Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
here's a fish i caught once

i hope to catch another one soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

DeesGrandpa posted:

decided to hit every lovely little lake/pond I usually see on the platte river trail. Caught nothing but a buzz but it was a fun time so can't complain too much.

How did you rig your bike to hold your rod like that? I live like 3km from Lake Ontario and definitely wouldn't mind doing some bike fishing

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

DeesGrandpa posted:

Super easy. Cheap blackburn cage on the fork, rod handle (ugly stick elite i think) fits securely in it, then just use the straps to cinch it down. since this pic was taken I've just taken to riding with the rod fully assembled, while it means it will rub against you, having it in half puts it at a great jab you in the gut if you crash position that I wasn't fully ok with.

genius, thanks! and yeah good point about the impaling risk

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

Fishing owns, except for when it doesn't -- then it eats poo poo and is stupid.

I pretty much only fish when it's nice out because then the worst case scenario is I spent some time outside on a nice day

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Caught 3 hogs today and 7 or 8 dinks. First good one was on the whopper plopper and everything else was on ol reliable ned.

Also lost a lot of ned rigs to the depths. I saw this video of a guy Texas rigging them and sticking a weight in the end, I need to try that

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Elmnt80 posted:

I do suck at jokes so this tracks. I'll take suggestions on a new title tho!

Talking about our dinks

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Got skunked last year on this lake in the middle of nowhere fishing from a leaky canoe with no seats but we got to see a family of beavers and that was really cool.

The bite is on in Algonquin right now, my bass thumb is so bad I can't unlock my phone.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It was boiling hot for the past month but it finally cooled off just yesterday. Very happy to have cooler temps, especially at night.

Elmnt80 posted:

That smallmouth is gorgeous. The colors on it are just amazing. :swoon:

The fish have just been lookin so good this trip! Here's another one from the other day:

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can lose fewer ned rigs? This lake is absolutely littered with lay downs and I'm going through 2-3 of them a day. One thought I had was Texas rigging the TRD and using a nail weight but I don't know if that'll work as well. Does anyone make offset hook jig heads? Ned rig has been outstanding for me up here but man it's getting expensive.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Elmnt80 posted:

Hella jelly of those beautiful bronze fish. Maybe one day I'll get to go after some chunky smallmouth. :swoon:

Maybe try these for weedless ned heads? https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Block_Head_Offset_Jighead_4pk/descpage-BLO.html
There's a few other offset ned rig heads out there, but they use a much bigger hook or don't have that proper flat head shape to let the baits stand up.

Thanks that looks like exactly what I need!

gvibes posted:

I tried pinching the barbs of the my kids' hooks so I don't kill every fish they catch ripping swallowed hooks out. Turns out that just means that they don't catch any fish!

If you're fishing live bait have you tried circle hooks? I find those (debarbed) are pretty great for drama-free releases.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Reading around online, maybe use smaller and lighter jigheads. As light as possible, then keep them off the bottom. Maybe someone who fishes these more can tell you. From what I read, Smallmouth hit on the drop more than they pick off the bottom, so a slower drop keeps them in strike zone more anyways.

I have some of the 1/16th ones and they do get snagged less but still pretty frequently. I tend to get a lot of bites on the drop but I do get lots when bouncing on the bottom too. I've been fishing the whopper plopper a lot because it's like the only lure I have that doesn't get snagged up but I don't get nearly the number of bites that I get from ol ned.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Jump King posted:

Where in Algonquin were you?

I'm going to the west side next month, I'll be trying to catch some lake trout there, in addition to the smallies.

nice! technically we're just outside of algonquin, on the southwest corner. we can climb a waterfall from our lake into the park though. pretty much only have smallies here but there's some perch coming back too (which has made my perch whopper plopper pretty deadly)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I ended up just Texas rigging my TRDs the typical way (without pegging the weight) and I still got a ton of bites. The only major difference is the real dinky fish don't seem to get hooked, but when the bigger ones are biting that's fine with me. The only real problem is the bait slides up on the line after every bite, but that's a much smaller problem than getting snagged. I also sent that tackle warehouse link for offset jig heads to my local shop and they've ordered some in for me but while I'm up on the lake here I've only got what I brought.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Good instinct, every kid I've ever fished with has always liked fishing with something you cast, reel in, and repeat. Little mepps agila #2 is a killer for me (I cut one of the hooks off to make releasing waaay easier.)

even as an adult I find bobber fishing a complete snore. If I could sit still I wouldn't need to be fishing in the first place.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Got any whopper ploppers?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

nerox posted:

Got my first fish from a kayak this morning!

Nice! Did you love it?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been getting bites pretty consistently with my whopper plopper 75. Not as many as my ned rig but it's more fun when they do hit.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Great photos! What are you shooting with? I've been thinking I'd like a nicer camera for when I'm yakking but obviously the whole body of water thing is a concern

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Syano posted:

The top water bite is almost non-existent for me at the moment. What sort of conditions are you throwing that whopper plopper in?

