Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Just getting started again after like 20+ years. Previous experience was basically only catching pan fish. I don't really remember any of the details lol. I currently have 2 x Zebco 33 spincasters from a previous single attempt at fishing about 5 - 7 years ago.

I'm in the midwest doing lake\pond fishing from the shore. I did some research and landed on weedless texas rigged plastic worms. I did catch about 1 lb large mouth bass with it so that gave me some confidence that it works. I would like to do some bluegill\sunfish type fishing with a bobber along with my kids. What do you recommend?

Also, I'm curious about what type\strength line do you think the Zebco came with? Is it something I need to replace? I don't guess ive had issues beyond it being a dark color and its kind of hard to see. With all hobbies my favorite part is accessorizing and upgrading. I think I would like to experiment with a open face rod and reel for general fishing under the conditions listed above. Should I be looking at a 6 - 7' medium light pole? Are 2 piece poles garbage? Any brand or model recommendations? What kind of line strength should I target for just... "general" fishing? There are sooo many choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Thanks for the input fellas!

titties posted:

If you're mostly targeting panfish then you should be fine with light or ultralight. My most-used rod is a medium, but most medium weight tackle is a little too big for smaller panfish, the hooks are too big to fit in their mouth. You can always just throw a small hook with a heavier bobber though if you're bait fishing.

So with a medium rod, what stops me from putting small hooks panfish bait(worms, crickets, what ever) on there? I'm still confused about things like "medium weight tackle". From what you've said and what I've read online, having a ultra light, light setup aides with the sensitivity, aka know when smaller fish are messing with it. Is that right? So my situation is that I have 4 people in the family that could potentially go fishing. I have the 2 zebcos already, so my thought is that those will be moved down for the kids eventually. If I end up getting two additional rod and reels, i'd like them to be fairly general so my wife and I can use them in most situations we will encounter(lakes, ponds, small streams, all from the shore really), with out getting into the dozens of poles specialization quite yet lol! I am probably over thinking the need for a "general combo" setup. Seems like you could technically catch most fish with pretty basic setups. I don't see any monster fish catches in my future because of where I'll be fishing

murk
Oct 31, 2003
So I've been experimenting with fishing this summer. Had some OK success. 95% of what I have caught have been like .5 - 1.5lb bass on Texas rigged plastic worms. 0/2 and 0/3 offset hooks. The shallow ponds\lakes I have access to should also have Crappie and pan fish. I did catch a couple pan fish on bobber\small hook\balled up hot dog bun bait lol. What I really like about the Texas rigged setup is that it doesn't get snagged in our very "grassy?" ponds so I can keep casting and reeling, casting and reeling. Is there a weedless small bait setup anyone would recommend for shallow, grassy ponds to catch fish other than bass?

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Well, finally tried out some live bait with crickets and worms. We found a beautiful spot with a shade tree right by the lake. There was about a 3 foot circle about 10 feet from shore that you could throw a cricket on a bobber and they would hit it immediately. Caught and released about 10 pan fish. It was a lot of fun lol. It only took about 2 or 3 crickets for my to get over holding them, then it was no big deal hah.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Heyo. Going to Orange Beach, AL in about 3 weeks. We will be near the beach obviously. Also near Romar lake. I currently freshwater fish in the Midwest for Bass and pan fish mostly. I have 2 medium power 7' rods I plan on taking. I would like to do some fishing from the shore and perhaps from piers. What kind of general tackle setup can I go with? I think I would prefer to just stick with artificial lures, but am open to fresh dead or maybe live shrimp. I watched a video and dude was just using some pink 3" pre-rigged swimbaits. I would like to avoid big sea monsters. I don't have confidence in dealing with a shark or stingray lol!