Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I’ve been fishing in rocky shallow parts of the very northern part of the Mississippi. I caught 7 or 8 smallmouth the other evening over the course of 30-45 minutes just casting plastic Ned rigs. Being rocky though, I am finding I lose a bunch of lures.

Is there another way that I’d be less likely to get so many snags and fish in the same area? I am using a St Croix 6’6” Eyecon Walleye medium-light fast action rod and a Legalis LT2000 reel with 6 lbs mono. I have very little freshwater fishing experience so this is all new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

How do you reel in a fly rod? Is it just like a regular fishing pole? All the videos I see show it never really being used since it seems like you just pull all the slack line down and then cast the fly back out. What happens when you hook a fish though? Is there drag or do you just grab the line with your fingers and hope it doesn’t burn the poo poo out of your hand?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jonny 290 posted:

Speakin of which. Shoes? Thinking some low hikers would be nice on rocky/unsteady shores, but am also thinking they might get heavy as gently caress when - not if - i gotta get in water or god forbid mud. Or should i just recommission last season's sneakers or what?

https://www.teva.com/men-sandals/original-universal/1004006.html

I bought those for a canoe trip through the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota. I fish wearing them while I wade in the Mississippi and they are perfect for protecting my feet from the bottom of the river. They fit great and wear to form an imprint of your foot so they get super comfy. Not the most stylish things ever made but I love them.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

crazypeltast52 posted:

GOONFISH ICE CLASSIC (1/29-1/30/2022) Lake Minnetonka, MN

Continuing to promote the upcoming goonfish, we will be meeting on Excelsior Bay starting at 9 AM and going until like 3 or so. Drop in whenever, leave whenever. I have augers, rods and a heated ice tent. You just need to dress warm and have a fishing license (MN sells 2-day ones if you are only fishing the once)

Park here and walk northeast until you are on the water and see goons (You'll know us when you see us).
https://www.ci.excelsior.mn.us/181/For-Visitors-Customers

Quoting this here to confirm that I will be at goonfish Lake Minnetonka. I have ordered Carhartt Yukon Extremes bibs and jacket and will pick up a cheap winter rod/reel combo before the event.

Let me know what kind of line and tackle I should pick up. I've never ice fished before and am sure I need to get whatever stuff we need to catch fishes.

I will also supply some beer for the event to keep us hydrated.

Edit- Also vaxxed and boosted. I know covid safety precautions are always a consideration.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 5, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

crazypeltast52 posted:

Reposting to make sure you all know it is this weekend:

KOBOLDS WORKSHOP ICE CLASSIC GOONFISH 2022 (1/29-1/30/2022) Lake Minnetonka, MN

Continuing to promote the upcoming goonfish, we will be meeting on Excelsior Bay starting at 9 AM and going until like 3 or so. Drop in whenever, leave whenever. I have augers, rods and a heated ice tent. You just need to dress warm and have a fishing license (MN sells 2-day ones if you are only fishing the once). Also, please be vaccinated.

Park here and walk northeast until you are on the water and see goons (You'll know us when you see us).
https://www.ci.excelsior.mn.us/181/For-Visitors-Customers

Checking in to say I will be at Goonfish this weekend. If I get murdered or fall into the lake and drown somehow, it was good knowing some of you.

Watch me not be able to find the group and wind up walking around asking random fishermen if they have stairs in their house or something equally stupid.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 28, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Valt posted:

Oh I have been looking but finding a used rod that isn't a cabellas rod or something like that is difficult at best. I see orvis and sage rods for 200 or so, but thats without a reel.

I was looking at 10 weights since I'm interested in fishing for tarpon and the recommended rod sizes for that is generally between 10 and 12. They also recommend a decent reel since those fish actually run. TFO sells a combo for 250 but it only comes in an 8wt, same for orvis clearwater it only comes in the combo as a 8wt. However you can buy a 10wt clearwater rod.

The spool idea is a good one, but my clearwater reel is a II so it only supports line sizes up to 6wt. I would probably just go with the TFO NTR reel as it goes up to 10wt. Though I'm going to continue to cruise facebook and craigslist for used stuff since I bet someone will be selling a complete 10wt setup at some point.

