba Blade 7.5" and Dalstrong 7" come up but thought I'd query the thread.

Fresh water btw. Mostly cleaning Walleye, Bass, and the occasional Pike. I don't fillet trout.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Sickening posted:

I am lazy and just use an electric knife. Its faster and easier, but less elegant. I have owned a few and I can't say there are any that I would have an issue with.

Sorry I should have noted I do most of my fish cleaning in the Backcountry

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I've only ever used spinning reels, as I only ever have one rod with me and I need to be able to do everything with it. Small and medium lures, trolling, jigging, etc.
My understanding is the baitcasters are really only for... casting baits. Do the BFCs just cast smaller baits than traditional ones? Is that enough for them to work with a single rod setup?
They sound pretty cool but I'm just not familiar enough with them to know if I'd run into issues.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'd confirm that the park allows live bait. A lot of Ontario Parks don't allow the use of minnows. It's not a brook trout lake so it seems unlikely but better safe than sorry.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Bass nest this time of year. Basically they guard their eggs, don't eat and attack anything that comes near.
This makes them easy as hell to catch and given they aren't eating, repeated fights will likely kill them. Their spawn is about guaranteed to die as well, and you also just took a breeding fish out of the population.

I personally just go after trout this time of the year because bass are super easy to catch accidentally.. but you're on a walleye and pike trip so I guess just change up if you keep catching smallies?

Oh and I'm not sure what your lodging sitch is but the bugs are really bad this year. Be prepared!

Edit #2: also there's a bunch of fires going and most of the province has a total fire ban

Math You fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 5, 2023

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The one time I caught a gar on hook and line, it didn't fight at all. It was just hydrodynamic deadweight. But that's only one experience. Bowfins on the other hand will be two pounds and fight like ten.

Their long rear end mouths make leverage a major factor. If they snag your bait at the end of their snout(?) you'll just pull them about with ease and they can't do poo poo.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Knocked another species off my list today.. twice. Caught a small 24" muskie in a beautiful barred pattern, and then 30 minutes later caught a much larger clear one at 32". Both small muskies but felt pretty special to someone like me, who catches primarily walleye and smallies.
Really surprised to see such a huge variation in their patterns in the same lake.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
So apparently two muskies was just an appetizer for me today..

42inches and we don't exactly have a bump board so it was curved while measuring. It could easily be a couple inches longer. Caught on 8lbs mono.

Math You fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 17, 2023

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Charliegrs posted:

8 pound mono? drat that must have been one hell of a fight. That would be considered ultralight for a 42" Musky.

Does anyone remember the fishing shows that used to come on Saturday mornings in the 90s? I think it was on the TNN network. I remember there was this one guy who was always fishing for huge fish with super light tackle and one time he caught something like a 250lb Beluga Sturgeon in Russia on 8 pound mono. I wish I could remember the guys name, he was a madman.

This one's a pike which makes it even more insanely big, and yeah the fight was unlike anything I've experienced. I thought I was pulling up a log until the angle of my line changed, it shook its head and just about ran off my spool. Got to enjoy that like 5 times.

Pulling it into the net I was convinced I'd snap my line but I wanted to bring it to a close. Picture and measuring was really rushed but it took off within about 5 seconds of being back in the water.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Southern Cassowary posted:

i just lost a 5 pound bass boat flipping and i'm prepping for a tournament so i need a net

what do y'all like in terms of length/net material? it's going to be out of a kayak. i'm debating on something with between a two and four foot handle and i'm pretty sure i want a rubber net but outside of that i know nothing about who makes good nets or what's good enough

Frabill floating trout net has served me well from a canoe. It's got a very short handle which means it's not taking up too much room and in a small solo craft you shouldn't really be needing to reach.

Otherwise it has a nice rubberized, hook resistant net that's quite deep. No worry about them jumping out and with the right technique you can keep fish in the water while you handle them.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
There's no point investing in base layers as some in between because you don't want a dry suit. They won't do anything if you go in the drink. The "basic gear" list is for getting hit with spray, or getting a bit wet getting into the boat.

