Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

fknlo posted:

I think I'm mainly down to the Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL and the Hobie Outback. The price difference between the two isn't close but there are some Outbacks for sale semi-locally at what I'd get into the sportsman after tax and all that. The outback seems like a much nicer boat overall even though I think I'd rather have a prop drive over the mirage.

e: the amount of used kayaks that come with everything including a trailer is kind of insane.

I got a Wilderness Systems Tarpon X a few years ago from a Hobie dealer and I'm absolutely looking to upgrade to something a little bit more stable while standing with a paddle system in the future. Interested to see what you think when you get the kayak.

I usually fish with a spinning rod/Senkos for bass here in Florida, but I've gotten a hankering to try fly fishing recently - think it seems cool and fly tying is the kind of artistic hobby that's absolutely up my alley. Family also vacations in Western NC and I know they stock the trout streams in the area, so I'd like to try that also. Any suggestions on fly rod equipment/flies? Would probably be targeting bass/panfish in Florida 90% of the time and trout the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Dik Hz posted:

For FL, I highly recommend poppin bugs with a bead head nymph dropper. If you’re casting from shore you might want a shorter rod to better control your back cast. If you routinely fish while wading or have wide open back casts, a 9’ 6-7 wt rod would be ideal. Poppin bugs are heavy flies and you really need at least a 6 wt to reliably cast all but the smallest bugs.

For western NC, you have two options. If you’re fishing for stockers, anything works. But, I love chasing the wild trout on the tiny streams up there. A 7’ 4-wt is ideal. You’ll be fishing plunge pools so you need to fish weighted nymphs under an indicator most of the time. Really tight casting. Full back casts are rare so you need to be able to roll cast with accuracy and make shaped back casts. Join the discord https://discord.gg/9sCfP9uR and @ me if you want some specific wild spots to check out. If you’re fishing for stockers, all the delayed harvest water is excellent. The put and take spots get fished out real quick though.

There's a delayed harvest spot about 10m from the family cabin so that's a good sign. I had read about the plunge pools so the equipment tips are useful - sounds like I'll be needing two (or more) rods, which I kind of expected (bigger flies for bass and backbone is probably necessary to pull things out of weeds in Florida lakes) even though I was hoping I could do double duty with a 5-6wt trout rod. Do you have any suggestions for good beginner setups in those weights? Is it better to piece something together than to get one of the combos from Orvis or Redington or whoever?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Dik Hz posted:

Just get a cheap cabelas rod to start with. They’re perfectly fine. Fast action graphite is easiest for beginners. You’ll do a lot better with a low cost rod and a casting lesson than buying an Orvis combo straight out. If you’re going to spend money, a $110 scientific anglers floating line will be the best expense to quality of life ratio you can get, especially for beginners. Cheap line is a pain in the rear end. High quality line floats better, has less memory, and has a more durable coating. All of which make your drifts more natural and your casts land softer.

If you want to do double duty, get a 7’6” 5/6-wt and some 6-wt line. It’ll be a bit overkill for small stream trout but it’ll be fine for learning. Heavier line is easier to cast for beginners because beginners always cast too fast and too hard. In theory you can cast a longer rod farther, but in practice a shorter rod is easier to control and you’re almost always better off making a better approach and a shorter cast than trying to bomb in a monster cast. Even for bass.

Take a couple trips and learn how to cast before spending a ton of money. I like old slow short and heavy fiberglass rods. Lots of people don’t and instead prefer light fast action rods. Or whatever. Fly fishing gear is all about aesthetic and preference. Better gear doesn’t catch more fish.

I was eyeballing some local places that give casting lessons and some well-regarded guides that will do freshwater fly fishing around here before I dove into a rod. Appreciate the help, this has been incredibly useful.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

titties posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an as- seen-on-tv lure set i saw on tv in 2017 or 2018.

I had a co-worker who was an idiot and an rear end in a top hat but we both liked fishing so we'd chat about it to kill time.

One day he told me that he saw a commercial for a tackle set that had 250 lures in it and he offered to go halfsies with me and divvy up the baits.

I looked it up and of course it wasn't 250 lures but some kind of lure system. I think it was along the lines of a handful of special jig heads, special plastic bodies, and then some trailers or skirts and other greeblies to rig them in various configurations.

I went back and told my co-worker that it was more like a dozen special jig heads and an assortment of plastics, not 250 individual baits. He lost interest so I never got them.