The Orvis store near me will give you the combo price on any weight rod/reel. They only had 5wt combos in stock but put together an 8wt for me for 20 bucks more (large arbor reel w/ 8wt was a little pricier). The only thing I didn’t get was the bag that lets you keep the reel attached. I got a rod case and a pullstring sack for the reel.

They swapped out the Clearwater line(MSRP $49) for Pro Power Taper Textured (MSRP $129) for an extra $50. So Clearwater 8wt 9ft combo retails for $419. I paid $479 for all the stuff with the better line.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 6, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Woodpile posted:

Went fishing last weekend in the first time in ages. Surf fishing. The least productive fishing known to man and woman. Topsail, NC. Rough surf, high winds and I got skunked.

So gonna have to go to the river and catch some easy catfish to break my ennui.

Go to the end of the pier instead. I used to night fish their every weekend and it’d top anything I did on my boat in the inter coastal waterway.

Seriously. Ten years ago there used to be a bait shop at the base of the pier. Get some baitfish or shrimp and Carolina rigs or whatever the folks there recommend you throw on the end of whatever inexpensive rod/reel setup you have and fish all night while the cool ocean breeze blows past you.

Some of the best memories I have of ocean fishing were on that pier. It’s one of the longest on the east coast. You can catch everything from drum and flounder to kingfish if you get a spot at the very end of the pier.

https://www.surfcityoceanpier.com/

Hekk fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 13, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LeeMajors posted:

I am getting frustrated by fly fishing but I need to practice more. I'm getting really good at twisting up the end of my tippet to where it likes to tie itself in knots. Almost assuredly my technique or maybe poor fly choice? It's just a little foam popper, panfish size.

I know it takes a lot of practice but I am not having a good time lol

Slow down your back cast. When you don't pause, it causes that snap and knots up the end of your line. It might even help if you went to a pond or lake and put the line in the water and practice roll casting first.

https://midcurrent.com/techniques/fly-casting-how-to-avoid-tailing-loops/

Also, if there is an Orvis store near you they offer free fly fishing 101 and 201 classes. 101 is mostly in the parking lot working on basic casts. 201 is at a local pond catching panfish.

Anything on youtube put out by Orvis seems to be pretty decent quality. I am pretty new to fly fishing too but it takes like zero practice to go out to a pond and catch a ton of panfish on a fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHMfCJINGJM

Hekk fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 1, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Valt posted:

You also want to make sure you are popping to a stop. You really want to pick the line up in one quick motion stop at the top of your back cast then come forward. The whole point being that you are trying to load the rod. Pete Kutzer explains really well here. If you have line just falling behind your line speed is probably not enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDJJ6W23gHw

Yeah I shouldn’t have said “slow down your back cast” and instead said “lengthen the pause in your back cast”. I stood in my yard over an entire weekend and absolutely thrashed a leader and tippet before I got the timing down enough to feel comfortable.

If you practice with the same length of line, the timing will always be the same. Just know that as you shorten or lengthen line that will also mean you need to hold that pause less or more. Looking over your shoulder to see the line helps give a good visual indicator too.

The other big thing I found myself doing when first starting out was trying to muscle my casts. I do much better when my arm is relaxed and it’s all a kind of flicking motion. It doesn’t matter had hard I try to push or pull with my arm, I don’t cast better and just tire myself out.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DoctaFun posted:

I just broke down and bought a cheap 3wt. fly rod setup to try to learn how to fly fish! I just picked up a MAXCATCH Epic rod and reel, which had decent reviews for getting started. I was about to pull the trigger on a TFO rod with Lamson liquid reel but then I just felt like for a bluegill rod do I really need anything that nice to get going?

I’m going to start with bluegill/crappie fishing, which I’m pretty excited about it! I have a trip to Yosemite with the family in like three weeks, so there’s an outside shot I’m going to get a chance to chase some small rainbows or something. Not sure if the 3wt is the best for that though.

Any recommendations for line/leader/tippet for chasing bluegill?

I work from home so I’m very much planning on just practicing casts in my yard over lunch/between meetings.

I am still pretty new to fly fishing so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I caught probably two dozen bluegill and sunfish on the most beat up line and leader I'd seen on a loaner Orvis Clearwater when I was doing their fly fishing 201 class. Panfish seem to not be picky about anything so you can get away with not spending a ton on equipment. I linked some Rio stuff that isn't expensive. There is cheaper stuff out there but I don't know a ton of brands yet so I stuck with brands I know not to be trash.