Air temp in the 70s or low 80s, water temp around 75, calm water on a small-ish lake, usually in the morning or evening throwing close to shore over rocks and laydowns. SMB only, no largies.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

charliebravo77 posted:

It's a Fuji XF10. Not waterproof so it's not a perfect fishing solution but it has an aps-c sensor and a f2.8 lens so it produces much higher quality photos than most pocketable cameras. I keep it in a waterproof zippered pouch when I'm wading or paddling until I am secure enough to take a photo.

Wow yeah I googled it and was not expecting a camera that small. Last time I bought a camera was a DSLR I picked up in like 2010 and you definitely couldn't get depth of field like you're getting on a point and shoot back then.

What I really need is just more optical zoom than what I have on my phone. My phone is fine for fish selfies but when I see a cool bird on shore or on the water it's pretty much useless. This is the best pic I was able to get of a cool heron I saw last week

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I should probably just bring my DSLR out sometime since it's just collecting dust anyway

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
nice fish! i don't think i've ever caught anything on a crankbait. seems like a fun way to fish but i'm always hesitant to throw mine because of snags. maybe i should get some cheaper ones.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
NDYakAngler is my favourite fishing channel by far, dude is so cool and is constantly catching monster smallies. He's put a lot of effort into getting great audio on his videos and it makes them so nice to watch.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
how much money do you have and what kind of water are you fishing and how big are you?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
where do you guys live that you have these holes? every piece of water near me is either very well known or private.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How are you gonna fish from a car though

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My in-laws' cottage is right near Algonquin and I do pretty much all my fishing there. The Yamamoto worms are good but if you can get your hands on some ned rigs (using the zman TRD) that should pretty much guarantee you a smallmouth. Mepps are usually pretty good for a bite. I catch gently caress all on spoons, crankbaits, and jerk baits but we really only have smallies in our lake. Only time I've caught a laker is trolling in early spring. Once it warms up they're down deep.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Farking Bastage posted:

The nice thing about giving up alcohol is I'm not too drunk to fish in the evenings after work and I can afford nice gear :D

You mean I'm finally not the only sober fisherman?

Just beware of the mental disorder that presents itself as "well I'm not drinking so I can afford to buy <item that costs 3-5x what I would've spent on alcohol in the same period>"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I took the rear hooks off my whopper ploppers a while ago because I was finding the catches were mainly coming from the front hooks and the rear ones were just cutting up fish, but I'm finding I get a LOT of strikes on my ploppers that don't result in hook ups. I had a fish hit it 3 times on one cast and not get hooked. I'm thinking about adding some single inline hooks at the rear, anyone have any experience replacing trebles with singles? Also is there anything I can do with my retrieve or anything else to improve hook up ratio? I mainly fish for smallmouth and I use a 90 and a 75.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Dik Hz posted:

In my experience, the smallmouth that are hitting those without getting hooked are too small to bite the lure. Use a much smaller lure or just be OK with only catching the bigger ones, imho.

That could be it, we're pretty far north and have a lot of dinky smallmouth in the lake. I guess I need to add some kind of tiny topwater lure to my repertoire, I'd rather catch the small guys than nothing. Gotta respect their chutzpah going after the big lures though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Dik Hz posted:

If you want to catch dink smallmouth, just use a 2" inline spinner. The big boys will hit it also.

Oh yeah the inline spinners are great for dink smallmouth, I usually start throwing my Mepps when I can't find any big guys. I've also had a lot of luck catching fish of all sizes just texas rigging a Z-Man TRD. I was ned rigging a lot before but I find I get nearly as many bites just texas rigging it and I don't lose nearly as many baits to snags.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’ve had great success with the rapala mini pop r. Bluegill will eat it too.

Farking Bastage posted:

Do they still make tiny torpedos? That's a good one too. On Ultralight, I cannot recommend the Rebel CrickHoppers enough. Everything wants to demolish a grasshopper apparently. If they're not hitting on top, a slow retrieve will run around 1-2' deep and bream and bass will slam the gently caress out of that too.

I'll add these to my shopping list, thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Hekk posted:

I’ve been fishing in rocky shallow parts of the very northern part of the Mississippi. I caught 7 or 8 smallmouth the other evening over the course of 30-45 minutes just casting plastic Ned rigs. Being rocky though, I am finding I lose a bunch of lures.

Is there another way that I’d be less likely to get so many snags and fish in the same area? I am using a St Croix 6’6” Eyecon Walleye medium-light fast action rod and a Legalis LT2000 reel with 6 lbs mono. I have very little freshwater fishing experience so this is all new.

I have the same issue, tons of rocks and logs where I fish, and also tons of smallmouth that love the ned rig. I started texas rigging the plastics instead of using the shroom head jig and I get almost as many bites, and far fewer snags. Still some snags though.

I also fish topwater a lot when I get sick of snagging all the time (although last summer I stripped down to my boxers and jumped off the boat to go get my whopper plopper that was stuck on a branch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Hooplah posted:

as you fish an area enough you'll start remembering where the nasty spots are so you'll snag less.

the problem where i fish is the nasty spots are also where the fish like to hang out