Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
caught two fish in two casts on flies over the weekend. I mean they were 3-4" baby trout eating anything but still pretty funny to have happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
dry suits are really nice for hot air cold water conditions because you can just get in the water to cool off and get out and still be dry inside, you dont get wet and clammy like a wetsuit.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm coming at it from a kayaking/rafting perspective, but imo a drysuit is more the overall better cold weather immersion gear than a wetsuit vs what you wear when it gets really cold. Its more of a comfort/quality of live difference than a fundamental warmth difference, a really thick wetsuit can be as warm as a drysuit but will be way less comfortable and mobile. The suit itself is very thin (rain jacket material) and doesn't offer really any warmth by itself, you layer like normal under the drysuit so its very flexible. In the winter I'll have tights, fleece pants, base layer, mid layer, and a micro puff jacket under my drysuit, if the water is cold in the summer I'll just have light baselayers or even shorts and a long sleeve t shirt on. Wetsuits are thick neoprene so they insulate directly, but the insulation comes at the cost of less range of motion and more resistance to moving. They also are harder (imo) to layer under, so you kinda have to choose how warm of a suit you want when you buy it. The big upside of wetsuits is they are wayyy cheaper and wayyy more durable, drysuits eventually turn into damp suits with use and age while a wetsuit has a much longer life and is way more wear resistant.

Again, this is all from the perspective of whitewater kayaking or rafting where I'm going to be getting really wet the entire time and want to be as comfortable as possible doing it. For lake or maybe sea kayaking where getting wet isn't the plan, a farmer john wetsuit and fleece shits with a splash jacket on top should do you pretty good as long as the waters in the 50s or above and you can get out of the water to warm up if you flip. Thats typically what we'd put customers in for late-spring/summer whitewater rafting trips and as long as they didnt spend too long in the water if they fell out it was enough insulation to keep them happy.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Y'all got any thoughts on medium priced wading boots for fly fishing? I need a new pair and not totally sure what to get, I've seen the simms freestone recommended as a good value option without being 'budget' if that makes sense.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
ty I'll pick up some freestones, my last boots were a little too small so I sold them when I moved recently and haven't picked up a new pair yet and have been jonsing to get out. Moved west coast to east coast so going to miss my big desert rivers like the Deschutes but looking forward to checking out the streams of new england.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Then it's on fire and sunk at the same time!