Cheap Rio 3wt line.
https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Brands-6...ng%2C81&sr=1-25'

6x leader
https://www.amazon.com/Products-Lea...ng%2C89&sr=1-22

6x tippet
https://www.amazon.com/RIO-Fishing-...ng%2C102&sr=1-4

You could go up to a 5x leader and maybe get a couple of different sized tippet so you can play around with different fly sizes but honestly I don't think panfish would give a poo poo either way.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Valt posted:

I pretty much exclusively use 4x tippet and leader on my rods. The only rod thats gets different is the 8wt where I use 0x and 2x. Bass and bluegill are not tippet shy and really won't care. You are right that you don't need some fancy setup to catch bluegill or bass. Take this for what you will but I bought a maxcatch reel and immediately did not like it. There was no pawl to keep the reel from just reeling in line as you are casting. Also the instant I put it in water it felt like it was full of gravel when reeling line in. My suggestion to new people is to go with a combo from one of the major manufacturers like orvis, tfo, or echo. They all make combos that are around $200 and are complete and ready to fish.

https://www.orvis.com/encounter-fly-rod-outfit/3AR9.html

https://tforods.com/product/nxt-black-label-kit/

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/echoliftkit/

I think the thing you will learn is that what rod size you want to use extremely depends on where you are fishing. For instance on the lake this weekend I only used the 8wt since I had plenty of room to make back casts and I needed to be able to push into the wind. However when fishing the smaller rivers and creeks here in texas I almost exclusively use my 3wt since its 6'9". This rod can't really make big long casts or cast into the wind very well but its good for short accurate casts.

I am fishing with an Orvis Clearwater 9ft 8wt and a Redington Trout Field Kit 9ft 5wt. I have 2x on the 8wt and 5x on the 5wt. I've never used 6x before but figured that was what people used on lower weight rods. I bought a spool holder of 2x-6x tippet so I can taper down to something that thin but it hasn't shipped yet.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You should share some spots with me. I am on the NW exburbs of Minneapolis and have been fishing the Mississippi and Crow rivers. I have a 5wt now and want to get into more streams but I don’t have a clue where to start outside of the lakes and access points in the Crow and Mississippi I know about.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pron on VHS posted:

Hello thread.

I am a new angler, and am going to go fish at Lake Fairfax later today. I got a pretty cheap Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Combo, and a huge pack of lures. Do I just tie the lure to the end of the line using a clinch knot, and then start casting away? Or do I need to also tie a bobbing thing to the line.

Can you snap a photo of or describe the lures? Are you fishing from the bank? On a dock? A boat? Are you trying to target any specific fish?

I ask because if you are just trying to catch whatever type of fish you can, it’d be super easy to start by targeting panfish (bluegill, sunfish, pumpkinseed, crappie, etc).

Whereas if you want to catch largemouth bass or something else, you might need a more focused setup and fishing strategy.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 11, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sickening posted:

Please join our offsite platform instead of just discussing it here.

It's a bit easier to separate niche information into discord channels than trying to scan through almost 60 pages of posts here.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Anytime you get down on yourself about what a lovely fly fisher you are just hop over to your nearest pond and cast trout sized flies to catch you some panfish. Bluegill will chomp on anything and are a blast to haul in.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

waffle enthusiast posted:

Major League Bassball

:discourse:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Charliegrs posted:

Any folks here have a boat and live in an apartment? How do you do it? Do you keep it in a storage unit?

Carry it on top of your truck? How big of a boat are we talking about? Like kayak or canoe? Bass boat on a trailer? 17' center console?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

T-Square posted:

Also have seen it recommended a hundred times to take a quick fly fishing lesson if you’re interested in it, and my girlfriend has mentioned she would love to get into fly fishing. I did not see anything from a cursory glance on BassProShop’s website though, do they not do anything like that anymore?

I don’t think Bass Pro Shops offer fly fishing classes. At least they don’t near me. There are a couple of routes you can take to get started.

1) Look for independent fly shops around you that host classes. The two shops near me charge 75-80 bucks for theirs.
2)Look for the nearest Orvis store and sign up for fly fishing 101. This is what I did because it’s free. Just know all of their advice is based around Orvis gear.

