Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

smoking weed and fishing is literally the greatest thing a human can do.

It makes for such a nice day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just replacing 4 eyes on one of my surf rods. Two had lost the plastic inserts and the other two had inserts that were loose. Something had a sharp edge and had wore down the 20lb braid in God knows how many spots which cost me a rig before I even realized what happened. Of course that means I'll be respooling the reel as soon as I'm done with these eyes. It was newish line too, a lot of it. :argh:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I wanna tie some insanely ornate classic wet flies.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
For SE saltwater one of the biggest payoffs for me was buying and learning how to use and maintain a cast net. It's paid for itself a dozen times over

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Some mornings I'd be looking for shrimp or finger mullets or muds in the tidal creeks around here and the pro bait harvesters would be around with their massive cast nets and picture perfect throws just slamming it. Or the old timers that fish the jetty rocks and can pin point target a mullet school with a little net amongst the barnacle covered rocks and not even get snagged. I'd lose my net in two seconds trying that.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Untrustable posted:

Fuckin excellent effortpost about saltwater fish...Cool post!

Forgot to say this as well, that post was spotless

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hit the beach yesterday for the incoming tide. Caught a dozen whiting but only three keepers, a baby pompano the size of my hand and several catfish. Used the sand flea rake for most of the bait but also had a half bag of ancient freezer burned bait shrimp that worked just fine.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Saw a guy catch a tailless whiting the other day. Full grown adult fish without any sort of tail, just a well healed over old scar. I didn't think that was possible.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I think popper fishing is just fun as hell. You get some explosive hits

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
To piggyback on Dik Hz's post here's some drone shots I took of the same beach about a week apart

on this first shot you can see the waves breaking on a sandbar and there's a decent trough near the shore. There are two rips and the guy in the photo is fishing right in the middle of them.

a week later the sand is gone in this shot, it's higher tide, and the waves are breaking on the shore. It's fairly deep right off the beach and tricky to find a spot that's better than any where else. Since the waves aren't really churning up the crustaceans in an obvious way I just hork it out there and see what happens on days like that.

On this beach most days are like the first photo, so it pays to take a few minutes at the start to try to see what the surf is doing.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Gonna try to make it out tomorrow and see what's it like pre hurricane

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Elmnt80 posted:

Supposedly pre hurricane is good fishin. I mean you have that incoming rain and low pressure drop that makes fish go batshit feeding.

Edit: This may be the most florida thing I've ever written.

Hope so, it's been awful lately. The water is like a bathtub and there's too much rain. Crap for fishing and great for hurricanes.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It was bust today. A few dinks and catfish. Will try again Tuesday after the storm has blown by.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
No joy on after storm fishing, but we honestly didn't really get a storm. Surfers we're happy though. We brought in about twenty five catfish and another baby pompano. So really about the same as before the storm

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Time posted:

Launched a 5 ounce jig about 100 yds/cast this morning and now my rotator cuff is acting up.

This happens to me sometimes and it sucks for days. The worst is walking the dog afterwards and he jerks the leash.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dangerllama posted:

Went up to Texas Plates Creek to fish for cutthroat. If you’re in CO, you owe it to yourself to get up to a high country lake. The colors on the fish are incredible right now.

Also, I’m not gonna lie. It’s me. I’m the douchebag fly fisher that likes to crush fish in front of dilettantes*. If the bite is off, I’m throwing 50’ A-River-Runs-Through-It double hauls into the middle of nowhere just because it looks cool. (Yes I know my loops are open; shut up)

Also I learned the other day that a Hippie Stomper is basically a foam humpy and I laughed really hard because there really are only three unique flies total

*I will always help people out, tell them what’s working, what’s not, etc. Though in this time of covid I’m less eager to actually give people flies because I’m absolutely not coming within 15 feet of someone.