I don't own a wet or dry suit and I do a little bit of cold water paddling each year. I have a dry bag with a full change of clothes in case something happens but my change of clothes can only save me if by some freak accident I flip over in calm water or just fall in at shore. Frankly, if it's bad enough that I go into the water I'm probably not making it out.

I only take this risk because I have spent literally hundreds of days in my canoe and have a pretty intimate knowledge of my limits with it. If you want to skimp on safety gear, buy a cheap recreational kayak and go straight to hypothermic waters you have a death wish, knowingly or not.
Wait til June and plan for next year when you know what you're getting into

I get you're not going to lake Superior or something, and maybe you'd take a lot of the right precautions regarding weather conditions as well.. but I just wouldn't do it as someone unfamiliar with their craft let alone new to the sport.

Math You fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 17, 2024

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Second reel!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Honestly I find smallies and pike to be almost as good as walleye.. but I fish in colder water in northern Ontario. Also, brook trout is a whole other thing. Mmmmmmmm

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

wesleywillis posted:

If I wanted to fish for pike, what is a "pike only" lure besides a red and white daredevil spoon?

The reason I ask is because pike is open here but bass isn't till the end of June. And typically where I find pike, like weed beds etc.. I find (largemouth ) bass. I typically catch bith on the same lures, top waters and weedless type stuff.

I know of course that if I drag anything in front of a bass and it's hungry or angry enough it might bite at it anyways but i want to try to avoid incidental bites if I can help it because they're spawning right around now.

I'd probably be fishing around the Toronto islands and western lake Ontario but not Hamilton Harbour

E: musky isn't open yet that I recall. But there are supposed to be some in the islands. Will try to avoid, but they seem to like the same stuff as pike..

Pike really go everywhere so size up the bait a bit and try to avoid the bass. The biggest pike and musky I've caught have been trolling about 10ft deep in 14-17ft of water.. when targeting walleye, lol.. but that'd keep you away from largemouth for sure.

Honestly I feel the same way about it and often delay fishing bass lakes until the season opens.

On that note I just returned from two nights camping on a back country lake with only Brook Trout and Lake Trout in it (for game fish). First time doing a spring trout trip and it was pretty cool fishing for trout without tons of weights. Got super bored though, and didn't feel like persisting with it when the weather kicked up. Next time I'll need to bring someone with me.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I just read a very offensive article about Flathead Catfish: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...5e58f83db&ei=20

I never thought of flatties as an invasive species. I guess they're not supposed to go so far north? But this article is talking about removing them from rivers in Georgia. I didn't know they were from Mexico, but this article goes out of its way to point out the invaders are from Mexico.

Then they go on and on about noodling like that's the preferred method to catch flatheads and the only people interested in catching them are hillbilly handfishers.

Just a totally biased article. In-Fisherman has written articles about angling for flatheads for decades. They're not evil invading river monsters targeted exclusively by deranged noodlers, damnit.

I didn't read this particular article on the subject, but uhhh invasive species are in fact very bad not because they are rapists and murderers or otherwise bad fishes but because they wholly gently caress the ecology of the waters they move to.
Pike and smallmouth bass have almost completely destroyed Brook Trout populations in most of NA and it's shocking how quickly they can take over once introduced.
There's a section of Algonquin Park where some rear end in a top hat brought Northern Pike to in the early 2000s. 20 years later there are no Brook Trout in the connected lakes. Luckily Pike don't move upstream or over dams easily or else that fishery would be gone by now.

Lots of folks think this is all cool and good because bass are easier to catch than trout which is why the only remaining trout lakes are in remote areas mostly without car access.

That said it'll certainly be cool to catch a huge rear end flathead sometime in the future.. it'll just suck for whatever species get displaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Sickening posted:

Does it make a difference? Yes. Is it worth the hassle of replacing your current sunglasses or dealing with issues of wearing prescriptions, well that is up to each person.

I wear a nice pair of costa's about anytime I go outside and its some of the best money I have ever spent.

I'd also say it really depends where you are going. I also live in an area with tea stained / murkier water but I never go out without my polarized lenses.
Why? They let me see 1-3 feet into the water which while not enough to spot fish in most cases, is enough to see rocks and other hazards I might hit.. but again I'm usually in unmaintained bodies of water with no markers.