Orvis makes really good fishing equipment but their stores are like 90% upper middle class outdoorsy clothing with some fishing rods and a few flies in the corner. An independent fly shop is going to be much more focused on selling all the stuff you’ll want to use for fishing and won’t be limited to a single brand.

There is a ton of fly fishing stuff that is expensive because people like it to be expensive. The returns in quality compared to price are rapidly diminishing though. It’s mostly just rich people wanting expensive handcrafted stuff that catches fish just like the mass produced versions do. Just don’t feel like you have to drop a grand or more on a setup to get out on the water.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 9, 2023

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah if you are going to splurge anywhere, spend up on your fly line. Of all your pieces of gear, it’ll have the most impact on how easy it is to put your casts where you are aiming.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

waffle enthusiast posted:

Having better build quality, better line, and a warranty on a rod for not that much more is pretty great actually!

edit:

I mean this is true, too. It’s the telemark of fishing.

There is something to be said for enjoying the experience of casting a smooth fly line using a well balanced rod that seems to flex exactly how you want it to when casting. Almost like the setup becomes an extension of your arm and you are operating in perfect unison. Feeling that good about how great all of your equipment feels makes up for how many lovely outings you can have trying to catch things on a fly. It's not essential to catch fish but nice gear is more fun to use. Maybe not as fun to pay for, but what is?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

Would anyone care to critique my first fly setup before I make the purchase? Stuff is complex.

I pretty much exclusively kayak fish the San Marcos River in central Texas. It runs about 12ft deep and ~10 to 20ft wide. I've mostly caught bass on spinning gear, but thought it would be fun to see other species. There's panfish, cichlids, crappie, channel catfish, spotted gar, largemouth, smallmouth and guadalupe bass. With spinning gear, I don't often hook into largemouth over 5lbs and the biggest smallmouth I've seen is 4lbs.

Looking at Moonlit rods, fairly cheap modern glass that are nice and shiny. I thought I'd start with a 3wt, but multiple folks have instead suggested to start with a 5wt. I suppose that makes more sense if I'd want to be able to toss sinking nymphs and small streamers for black bass and sometimes target panfish.

So I'm looking at a Moonlit 5wt, maybe an Orvis Batenkill II or III, and not sure about the line. Moonlit has cheap $35 weight forward line on sale. Scientific Angler, I get a little lost on the temperature ratings. This week it's been between 104-107f but it's a spring-fed river with 72 degree water. Everyone says floating line until I get good, would sink tip be a mistake as a total newbie?

I feel like I'm so close to making the purchase, I'm just a little lost on which +/- $100 reel and which line. Won't be casting much beyond 30ft, usually much shorter.

Brain fried from trying hard to understand.

Phone posting from the road but I also fish bass on a fly in the river. With fly fishing in your price range the most important area to spend money is on a good fly line. Line > Rod > Reel is the order of importance. The only thing you need your reel to do is hold the line.

5wt is generally considered a great first setup because it’s the all arounder weight. You can fish panfish and small stuff but you can also throw medium sized flies and streamers for bigger fish.

Floating line is great. That doesn’t mean always fishing topwater since you will have a leader that sinks. A sinking or sinking tip line are great in niche circumstances but you can do 90% of everything you’d normally want with a floating line.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 21, 2023

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Losing lures in the river was what led me down the fly fishing path. I haven’t saved any money (quite the opposite) but I don’t feel bad about leaving dozens of hooks and plastic baits snagged along the bottom of the river anymore.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

KingKapalone posted:

I live in Minnesota but have never ice fished. My friend is getting a shelter though so I need a rod. Any go to basic recommendation?

Honestly? I have 150 dollar ice fishing rods and I have the 25 dollar combo dealies. The expensive rods don’t catch more fish. You are just dropping a line into a hole in the ice right in front of you. Just pick up a couple of THESE (you can have 2 lines in the water while ice fishing) and spend your money on better line and some tackle.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

KingKapalone posted:

I don't even know what tackle is used. Thanks for the link.

https://1source.basspro.com/news-tips/ice-fishing/7600/perch-ice-fishing-tips-and-strategies

Honestly though, if your buddy has a shelter, just ask them. The important question has already been asked though. What type of beer will you bring? Since actually catching lots of fish is usually secondary to using ice fishing as an excuse to get outside during winter and do some day drinking.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

KingKapalone posted:

He is getting it soon so not sure if he knows much. I assume we'll be going for walleye and pike? Didn't know perch were a common target.

