Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

rod action will also have an effect when you're actually fighting the fish. a slow rod will make it easier to keep it pinned when it makes a sudden run because you've got more flex in the rod to absorb it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

Cool, a dickspoon thread. This place really does cater for every niche and I'm glad it looks like the forums will continue.

Would it be possible to make a cursed dick dickspoon? I'm thinking the right angle bend could be incorporated as a bib to give it some action.

:nws:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

me your dad posted:

1990, age fourteen. I was very lucky to have this in my backyard.

dang I wish I had Johnny from Karate Kid in my backyard

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Title is good, settle down beavis

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Where should I shop for tackle? There's a Dick's nearby but Cabela's isn't. Are Amazon prices good? I've heard of Tackle Warehouse too. Best price would be great so I don't feel AS stupid casting into a tree.

cabela's online is decent, tackle warehouse is good but pretty much only for bass stuff.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

joem83 posted:

I've spent a shameful amount of money at Tackle Warehouse. A+ site, especially if you live in California and you can get the $5.75 overnight shipping.

that's one thing I forgot to mention about them - they're pretty slow to to ship sometimes. I put in an order and they didn't even pack it up for a couple days, and then another few to get to me. Cabela's has poo poo to me in 2 days mostly.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

I'll check out Dick's online first then. Any good fishing apps to recommend? Trying to decide what our route for Boundary Waters will be and camping by some good spots would be nice.

fishbrain will show you where other people caught things, but honestly you'll be better served by learning to read topo maps. then you won't need an app.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

if I had a dollar for every time some stranger molested my bass hole...

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Help!
I have an old Abu Ambassadeur 5500, not the 5500c, not an Abu Garcia. I don’t know poo poo about baitcasters but want to put it on a rod and use it for baitfishing in deep water for catfish, pike, big trout, walleye, etc.
What kind of line should I use? Braid?
What kind of rod? An Ugly Stik of some sort is my go to big fish rod, at least for a spinning setup.

pretty sure I have the exact same one, I put some 45 lb braid on it I think.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

do I ever have just the friend for you

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Has anyone tried the pflueger pres xt caster? Been thinking about grabbing one, I love the spinning version.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

man those low gunwales would make me nervous, but nice fish.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Yesssss, finally a st croix bro

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

charliebravo77 posted:

Gimme 24 hours. I'm grouse hunting near their factory this weekend and evidently their factory store has blemished rods for like half off.

Ooo poo poo, take some pics

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

e: where does one buy a dick spoon these days?

koboldsworkshop.com

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Now can we guarantee that these dickspoons will catch muskies? No, but if you look at my posts in this here thread, there is a muskie munching on a dickspoon.

goddamn muskie bit off my 20g dickspoon

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

THESE GUYS GOT REELS THAT COST MORE THAN A SUIT FROM TONY'S SUIT WORLD

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Just a heads up, St. Croix is clearing out retired rods 20% off and has $5 flat shipping

https://stcroixrods.com/collections/rod-shopper?mc_cid=94af6b8199&mc_eid=d3d72e028a

Considering picking up another Mojo Inshore, cause' hot drat.

Be aware that those are old models made of SCII graphite, definitely not as good as the new ones. They'll still be good, just not as

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Canadianjerkey posted:

Yeah, I was pretty stoked on that one! This lake definitely carries a few honkers, the record is 19lb. https://www.westernbass.com/article/19-pound-largemouth-shatters-chabots-lake-record

I don't think that's one I'm gonna catch from shore though.

you absolutely could though. bass like the bank just as well as open water

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Pulled my limit of trout today, on the feathered dickspoon found only at Kobolds Workshop

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Anyone have any tips for keeping your line guides from icing over when the water is cold?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

You'll pretty much need to reset it for each fish. I want it just loose enough that the fish can barely pull line out, but tight enough that I can still pull it in.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Panfish? ANY FISH ultralight rod.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

This arrived safely, thanks King of Bees!

:argh:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Yooper posted:

My one, and only, St. Croix rod.

