Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I can't really fish anymore for reasons but I've spent the last 3 years power-feeding the fish in my pond and I think the word is out the jig is up etc., cause there are people fishing here now literally every day. Toss a line in pull up a Bluegill all day every day. You wanna catch a bunch of Bluegill the secret is out have at it goons.

Edit: I can pobably put you up on my futon but I will also probably feed you alcohol.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Goon friends! I can't fish anymore unless I want to not be able to use my arms for a week after, so 3 years ago I switched to feeding the fish in the pond by me. So far as I can tell it's just Bullheads and Bluegill but after a few hundreds pounds of extra food they are numerous and quite a few are now at decent sizes instead of it being a pond full of tiny stunted fish. Watching people fish it now the process seems to go: toss in your line, wait 15-30 seconds for the bite, and reel in a fish. They've been trained to hit at pretty much anything since I feed food that floats and food that sinks.

So if you're near Northwest Indiana and looking for some easy catch and release action here's the location. If you do hit it up feel free to PM me and I'll let you use my bathroom if need be and probably offer you alcohol:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I just picked up a 40lb bag of 32% protein floating game and catfish food for $14 which is a way better deal than what I was getting. There's people fishing my pond 3-4 days out of the week, some of them regulars. Biggest Bluegill I know about was 8" and biggest Bullhead 10". After 3 years of feeding i'm finally making some solid visible progress. They'll probably get 80lb more before winter hits and then next year I think i'm ready to stock some Bass. I'm pretty excited. Indiana has some pretty neat baitfish too but I need to go through and see which is the most suitable. As long as the money comes out of my pocket and I don't gently caress it up I can add whatever to the pond and I love it. Come fish my dumb little retention pond if you really enjoy the part of fishing where you catch a Bluegill and toss it back. Only an hour from Chicago!

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 22, 2020

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Some kid caught a 4lb Largemouth in my pond today, so I guess that answers the "are there still Bass in this pond? question. I guess it's good for more than just panfish and I don't have to put them there myself.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

A pretty good article discussing possible damage from holding Bass by the jaw. Shouldn't really be a surprise that it harms soft tissue. Always use two hands for bigger fish. If you've ever dislocated your jaw you should have some empathy.

https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/what-happens-when-you-hold-a-bass/

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Sickening posted:

The goobers who livewell bass for 6 hours so they can take a cool picture at the end of the day won't give a poo poo. Same for old fishermen who have been doing this for 30 years. You can't change my mind that bass fishermen are the karens of the fishing world.

I've always been of the opinion that lipping big fish was probably super bad for their jaw but had never seen any research to back it up. Glad to see it doesn't break any bones but as someone who has dislocated and hyperextended their own joints thousands of times (yay hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos) the soft tissue damage does not surprise me in the least.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Friendly reminder for y'all since (for me) it's pond feeding time again. This pond is great catch & release for Bluegill, Bullheads, and Bass. I've dumped hundreds of pounds of food into it over the past few years and the results have been great. PM me before you show up and I'll probably feed you alcohol and let you use my bathroom. I've been told it's really good fishing and watching people toss lines in and immediately pull out fish kinda confirms it for me. Valparaiso, Indiana, USA.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

charliebravo77 posted:

I might have to take you up on this sometime over the summer as the pond fishing around me in Chicagoland is less than desirable from what I have found, largely due to over-fishing and lack of public access.

I've been told this is the best pond in the area. I'm only a few days into this years feeding and I've already got a couple dozen plus ~2-8" Bluegill coming up to feed and one ??? sized Bass. The Bullheads will show up once it gets a bit warmer. Definitely let me know!

Sickening posted:

Texas have these really dumb archaic laws about transporting gamefish between bodies of water. Not that anyone is really going to catch you, just funny how the state of texas cries "illegal!" in doing such a basic thing.

Oh no i'm only adding more fish via giving them LOTS of food so lots of babies survive and grow and go on to breed and also turn into food for bigger fish (and the 18" Snapper, thing is a beast). I've gotten the average Bluegill size and their population way way up.

