Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Caught a honker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Anyhow I did a bunch of urban fishing this spring and it was real good.

welcome fellow downtown fisher

you havent lived until you have pulled a 30 inch striper out of the water as a group of teenagers trying to enjoy their waterfront lunch stare in horror

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The low pressure made the canal very hit or miss this morning. My crew had medium luck but two guys across the way used some sort of sorcery and caught like 7 enormous fish.

we got 1 keeper and are making dinner with it now

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Launched a 5 ounce jig about 100 yds/cast this morning and now my rotator cuff is acting up. Also got skunked, 0/10 bad fishing day

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Just watched Roland Martin YouTube videos for an hour on a bike trainer and now I’m going fishing even though I hadn’t planned to this morning

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

saltwater-wise, it's frequently spectacularly weird. After Hurricane Emily they were catching sailfish off the piers on the Outer Banks

Dope as hell

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Syano posted:

Hey gang... going to be heading to Destin in a couple weeks and would love to fish some while there. Will have to be all from shore.... I guess beach into surf? I dunno. I guess that is what I am asking. If you were going to take some equipment normally used for large mouth and try to adapt it to a couple days in Destin/on the Gulf... what sort of baits would you take and how/where should I be casting? Any info you got would be helpful

fishing Florida from the beach can be a ton of fun but I think it might be tough with bass gear. What size rod are you planning on bringing along? I ask because getting over the breaking waves is going to be important.

Also, watch some videos on identifying riptides and how to fish them. It’s going to do a lot of the work for you if you can find one.

As for baits/lures, it really depends. Do you want to throw out a Carolina rig with cut bait and let it soak or do you prefer a more active process. If you want to be active, I fished destin wish some z man plastics that worked really well. They have a great wiggle to them and are pretty durable so you can use them over and over

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Just put in my yearly order for all various jigs, plastics, and top water bullshit I use for stripers and got a reel upgrade. Dreaming of big fish my friends

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Rythe posted:

I need a recommendation on a catfish rod and reel as my heaviest set-up I currently own can support 14 lb test at the most. My area is know for some massive catfish and I would like to be able to comfortably target 30+ pounds, it's not uncommon to see people pulling up giant fish on the river.

Especially now that I have my boat I have better and longer range access then my kayak afforded me.

I use a 12 ft surf rod for catfish. Partially, because that’s what I have and partially because the crossover between catching massive saltwater fish and massive catfish is there. If you ever think you are going to be fishing on the coast and he’s to hit spots a football field out, get a 12 ft tiralejo and have it double as your catfish rod. If you aren’t going to hit the surf, it’s overkill though

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
dumb q here: I’m riding my bike from the east coast to the west coast and would like to fish along the way. Do your states offer like 3 day fishing licenses and stuff for tourists or is it just full year? Obviously this is going to vary state to state I’m just kind of sampling the thread because I haven’t locked down the exact route yet. Would love to ride until I see some good water, fish, and then move on but it might be too much of a hassle.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sickening posted:

Anyone try the new line of shimano baitcasting reels that are designed to replace spinning rigs? BFS?

Am I being con'd or are these the real deal?7

I’m using one to fish right now. I really like it. I just caught a few schoolie Striper with it in some saltwater and then packed it on my bike and caught two trout with it in upstate New York. Works great.

It also soothes my brain to have shimano drivetrain on my bike and shimano fishing gear. Gotta always be matching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sickening posted:

I have fished all my life and nothing drives me up a wall more than light line on a spinning reel. It feels awful to cast, the line twist is loving gross, and I will deal with a birdnest all day compared to the murder scenes that happen when line gets all twisted up in a spinning reel.

The shimano curado has a bfs coming out next month on preorder. I just bought one because I am dumb. I hope this thing turns out legit. I am a little skeptical at only being able to spool up 40 yards of 8lb line, but there is a chance that this is just better than spooling up 200 yards of lines you will only ever use 30% of.

It’s not just preorder, some units have already hit stateside for the 2021 bfs. I got mine from our local guy 2 weeks ago and it’s great for what it is. From what I gather the distribution network is all kinds of screwed up right now from shimano