I wanted to take another look at this kit but i can't remember the name of it. I do remember being really surprised that new tv fishing lure systems were still being rolled out in 2018.

Pretty sure it's not the 100-piece Mighty Bite set but that's the most recent one i can find with a quick search.

Before I noticed 17/18 I was thinking the Roland Martin Helicopter Lure which I distinctly remember my brother excitedly buying as a kid

They didn't work for poo poo lol

Only other recent thing I can find on Google is The Walking Worm but that doesn't sound like what you're describing either.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

titties posted:

I have some vintage helicopter lures in all the hot colors such as pearl, salmon, and chart, as well as the big barrel swivels and nail weights that go with them.

I haven't tried them yet but looking at some YouTube review videos it seems like they do spin, which is really the only thing they're supposed to do.

E: maybe i am thinking of Mighty Bite and it was some gigantic special infomercial-only package that was bigger than the blister packs or the 100 piece set.

I did find a set called 1 Shot that was basically a couple of customizable crankbaits with different bills and fins and trailers and it looks pretty cool but i think you only actually get 2 crankbaits

by "work" i mean "catch fish"

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Roland Martin has got onto youtube recently where he is giving fishing advice like "you can catch bass in Florida with just a topwater on a baitcaster and a Senko on a spinning reel" which is pretty much all I keep in my kayak

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

titties posted:

I will catch a fish on the helicopter lure, i swear it. I believe this because I've seen youtube videos of it and also because you can throw just about any small object with a hook on it and catch a fish. Hot wheels car, cigarette butt, bottle cap, literally just a stick. Put a hook on it and eventually some dumb rear end fish will give it a try. This i believe

saw a guy on youtube catch fish on warhammer space marines with treble hooks

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

try a weightless texas-rig senko next to the weedline for the bass. 3/0 ewg hook, watermelon/pumpkinseed if it's clear water, junebug if it's murky. cast it out, let it fall to the bottom, lift the rod tip, reel in a bit, let it fall again, repeat. the senko bite is very subtle and you can sometimes see a fish bite by seeing the line move or just feeling the end of your rod be mushy - like half or more of my senko bites are just me lifting the rod and feeling it be mushy and setting the hook.

i gotta get the kayak on the lake again, typing this made me itch for a bass.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i got a shimano vanford and a yakrods finesse spinning rod and after not having used nicer fishing equipment i think i'm ruined now. hooked up to a bass earlier and when it bit i felt like the rod was getting yanked out of my hand compared to the old stuff. blew me away.

kinda wish i'd taken photos, there were three baby bass (maybe six inches) hanging out at the waterline chasing minnows.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Sickening posted:

Bait finesse gear has ruined me too.

it's just a medium power spinning rod on a nice st croix blank with some nice features for kayaking (shorter handle with a tether loop) - as far as i know bfs stuff is much lighter. the sensitivity compared to a cheap berkley or bass pro store brand medium spinning rod is what got me.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Charliegrs posted:

It sounds like your new equipment is a lot lighter than your old stuff. Which is awesome, I love light tackle fishing. Some of most thrilling fights I've had were with largemouth bass and pickerel in the 3-5 pound range using my noodle thin trout rod with 4lb test line. I have a somewhat heavier rod with 10lb test that I mostly used for cat fishing but I recently moved near the Atlantic ocean so I'm really hoping to catch some striped bass or bluefish with it as it would be considered a really light rod for that. I've caught bluefish on pretty heavy duty deep sea fishing gear and they still fought like maniacs I can only imagine catching them on this rod I have. Anyway my point is, ultralight for life.

nah, same power. i pretty much use a medium power spinning rod with a plastic worm 95% of the time to hit weedlines for bass and i just got fancier stuff for that. it's just markedly more sensitive.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

been going out on the kayak on calm mornings at sunrise, catching little bass on senkos in the weeds. done texas rig for most of my life but tried wacky rig with a weed guard today and got some with that.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

was too windy to take the kayak out today so i cast my long-neglected baitcaster from the bank to give it a spin since i've been thinking about getting some fresh line and speed worms to rig it up and i caught a bass. classic.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

T-Square posted:

I just wish the cool pedal powered ones weren’t so expensive :(

i've got a paddle kayak currently (wilderness systems tarpon x) that i take out all the time. make sure you think about safety stuff - whistle, flag so stupid people see you easier, pfd - as well as anchoring. the main thing you fight trying to fish out of a kayak is current and having options to be able to stop easily (anchor and trolley system with an anchor wizard, stakeout pole) will let you use it a lot more often.