Last year the biggest catches I heard about or saw were around 8" Bluegill, 10" Bullhead, and a 4lb Bass (dunno if they're Largemouth or Smallies). There's only one guy who seems to actually take fish home to eat but he's going to have a real hard time overfishing this spot on his own and LOL at eating fish from a runoff pond that also taste like fish food.

This is basically just a way for me to "keep" fish bigger than i'm willing to set up aquariums for, but it's had the side-effect of making my pond a great fishing spot.

Edit: The "Semento's Napoli Cafe" in the top right corner is within walking distance and will sell you one of the best Reuben Sandwiches you've ever eaten.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 15, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, odd question here but I had recently put up on ebay a vintage Garcia Rod+ Reel, and I have three different people, all listed as from Portland, OR, and profile says Based in China, all making offers on this.

Is there something I should be aware/concerned about?

I 100% bet they will "accidentally" send you a check for too much and ask you to send back the difference.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I am still feeding the pond outside my place and the size and quantity of the Bluegills is getting very very nice. The Grey Herons and 18" Snapper are getting very well fed lol

Once again folks, I'm in Valparaiso, Indiana, so if you live in the Chicagoland/NWI area and want to fish a pond that has a lot of decent sized Bluegill, Bullheads, and Bass here you go. If you let me know ahead of time, I've got a restroom you can use etc. If you don't like the whole "catching fish" part of fishing, this is not the pond for you.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I finally actually fished at the pond I feed yesterday with a friend and it's ridiculous. Never took more than 30 seconds to get a bite, usually far far less. We were only targeting the Bluegill, got a few smaller ones but most catches were about 5-6" and we caught a few 7-8". He said fishing here feels like cheating. I've always hated the "sit around and wait" part of fishing so I had a lot of fun.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have a ~4" 1/3rd lecustic (front), 2/3rd normal (back) piebald Bluegill!!!

Never seen a Bluegill morph before and if it's gotten this big it should survive.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Nice bass but support the body too. Lip holds like that gently caress up their jaws.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I WANT SOME BUTTS

If you send me one Buttcoin I will double it and send it back.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Sickening posted:

I feel like the quality of your ice chest and your koozie are what make your trip successful or not in the summer time. Those yeti can koozies are well worth the money when it’s hot as balls out and your drink goes warm in a few minutes.

When I fish I keep my balls comfortably cool with an ice chest and koozie. Doesn't everyone do this???

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Today, I was a cockhair away from relaxing and doing nothing but the weather was unexpectedly beautiful in spite of a nonstop rain forecast--so I grabbed my poo poo and ran out to the ponds in my neighborhood for about an hour and a half and thank gently caress I did! Best day bass fishing I've had yet.

Pulled this guy up on my second cast--not a big fish, but fought admirably..

Proceeded to catch the biggest bass I've ever caught maybe ten minutes later.

Oh poo poo, another one the same size!

Then this baby boy...

Then finished up with my third about the same size as the two bigger earlier ones.

Hookset gave me fits on this one--took some real effort to get him unhooked--he tried to swallow the whole loving thing.

Had another few big bites where they just ripped my worms in half aggressively. Just caught them in the right mood today with a little green pumpkin with green/purple flake stick baits.

gently caress yeah!

Very nice fish and pics like those are mostly why i'm here, but please start supporting the body too. That jaw hold fucks with their jaws, the bigger the fish the worse it is. :(

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve done a fair bit of online browsing since the last time you said this, and it appears a brief vertical hold is fine?

I had an angled lip hold last time you pointed this out and I truly appreciated the heads up—but these appear to be correct and safe holds since I just removed hooks and took a 2s pic before releasing?

Also there are a ton of vertical lip holds in this thread (on this page even) yet you only reply to mine? What’s the deal?

Yeah sorry that wasn't meant in a mean way. Yours was just the most recent post with them. I try to bring it up over and over because people miss it somehow. Here's the current info on lip holds and damage:

https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/what-happens-when-you-hold-a-bass/

Edit: sniping for healthier fish.

Edit 2: I have hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome so I feel this quote from the article:

""For humans, spraining an ankle, dislocating a shoulder or any other soft tissue injury can take a much longer time to repair and recover from than a clean break of a bone. In fact, these injuries can increase the potential for reinjury and, in many cases, cause further instability.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 26, 2021

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Double post and also something that comes up over and over. I need a Bluegill rod. Watching other people catch all the fish I've grown out is making me envious.