Beautiful!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Do you know anyone who can show you how to cast? Trust me, ten minutes of proper technique will get you a serviceable cast and the rest is practice and experience. Tutorials are difficult because so much of fly casting is feel, as in feeling the rod load in one hand and line tension in the other.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know if orvis still does it, but their lifetime warranty used to be phenomenal. I iced up a tip once without noticing and it went flying. They replaced the whole rod no questions asked. I also sent in my grandfather's (now mine) battenkill and they replaced the handle and wraps plus tracked its lineage down to the month/year/maker for the price of shipping. I was stunned.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

saltwater-wise, it's frequently spectacularly weird. After Hurricane Emily they were catching sailfish off the piers on the Outer Banks

That's friggin cool

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah I was still hoping for a Hobie, but I wanted some competition to bring their prices down a touch. The angler model I wanted was north of four loving grand (Canadian) last time I got a quote from a local seller.

I don't mind paying for quality but I can buy a pretty decent car or two for that money.

Same, or a nicely set up jon boat

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Lol free bait

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I should get a dickspoon (huge, natch) and go for some sharks

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hit tne surf today and caught endless shorties of whiting and pompano. Three keeper whititng, all on the small side.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress, i havent gone on a bird hunt in almost twenty years :(

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

eSporks posted:

I'm not sure how safe eating out of it is? It runs right through heavy residential areas.

Not safe!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dik Hz posted:

Dude, read the room.

Didnt see that post! Sorry if i came off callous, not intended.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Niioce. We went on friday and didn't get even a single bite. The sand bar was in a fucky location and the next day a big cold front moved in as well. At least we werent alone. Saw one guy catch one ladyfish.

The peregrine falcons are migrating through right now and we saw one destroy tern or something about fifteen feet from us on the sand by doing its 200mph body check plus talon through the head dive. :black101: Problem was he came back again and accidentally threw the body into the surf so he didnt even get a meal.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Throw a chunk of hotdog in there and see what you get :)

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hit the inlet at St Augustine and got a limit of slot trout, a real nice spanish mac and a half dozen smaller bluefish. Cold weather has moved in and i hope to get out at least one more time this week.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Elmnt80 posted:

Don't go fishing in the frozen shithole of hoth. :v:

Seriously, the only times I've ever snapped a fly rod (besides shutting in a door) is from an iced eye

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
In the surf if i can grab the line in front of the reel and with a little effort start pulling line from the spool im generally satisfied i wont lose a chunker due to snapping the line after the strike. Im also prettygood at adjusting drag during the fight if im into something big.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of panfish, interest check on this tiny St Croix/Shimano travel combo. I got it in an estate sale with a ton of fly gear. I held onto it with the idea of bream or smallies but i just end up using a fly rod anyways. It's several years old but has never been used, literally still has the stickers on and is always stored in the case. Speaking of, Ill throw in this orvis case that fits everything nicely and fits under a car seat or in a pack.

Rod: st croix triumph 5'6" ultra light fast action 4 piece
https://www.tackledirect.com/st-croix-triumph-travel-spinning-rods.html
Reel: shimano sahara 500fd
http://www.fishingcastle.com/products/Shimano-Sahara-FD-Spinning-Reels-.html

Ask 100 plus shipping

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
PM sent

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Awesome, the usps poo poo is crazy. I sent it out on the 11th!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Sweet. Fly fishing is so much fun. Consider going lighter like a 2 or 3 for those fish so it gets even more exciting.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Valt posted:

Yeah I'm still really learning how to cast so the heavier rod makes that easier. Especially with the wind that is often happening on the llano. Plus being able to cast further is helpful for me as well.

Right on. My advice, not asked for.. but, is nail your roll cast with some streamers for hitting tons of territory quickly. Bass galore!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Ive blanked on the surf last three times ive gone. It went from slot trout, spanish macs, blues and whiting to nothing except an occasional dink whiting. I know its a long shot but if anyone is fishing east coast Fla surf and are on the fish id love to hear what youre doing. The fishing reports in Jax suck and are 95% guys in boats catching reds. There was a great fishing radio show on Fridays but its off the air as far as i can tell.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I love it. Its a great thread full of useful advice.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
On another note i was flinging some spinners in a flounder hole thats usually productive but got nothing. I asked an old timer where are all the good local fishing reports since the local fishing forums are dead. He said theyre all on fuckin facebook now. I havent had a fb account in many years and now im thinking of it just for fishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Plus stockers are horrible eating fish unless they've had a year of eating bugs to develop some flavor which never happens