Do you know what part of the state you plan to fish in? We did a goon ice fish meet at Lake Minnetonka a couple of years ago. I fished the whole weekend and caught half a dozen small perch and a dozen or so cold beers.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hooplah posted:

So I'm visiting Sedona, AZ this spring and I see online that Oak Creek, which runs right through town, is by all accounts one of the better trout streams in the state. Native brookies and stocked rainbows. I have zero fly experience but am interested in catching some trout. i need light and packable tackle so I can get through airports easily. Checking out people's pics/videos from the area makes the water look pretty small and tight. would tenkara be a good fit for what I'm trying to do? spinning rods are an option but probably for only certain holes.

someone point me in the right direction for portable fly gear, ty

Honestly if you don’t plan on taking up fly fishing outside your visit, I’d just find the closest fly shop or guides and see what they offer for rentals. You could get your foot in the door buying all your own stuff for a couple hundred bucks but it’d just go to waste when you pack it up and never use it again.

325 for a full day of guided fly fishing with Orvis gear https://sedonaflyfishingadventures.com/book-fishing-tours-from-sedona

If that’s not a route you want to take you could try Reddington Field Kits who have a really good 5wt combo that is setup for trout. Orvis has the Clearwater which is also a really good mid level entry point. You might want to step down to 4wt if the water is small.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 23, 2023

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm not going to say it became a "catching instead of fishing" situation, but quality over quantity ain't so bad:

I brought my new fly rod and made a complete fool of myself (in my defense it was pretty windy too). Time to schedule a lesson.

If you have an Orvis store nearby they do a free fly fishing 101 class. They’ll try to convince you that spending 1,200 dollars on one of their nicer rod/reel combos is a sound investment too, but the class is useful and free.

Really though, for dock fishing you can just roll cast. There is no need to pull the fly up off the water and potentially snag others or get it wrapped up in the side rails.

https://youtu.be/vHMfCJINGJM?si=TdLTZGQdRvz-T-bN

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 11, 2024

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You could always just do what the vast majority of the rest of us do and shore fish until water temps get high enough to not have to worry about dying from hypothermia if you fall in.

If the fishing bug bites hard enough, you’ll have time and more experience to help guide your niche fishing needs purchases.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

trevorreznik posted:

An old friend of mine I haven't seen in a decade wants to get into fly fishing, and I'm a novice as well. He's in Atlanta, im in Chicago, and we are hoping to find a place in Kentucky between us to meet up the first week of June and try out , along with camping.

Anyone have suggestions about finding places? Regular fishing is probably ok too. I am 100% unfamiliar with the south.

Are you looking for trout streams or warm water fishing?

I’d check out Nolin River near Mammoth Cave National Park. For warm water fishing check out the Green River and catch a bunch of smallies and rock bass on a fly.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Brut posted:

Hey quick question, why are fishing landing nets so expensive? is there a good reliable cheap one ya'll recommend? Feels like it should be under like $10 but maybe there's some reasoning behind it :shrug:

If you are practicing catch and release, a cheap net can damage the fish you are landing and reduce their likelihood of survival.

If you are keeping what you catch, the fish are going to be dead soon anyways and it probably doesn’t really matter.

I’d just look at your local sporting goods store and see whatever they have in stock. Cabellas, Dicks, Scheels, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Brut posted:

Edit:
Meanwhile I'm trying to make sense of the rules here, seems like quite a lot to keep in mind, I should probably have some kind of printed version of this with me right? or at least Pages 10 and 11.

The vast majority of the information in the fishing regulations for each state are around restrictions on keeping fish caught. If you have no immediate plans to try to keep whatever you catch, you can safely ignore a lot of what’s written there. The most important information there is the fishing season for each species.

If you don’t know enough about different types of freshwater fish to know how someone could tell that you are specifically targeting that species, I’d say you can get started with inexpensive rod/reel combos, a bobber, light sinker, a size 8 or 6 hook, and hotdog pieces or something to put on the end. Panfish are usually year round in every state.

If you somehow hook a largemouth bass or some other more regulated species while bobber fishing, the DNR aren’t going to pop out of the bushes and tackle you or anything. Just throw them back in the water and all is good.