also a lot of kayak dealers have test days, take out the ones you're interested in and try standing in them, see how it feels to reach storage, that kind of stuff. now that i've done this a fair amount i have a much better idea of what i'd hunt for next time.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

went out on the kayak this morning and caught a couple of bass

every time i go out on the kayak i can see/hear bass aggressively feeding in cover too heavy for me to get at with my spinning rod or mh baitcaster - thick kissimmee grass, cattails, and lily pads. i've been considering getting a heavy action baitcaster setup so i could flip into this cover for years and after i saw a bunch of fish doing this today i think i'm going to bite.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

honestly feel like baitcasters have gotten a lot easier with the brake systems you find in modern ones

as a kid i sucked at them but i launch my shimano slx with minimal brakes no problem

nieces came over today and hung out on the dock throwing senkos. caught four bass between them and now they're hooked, went home asking their dad to dig rods out of storage.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Jake Gittes posted:

Shimano makes a "Digital Control" option for a lot of their baitcasters. Basically it's a little computer in the reel that is powered by the spinning-action of the spool, and it uses it's calculator powers to automatically set/adjust the braking systems with every cast. (These types of reels have been around since the mid 2000s, but now they're not priced in the $500+ range.)

It's a great (but still expensive) tool for beginners, but you don't need it once you've gotten some practice down.

i've got a regular slx, not the dc one. got it a few years ago after fishing most of my life with spinning tackle. the dc stuff looks cool but they cost like 100 bucks more than the normal reel in their respective models and i cast well enough without it.

to learn how to use it i just watched a couple of youtube videos to set up the spool tightness and brakes and ramped down from high to low brakes as i got the hang of it. i think if you told anyone "hey feather the spool with your thumb a bit" they could cast with 4 of the 6 brakes engaged, then they could turn some of them off as they got the hang of it so they could cast farther. i'm on one brake now.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

there's a local shop that stocks shimano and daiwa and i've been wanting to handle/palm a tatula and a curado to compare to the slx for whenever i finally bite on getting a flippin and frog rod.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Jake Gittes posted:

I'll handle and palm ur tatula

lol

there's been three very small largemouth bass, maybe eight or nine inches, hanging probably 10 feet off the end of the bank where i put in the kayak. you can see them move around down there and they've been a regular fixture at sunrise and sunset. too small to eat a senko but they'll chase and nibble at it curiously.

i remembered today i got some ned rig tackle several years ago and never really used it so i put a ned worm on one of my extra spinning rods and tossed it out there tonight and got one of them on the first cast.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

T-Square posted:

Ours were most definitely not free, but I picked mine up on Sunday and my GF’s will be here tomorrow and we are very excited. She even got her fishing license the other day of her own volition because she wants to come yak fishing with me :3:

what'd you end up getting?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Charliegrs posted:

I want to yak fish but there's a lot of water moccasins in my area 😬

i just make friends with the local alligators

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

T-Square posted:

I bought me a barely used Lifetime Teton 100 Angler even though they’re on sale right now, because the only ones in stock anywhere are the boring blue or grey/white ones. I found a cool Lemongrass one with a CF paddle and a PFD.

We ordered the GF a new one, she’ll be getting a Vibe Yellowfin 100 in tomorrow, and I’m honestly pretty jealous. Got the last one in stock anywhere for her and it looks like it’s gonna be a pretty bitchin yak.

we've got a lifetime recreational kayak here and it's absolutely a great little boat. now you've gotta complete your fishing kayak rite of passage and find a milk crate for the back.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

casted off the bank this morning to test my rods before going out in the kayak and i got a bite but didn't hook up three times - once with the baitcaster/speed worm and twice with the spinning rod/senko

wondering what's wrong with me and my inability to set a hook until i see a little spotted gar, maybe a foot long, meander up to the shoreline. guess he couldn't get the worms in his mouth.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Fish aren't real

Wake up sheeple

thought it was birds

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Had a gator swipe at my frog fishing out of the kayak today

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

gator's still there and chased my frog again

went to the other side of the lake and used senkos lol

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Crab Dad posted:

When life gives you gators…. What’s a permit cost for them?