Those are rookie numbers, you gotta pump that up

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

FB is useless for me, everyone is too protective of "their" spots. It's just a bunch of people asking where the fish are and then some goober saying "have you checked the water? lolllololololl"

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

*suddenly breaks into thread, breathing hard*

my dude *puff* *puff* have you tried st croix?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Holy poo poo Dobyns Rods is headquartered right near where I live.

This looks great. I’m wondering if I should get one of these plus a medium or medium-heavy action rod for bigger fish. If I get a medium-light rod, would there be any major benefit in getting a medium rod to go with it, or is it more cost-effective to go straight to medium-heavy after that? I guess this depends on the specific rods in question, but in terms of Dobyns Fury Series rods (or I guess Champion Series if I find another $150 lying around in my couch cushions :lol:), would I be better off going with medium or medium-heavy for bass?

I have not. Are they good for bass?

They definitely have bass specific lines, but decide what power/action you want and then find it on their site. Might be a rod for walleye or whatever but the fish don't care what's printed on your rod.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ned himself lives in my town. I can drive by and take pictures of his house under goon-law.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

LegionAreI posted:

Anyone use braid on light-ultralight stuff? I'm getting tired of the memory on the mono and looking to try something new if it's viable.

I use fluoro on my UL stuff

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Sickening posted:

I have always wondered about what fishing is like for you northerners. Since you only get part of the year to fish with good weather, I would think it always gets super busy.

Texas is just busy all the time so I am use to it.

Ice fishing is a thing, and it's great

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Math You posted:

Does anyone have some insight into the back end of how stocking is managed? I'm just curious how they go about raising millions of trout, walleye, etc to dump into lakes every year.. how they identify and access lakes, whatever else.

I've been to some pretty remote lakes that are stocked and like.. how? ATV trails? Float planes? How many liters of water do you need to transport 2000 trout fry? Are they transplanted as fry?... That itself is another assumption. Are there giant tanks of domestic fish they harvest from? So many questions!

around here they come in a truck that backs up to the water and they all get dumped out a chute

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Sickening posted:

Please come down south and shoot every carp you see. Please and thanks.

I hate this poo poo, carp are fish too. stop killing them just because they aren't "sportfish"

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Asian carp yeah, there's like 4 or 5 species that are completely native. it's poo poo like this that makes people throw them up on the bank in the hundreds, it's ignorant as poo poo.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

oh excuse me, they've only been here for the last 150 years :rolleyes:

they're super destructive though, we might have to do something if they keep it up for another hundred years or so

edit: lol just started reading about bass - "The largemouth bass has been introduced into many other regions and countries due to its popularity as a sport fish. It causes the decline, displacement or extinctions of species in its new habitat through predation and competition,[31] for example in Namibia. They are also an invasive species in the Canadian province of New Brunswick, and are on the watch list across much of the far northern US and Canada. In colder waters, these fish are often a danger to native fish fry such as salmon and trout.[32] They have also been blamed for the extinction of the Atitlan grebe, a large waterbird which once inhabited Lake Atitlan, Guatemala.[33] In 2011, researchers found that in streams and rivers in the Iberian Peninsula, juvenile largemouth bass were able to demonstrate trophic plasticity, meaning that they were able to adjust their feeding habits to obtain the necessary amount of energy needed to survive. The ability to do such, allows them to be successful as invasive species in relatively stable aquatic food webs.[34] Similarly, a study done in Japan showed that the introduction of both largemouth bass and bluegill into farm ponds have caused increases in the numbers of benthic organisms, resulting from the predation on fishes, crustaceans, and nymphal odonates by the bass.[35] The largemouth bass has been causing sharp decreases in native fish populations in Japan since 1996, especially in bitterling fish in Lake Izunuma-Uchinuma.[36]"

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 18, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

guess you'll have to die mad about it :shrug:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

gonna think about you every time I cut some loser's line snagging for catfish and throwing carp on the bank

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I had the shot, there was no danger, so I took it.

AND BROKE A MAJOR RULE OF ENGAGEMENT

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

it's such an easy thing to do, I bleed every fish I keep. *snip* *snip* into the bucket, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

it it's not heavy enough to put a little bend in the rod to hold it up it's too light.

it's this, you need some flex to yeet that thing out there