Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Pompano rig with shrimp are good. If there are redfish or Spanish in the area then a gotcha plug works well for them. For the toothier fish you may wanna pick up some heavier fluoro for leader, I used 20lb or 50lb depending on target.

There are a ton of other places to fish from shore also. Check out the Perdido pass. On both ends there are parking lots where you can fish under the bridge. There’s tons of Mangrove Snapper down there, just might take a while to find one keeper sized. Also plenty of trout and drum (black and red). I use a Carolina rig with a #1 or #2 non stainless circle hook on 24” of 20lb fluoro leader with a 1/2oz egg weight. Bait it with a fresh or frozen shrimp and then just drop it right by the sea wall. This also works from the beach or at the pier. You can sometimes catch flounder with live shrimp at the pier like this.

Remember, shark fishing is illegal on state park property. They tend to congregate around the pier so you’ll need to have a way to get your catch up quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Easychair Bootson posted:

Cool. Between this and the advice in Discord I think I can figure something out!

Will the artificial stuff I have for bass fishing catch anything off a pier? I'm thinking a shrimp-imitating Ned rig or a 4" pinfish-imitating paddletail.

The Ned rig for sure. Some guys have good luck catching flounder with heavier (1/2-1oz) jig heads and plastics. A slow retrieve with an occasional jerk and let it rest on the bottom. Flounder are closer to the surf so you’ll want to stick to the first hundred feet or so off the pier. If you have any sabiki rigs (they’re super cheap at Walmart) try dropping that at the octagon, there’s always a TON of bate fish hanging out under there. I’ve also caught some keeper spade fish that way.

I wouldn’t use anything you don’t plan to trash afterwards. Saltwater kills tackle super quick if you aren’t careful about washing stuff off afterwards.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Easychair Bootson posted:

I'm headed to the Florida panhandle (Pensacola/Navarre) the week after next for a little beach time and was thinking about trying some surf casting, which I have never done. What kind of tackle (incl. rod and reel) would I need? I assume multi-piece rods are common?

10-12’ medium-heavy to heavy rod with a 3000 size reel. I run 20 or 30# braid on mine. You don’t need anything stronger than that unless you’re targeting sharks. The long rod helps you get the bait out past the breakers so you don’t have to use tons of lead weight. Pompano rigs with fresh sandfleas** will be your best bet. If you can’t find sandfleas, then Fishbites strips or frozen shrimp. I also like to carry a 7’ rod with a 3000 size reel for throwing xraps and spoons. If you see a bunch of fish blowing up the surf throw that. I catch plenty of Spanish and occasionally a redfish from the beach.

Check the regs at Navarre, last time I was there they had some beaches off limits to fishing. Also check online, sargassum gets kind of bad all along the gulf coast this time of year. If there’s too much sargassum there are plenty of inshore spots to fish.

*You can get a sandflea take online or at Walmart pretty cheap. My kids have fun catching the sandfleas, and using the rake to find seashells.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Caught a 23” largemouth today, personal best. Didn’t have any scales with me, but this absolutely is the largest bass I’ve ever caught. Online says that should be a 7lb fish, and drat he felt every ounce of that.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Lake Guntersville, Alabama. I caught him in about 3’ of water. It’s been cold for the past few weeks so finding bass has been difficult. We had a warm snap for a few days and fishing deep wasn’t productive. I switched from swim baits and crank baits to an inline spinner (lol $1.90 Walmart rooster tail knockoff) and slammed a 4 lb largemouth, 2 1.5lb smallmouths and then this huge largemouth all around the same island.

I was on an adrenaline high for about 30 minute afterwards. Kids were in the boat and everyone was all excited at the huge fish. This was definitely a high for our spring break.