it's a little one, probably 2-3 feet

there was a five or six footer that would hang out there a couple of years ago. haven't seen an adult yet thankfully.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

if i wanted to hunt giant bass and not just relax on the kayak and occasionally catch things i'd go buy golden shiners

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

finally broke my streak of being skunked other than being chased by alligators tonight with two bass

one was the usual dink and the other one was a nice 3-4 pounder

mostly attributing this to the weather being low 80s tonight rather than 90s

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

bite's picking up now that the weather's getting slightly cooler

went out tonight, wind was blowing like 15 miles an hour so i just used it as an impromptu trolling motor and drifted across the weed line running a speed worm. had a couple of 2 pound bass absolutely annihilate it, jumping out of the water, fun fights.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Seat strap on my kayak snapped. A new seat is 400 bucks, I'm not doing that. I found a general kayak seat repair kit for 10 bucks that mentions my kayak by name so I'm going to chance that and see if it works.

I use my kayak multiple times a week and I've been eyeballing an upgrade to one of the higher-end pedal drive models for a while now. Anyone here have a Hobie/Old Town/Native/Jackson/etc pedal drive kayak with thoughts on it?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Crab Dad posted:

I’ve tried paddle/screw prop and prefer screw. Most of them are reversible now a days anyways. I wanted to like NuCanoe, very well made and local to the PNW but the cable drive is garbage.

by paddle/screw prop do you mean something like the hobie drive, where you move fins back and forth vs the other three, where you pedal bicycle pedals and it drives a prop like an outboard motor?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i was interested in nucanoe because the form factor seems very interesting but if the pedal drive is bad i'm out. if i'm getting a kayak with a motor i'm just going to spring for an actual boat.

interesting that you like the fin drive less, i was wondering if it would fit my use case the most because i'm often parked on top of nasty grass/lily pads/etc and i was worried a screw prop would get tangled up and have to be pulled up all the time.

ultimately i've got my list and i just need to hunt down dealers that will let me demo, i think

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

nieces went out on the dock fishing tonight and the four year old hooked into a legit 3-4 pound bass on one of those little 10 dollar 3 foot pink walmart jobs we put a speed worm on. she cast like three feet from the dock and says "i think i'm hooked on something" then her rod twitches. her sister helped her reel it in and everyone ran down to look and we took pictures, was awesome.

surprised that little rod handled that much action

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Those things are solid fiberglass and will put up with a lot more than you'd think, I exclusively use a dock runner to fish freshwater and it hasn't failed me yet. My partner has recently boat flipped a 3lber with one, it's great.

yeah that makes sense, surprised the reel and line handled the abuse though. still works great.

senkos on spinning reels hooked them on bass fishing and they can't get enough. stoked about this. went and got the older ones a couple of lew's spinning combos from walmart and some plastic worms and terminal tackle so they'd stop bumming off of my stuff lol.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

we had some low pressure roll in and i caught eight bass today between fishing off the dock at lunch and going out in the kayak tonight. had another three bites, two i couldn't dock flip and one on the kayak that bit about two feet away from the boat and ended up just stealing the worm.

watching them go nuts eating on the surface is so much fun.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wanted to post this here cuz people that fish will understand and appreciate it :v:

hell yeah dude

my old man caught a 120 pound tarpon on a guided trip to boca grande a couple of decades ago and i've caught barracuda in the keys. fishing is dope.

recently got my first heavy power baitcasting rod and been working on learn how to pitch out of the kayak. the bass are keyed in on breeding bugs right now and you can see their wakes in like 2 foot deep water and blow up on bugs that hit the surface. pitched to where i saw a blowup and got a bite but set the hook limp and it got off.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

fishhooked posted:

Yo, we fishing this weekend? It's pretty nice in Missouri still so gonna get the kayak out for some fall bite

been kayak fishing on the regular recently, going out after dinner till sunset. they've been cruising for baitfish at the weedline and i'm crushing them on a speed worm, getting several bass on each of these short trips

got a nice kayak pfd for my birthday and started taking my phone with me so i've been taking pictures. this is the best of the lot, so far

a place opened up in town that's a combination coffee shop and tackle shop. went in this morning and got a black coffee, a breakfast burrito, and a pack of speed worms. i am in love with this combination already.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Holy gently caress, 50 bucks for one lure? I'd be terrified to use that thing.

50 bucks is cheap in swimbait land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Cassius Belli posted:

Skip the in-between steps and figure out how to turn an AirTag into a lure.

the next marling baits video