Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I totaled my blazer a couple of years ago, and my tackle was one of the casualties - rods snapped in multiple places, good reels crushed, tacklebox scattered to hell and gone. Needless to say, I haven't had the heart for fishing since.

But that was then, and I'm thinking about throwing hundreds of dollars in the trash buying lures only to get outfished by children smart enough to baitfish instead getting back into the game. That being said, this time I want my unicorn rod - fiberglass 7.5'-8', medium-to-slow action spincast rod. I'm a bank fisher, so I want to be able to launch lures into low earth orbit. Is there any manufacturer still making fiberglass rods, or am I heading down the rabbit hole of rolling my own rod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yond Cassius posted:

It's expensive and four inches short of heaven for you :haw:, but the St. Croix "Legend Glass" might fit your bill. You're looking for LGS72MM.

Are you looking for a pure fiberglass rod, or are hybrids on the table? Hybrids open up a lot of options, I think.

Frankly, what I want is an old Eagle Claw rod like I grew up with, except one that I can mount a modern spinning reel on. Carbon fiber just doesn't feel the same in my hands. I would have to try a hybrid before I bought one.

e. Uhh... https://www.eagleclaw.com/cg-eagle-claw-crafted-glass-rods If I'm looking for a modernized old Eagle Claw fiberglass rod, maybe I should have checked Eagle Claw to begin with.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 19, 2020

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I never caught anything but carp with these. But that was okay, carp put up a hell of a fight, even if I didn't get to eat them.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

You have never properly lure fished until you hook a brand new $20 lure on a snag and lose it on the first cast.

(Join in my pain.)

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The best catching rattletrap I ever had was a Wal-Mart discount. It just so happened to look more like an actual shad than anything else I had, which made it good for Lake Meredith.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

My observation has always been, overfishing isn't the problem. The problem is, humans are garbage and won't take care of the land around good fishing holes. I used to know a good farm pond in western OK, the farmer kept it stocked and let people come fish it, just clean up your mess and don't come out while his cattle were grazing around it. Word got around about it, and the next thing you know it's a teenage party spot, beer bottles everywhere and burn scars from camp fires and people loving with his cows, and then my little brother and I get confronted with an angry farmer holding a shotgun on what we thought was an innocent Saturday morning spent fishing. By the time I graduated high school, there was multiple barbed wire fences blocking access to a pond the farmer quit stocking.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Been gathering some tackle, debating on what reel to put on my brand-new Eagle Claw fiberglass rod. My brother just casually tosses me an old 70's Zebco 404 he's tinkered with, and goddamn I should have just gone trawling ebay for old tackle. Even after all this time the 404 feels more natural to me and I have better lure placement with it than with any spinning reel I've tried in the past twenty years.

So yeah, welcome back to the spincast club, etc.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm probably going to buy a new spincast reel, though, there are bound to be huge improvements over the years.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Thinking about rods, I got an 8'6" rod because I'm a bank fisherman and have always thought longer rods meant I could launch lures further. Is this a wrong assumption? Would I be better served by a shorter rod?
I mostly fish lakes and ponds, there are very few rivers to fish near me.

For the record, I have super drowning skills and don't like boats.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 12, 2020

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, baitcasters are not for me. I got real tired of backlash and birds nests real quick.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

99% of tackle is intended to catch fishermen in the store, not fish on the water.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Brother is moving to a spot in Oklahoma absolutely drowning in good fishing holes, and is all bragging about becoming a daily fisherman again. Also asked for his tweaked 404 back. I may have to hurt him.

Here's the real problem I have in the Texas panhandle. There are maybe six lakes in easy driving distance, they're all built in canyons so you basically require a boat, and they all get intense fishing pressure because there's nowhere else to go. There are no rivers, no stocked farm ponds, nothing but this tiny handful of lakes. So I have to set aside a day for nothing but fishing, fight my way through a crowd to reach the water, and then get spanked for the day because only the smart fish are left. I am so loving envious of my brother right now that some Cain and Abel poo poo might have to go down.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, fishing pressure directly leads to frustration at bad fishing. You got to go where the dumb fish live, not where all the dumb ones were already caught and only the smart ones now live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Panfish? Never underestimate the utility of an old Zebco 202 on an ultralight rod. Thats something I firmly believed even before my eyes were reopen to spincast reels.