I need a rod, a reel, bobbers, weights, circle hooks, and a container of the fake grubs they hit like crack (can't recall the brand i'll know it when I see it.) I already own a pocketknife and needlenose pliers. Am I forgetting anything? Please tell me what to buy Goons! I wanna catch some fish. Thanks.

Also, as a reminder, this pond is catch & release and I've been feeding it for years. Lotta Bluegill up to 8", Largemouth up to 4lb, and Bullheads up to 10". I don't know what the Bass population is like, I've only seen 2 caught in the last 10 years, 1 4" about 7 years ago and the 4lb one last year. The Bullheads join in the feeding so their population should be robust. Bluegill you toss your line in and usually get a bite immediately. They are vast in number, voracious, and they're only going to get bigger. According to a friend of mine fishing here feels like cheating. I think it feels like fun.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Being quick about it seems to be key. I just see all these pictures of vertical holds and my brain pictures the fish deciding to thrash around causing the damage to itself. They're strong for their size, pretty dumb, and don't like being out of the water for some reason. I realize it's OK, I realize it probably works best in some situations, but it still makes me nervous.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ambrose Burnside posted:

my starting negotiation position re: what to design will be "a mold featuring a comprehensive spread of sinker weights, except the weight is a ballsack"

please for the love of god help me make something less terrible

You're in the DickSpoon thread my friend. You're safe here. Just make FishNuts a reality and come back. We're Goons, do you REALLY think we won't be interested?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have this recurring dream where I catch a Muskrat.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I dunno why or how it works but people in the aquarium hobby will soak whatever in garlic powder to entice catfish to eat and you can get the same results when fishing for them.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

For anyone who doesn't get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaekWUI6LrM

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Cast netting seems like something you just have to fail at a LOT before you get it right. Similar to fly fishing.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have started my pond feeding again this year, so any Goons in the Chicago/NWI area who like to catch lots of big Bluegill, hit me up. You can use my bathroom and i'll probably try and feed you booze. It's great fishing for kids, cause you actually catch things over and over. I've been told fishing my pond feels like cheating.

I, for one, refuse to hog/hide my "secret" fishing spot.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I know I post this offer a lot, but any Chicago/NWI Goons who wanna come fish my pond? The swarm of Bluegill is just getting bigger in numbers and size. There is this beautiful 8-9" lady just begging to be caught. Every year I feed just makes it better. They get bigger and more numerous every year and I have no plans to stop feeding them.

I've been told fishing my pond feels like cheating, and having fished it myself, I can't disagree.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

That’s a seriously cool offer, I’m just not quite close enough to take you up on it. Love catching nice sized bluegill, always a blast!

I dunno where you are but i'm about an hour east of Chicago and can house you for a night if need be and you don't make it weird (making it weird is MY job). Catching Bluegill here is just all about tossing the line in and pulling it out. It's catching, not "fishing."

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm nursing a foot injury but once I am not hobbling around I will come take you up on this. Probably with a fly rod.

The food I feed is mostly floating so getting your bait below the waterline is a negative. A fly rod should work great. I don't have any equipment so if you got a second pole I can borrow? That'd be awesome. There are also Bullheads and Bass in there, somewhere!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Chicken Thumbs posted:

Just fished solo for the first time and thought I'd share. My dad used to take me fishing as a child and only fishes with live bait despite the massive tackle collection he has, which caused some issues because I'm autistic and as a child I reacted extremely badly to strange sensations. Just the thought of skewering my own worms was viscerally repulsive to me, and I refused to touch any of the fish either of us caught, but I still have some fond memories of fishing with him. He stopped bringing me after I got into my teens and still couldn't even bait my own hooks, but I still enjoyed the idea of fishing and wanted to get back into it. Cut to today, where 26-year-old me pulled into a local park with a cheap medium-light Walmart spinning combo with 6 lb mono, some discounted lures, and too much time on my hands.

