Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I haven't fished in like 30 years, but my seven year old stumbled across a small mountain lake with people fishing off a dock when we were riding bikes. And now he really wants to go fish off that dock. We are going to go to a local store tomorrow to get some basic gear for him, but can anyone help an idiot like me get a rough idea of the bare minimum we need to have a decent time for him to fish (I assume it will be like fifteen minutes each time we make it there). The local shop has good reviews online and from a few people I spoke to but I'd also like to not be completely stupid when I go in there. We will have to hike about a kilometer with the gear to get to the lake if that makes any difference.

My very basic idea of what I need:

Rod and reel for him (I had someone tell me to get a zebco 33 for him)
basic tackle box
a few hooks
some sinkers
a few bobber/floaty things
some basic lures
bait (going to ask the local store about this)
decent pliers
something to put the fish in if we catch them (hah!)

Any help is appreciated.

I had a pretty rear end in a top hat father who would force me to fish with him and I hated it so I'd like to make this as fun and easy as possible for my little guy, and honestly I wouldn't mind maybe slowly getting into it again now that I've started looking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for the help. Local shop was cool. Got a smaller rod with closed reel for him to cast, some weights, some hooks and the floating bait the shop recommended for the trout in the lake. They talked me out of anything else until we see if he is into it so it was like 80 bucks all in with license

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Desert Bus posted:

Nothing for yourself? :(

A friend has a rod and gear he said I could borrow but knowing me I’ll probably dive in on my own and own way too much stuff too quickly.

But for the first time out I just wanted one pole and let him be all the focus.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol that's how it started for me. I fished when I was a kid a lot, and as an adult now and then but nothing serious. Then my son got the fishing bug about the same age, he's currently 16 and now we have a boat and enter fishing tournaments good luck :v:

Yeah I’ve already bought a spinner rod for me and am looking up good places to go camping and fish.

Heroin on a pole.