Part of me immediately regretted not bringing heavier tackle and/or bread because the lake was loving boiling with carp, but I wasn't particularly bothered and trudged down to the weirdly barren fishing dock. I ran into my first hurdle, which is that my dad (and by extension I) had only ever used spincasters and that I wasn't quite sure how to operate my new reel. After a lot of futzing around and almost decking an innocent woman with a tiny crankbait like an absolute idiot I eventually managed to work out how to cast, and spent the next hour messing around with the crankbait to no avail. Eventually I swapped it for an inline spinner, which almost instantly proved more fruitful as I got my first bite within the next couple of casts.

I thought it was decent for a first solo fish and congratulated myself on a job well done, and went to go and free it... only to realize that my childhood "ewww" instincts were still alive and well, although not nearly as crippling as before. I managed to get it off the hook with minimal physical contact (made easier thanks to crimped barbs) and continued on, throwing it back in the same spot in the hopes that I'd catch a few more from its school. Instead, after a few casts I got a good, solid hit that my hazy childhood fishing memories recognized as a bass, and in trying to reel it in I realized I didn't know how to adjust the drag on my new reel. I semi-learned in the moment as I messed with the reel and hauled it in, making a mental note to actually learn how to use my equipment before next time.

I was in the zone. I had hit my stride. I was ready to spend the rest of the day out there and catch fish... until I looked down at my pink arm and realized I'd forgotten sunscreen. Ended up cutting the trip short because I'm excessively white and didn't want to be miserable for the next few days. All in all I had a good time, I can see how this can be addicting and I'm looking forward to fishing more in the future.

Just a couple of notes, you can buy rubberized gloves to handle fish with, and you should try to avoid dangling them by their jaw like that since it damages the soft tissues of the jaw, which the gloves will help with.

https://www.wired2fish.com/fish-biology/what-happens-when-you-hold-a-bass

Nice catches though, especially for your first time back at it!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I've yet to take a larger hit of catfish venom, but even small ones from hand catching 4-6" Plecos from aquariums kind of hurt. Get finned and painfully envenomed is fun!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

I’m an old Santa Cruz jetty fisherman. Never really fished SF but fishing a whole anchovy anywhere you caught it should lead to something grabbing it.

There is really no better feeling in life than fishing for something small, getting it on the hook, and having it turn into bait for something bigger before you manage to pull it out of the water.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I tell old men how to best fish my pond and... they just don't believe me. I just want them to have more fun, but the culture is so broken that they think i'm misleading them.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

They drained like 1/2 of my pond for maintenance work. I dunno if this just means more fish in a smaller area, but they are loving grumpy and not going for the food like usual. :(

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Here's some more pics from this weekend in no particular order

What is this???

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

camoseven posted:

I figured cats would need a bigger rod cause they're real fuckin big? Do they just not fight much?

A 12" Bullhead feels like you caught a big stick. They're the worst fighters ever. Bigger cats may be different.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I love eating octopus because eating something smarter than I am is great.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

durabrand107 posted:

Is it ok to post fish pics/pics of fishing here or is this more for fishing trips kinda thing? I don't fly fish or anything cool like that, mostly fish for bass and speck (black crappie) in central Florida, with the occasional chain pickerel, florida gar, or mudfish (bowfin). It's speck time here but haven't been having the luck this year that I had past years. My neighbor swears he's finding them up in 3-4 foot water right now, so maybe that's it.

The lake I'm on is kind of interesting because for Florida, it's relatively deep, getting above 30ft in some parts. For shallow stuff I mostly fish unweighted trick worms, with a weedless texas rig, so a buried point basically. Fish a lot of minnows and shiners as well. I haven't really landed a Florida lunker yet though (moved here about 3 years ago from Southern California), my biggest is 6.5lbs on grips.

Been following the thread a while and kinda want to participate!

Please post all the Gar and Bowfin. I love me some primitives.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Tell me how.

I've heard people use pieces of rope because their jaws are very boney so it's hard to set a hook in them.

Google "rope lure"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I thought about getting some Bowfin for my local pond but apparently if you put a few into a small pond you just end up with Bowfin and then they die cause they've eaten everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ghostnuke posted:

wait til the snakehead migrate north, we'll all be sick of them

It annoys me that there is only one or two Snakehead species that can effectively set up camp in NA but they are all banned from import/breeding/sale. I come at this from the angle of an aquarium hobbyist though.