Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hekk posted:

I’ve been fishing in rocky shallow parts of the very northern part of the Mississippi. I caught 7 or 8 smallmouth the other evening over the course of 30-45 minutes just casting plastic Ned rigs. Being rocky though, I am finding I lose a bunch of lures.

Is there another way that I’d be less likely to get so many snags and fish in the same area? I am using a St Croix 6’6” Eyecon Walleye medium-light fast action rod and a Legalis LT2000 reel with 6 lbs mono. I have very little freshwater fishing experience so this is all new.

that's cool water, i'm jealous. i fish that river a lot down around minneapolis. anyway, you could give blade baits a try if it's not *too* shallow. you tend to retrieve them straight so they don't find bottom like a jighead does. of course, when you do inevitably snag anyway, you'll be out a bit more than if you lost a neg rig...

you could also have a repertoire of crankbaits that aren't topwater but only dive to a given depth. again this is all based on my guessing of what your environment looks like.

you should just get used to losing rigs, though. as you fish an area enough you'll start remembering where the nasty spots are so you'll snag less. losing gear is 100% an expected occurrence in rocky rivers. when i go to a new river spot i pretty much expect i'll spend more time tying new gear on than i'm actually in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Try learning the FG knot to splice two lines together. It won’t have any tags to catch on. Just be sure to practice and get it right before taking it into battle. Ask a pack of kobolds- he got to see me toss a brand new mepps aglia into the water due to a poorly tied FG :homebrew:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

I use braid on all my reels and have never had any of those issues tbh

same. 12 lb braid on my spinning reel casts like a dream and is amazing for feeling subtle strikes and sensing what's on bottom when jigging.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Anyone have any wisdom regarding fishing the miss during such a severe drought? levels are further down than i've ever seen and I'm not certain how to change up tactics. or maybe switch to the lakes which haven't been affected as much?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hekk posted:

https://www.teva.com/men-sandals/original-universal/1004006.html

I bought those for a canoe trip through the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota. I fish wearing them while I wade in the Mississippi and they are perfect for protecting my feet from the bottom of the river. They fit great and wear to form an imprint of your foot so they get super comfy. Not the most stylish things ever made but I love them.

ha, i was gonna suggest those exact sandals also. i bought a pair for a boundary waters trip and now wear them fishing regularly

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Caught my new best ever channel cat yesterday! 8 lbs, 26". I was bouncing a 1 oz jighead + whole crawler around in some current at my local river spot. The cat absolutely SMASHED my bait and rose straight to the surface giving a nice loud beavertail slap. That thing pulled drag like an absolute monster on my lighter casting rig. Definitely the best fight I've felt since fishing Puget sound kings. Was cackling to myself like a madman the whole time, such an adrenaline rush hooking into something bigger than you expect. By the time I had it pulled onto shore, the snap had popped open and my jighead was bent at like a 30 degree angle.

3lbs of delicious fillets

and a bonus 19-incher from a couple weeks ago at the same spot

also, i'm test driving some hobie pedal yaks tonight :getin:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

To me, it depends on how long it'll sit around. Live in a bucket works for a while, but the fish will suffocate probably within the hour unless you're refreshing the water. that can be pretty challenging from a pier, especially if the bucket has fish in it. if you have a portable aerator, that may solve the problem, but i've never done it. I'd say anything longer than a couple hours you should at least get the fish bled and on ice. Gutting immediately depends on species, imo. if it's actually kept well-iced, most species keep whole without gutting all day. just be careful how you store it if you gut it. once you cut the fish open, don't leave it submerged in water or that could get the meat waterlogged.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the yeti posted:

I have 4, all freshwater spinning:

6’6” medium heavier jigs/ bottom fish
6’ med-light, whatever
7’ med-light, whatever
5’5” ultralight, under trees/just loving around

This is me, basically. Ultralight and medium light rigged up for live bait/bobber and a couple rods rigged for casting and jigs. Line is important too, 4lb mono on the ultralight, 20 lb braid on my best casting rod, 8 lb mono on the others. I’d also like to get a longer heavy rod for soaking bait in the heavy river current for catfish, I’m afraid of casting more than an ounce with my other rods, plus snags on the river are a lot easier to deal with when I’m spooled up with 30-50 lb mono. It sucks switching back and forth between heavy bait rigs and casting lures on one rod

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I hear live fiddler crab on a jighead dropped around the dock pilings is the way to go for sheepshead and whatever else may be around

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the yeti posted:

Eliasvfishing on youtube likes to do a fiddler, mud crab, or quartered blue crab on a jig and catches piles of sheepshead and black drum with it, so yeah that's on the docket to try.

oh, good! was gonna recommend his channel if you hadn't heard of him, actually. he really seems to know what he's doing in the NC saltwater.

any chance you'd be able to rent a kayak or small dinghy? that'd really help if your dock isn't performing or the surf isn't cooperating

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Well that's certainly hard to beat. Thanks!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Nice spot, nice fish! Those rocks look a little fishy, any rockfish/cabezon/lings lurking around?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've been out fishing a bunch since opener a couple weeks ago, and I even caught a few fish!

opener morning on lake nokomis i caught 4 walleye, all 12-14". i kept and ate the 14". pictured was probably the smallest one. actually the first walleye i've ever caught+ate completely on my own. that's been a big motivation of mine

that morning i also caught my first ever tiger muskie :toot: (even if it's just a baby)

don't tell my boss, but last week i snuck out over lunch break to catch some smallies. my work is pretty much right on the river so it's way too convenient

this weekend i also took the kayak out on the lake by my wife's family place during a get together and caught this lil pike

also got out on the river on my kayak and caught a few smallmouth. i'm starting to wonder if there's anything besides channel cats and smallmouth in the area because that's literally the only two species i've caught there in the last year.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

I mostly tie on hooks and lures with an improved clinch knot. Is it ok for thicker mono line like 15lb or more? I feel like there's probably a better knot to use. It's not like I'm breaking off or anything but it's a bit harder to tie a knot with line that thick.

i generally use a palomar for terminal tackle. maybe easier to tie with thick line than thin actually. it's super simple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY4ZLtuG3fg

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yooper posted:

Headed up to Wakami Lake Provincial Park on Thursday. Am very excited. We're renting a 16' boat from the Park, which makes the whole trip super convenient.

Initial plan is to cast jigs tipped with worms or white twisters. Will probably get some minnows too. Maybe drag some raps in the evening. Anyone have any other lures or techniques we could try?

if you're looking for walleye try a crawler harness + spoon while trolling nice and slow. will probably need a sinker to get it down, you'll want it to be close to bottom. try looking for nice steep ledges and rocky/gravel points.

everything eats worms, so as a bonus you'll probably also see pike and smallmouth depending on where you troll

https://lakeofthewoodsmn.com/how-to-tie-and-manage-crawler-harnesses/

actually, do you know if you get lake trout over there? i don't know anything about fishing for them but they sure seem fun

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

according to fishbrain the main attraction on wakami will be the walleye and some pretty decent looking pike. remember you don't need to go terribly deep this time of year. troll parallel to the shore sticking relatively close and just off the bottom. vary your depth a bit, going out further and coming back in letting out line as necessary to hug the bottom until you find them, then try to hone in. they'll often be piled up and concentrated in certain spots, so try not to get attached to any given area if you're not catching.

good luck!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

yak fishing on the river in particular is so much better than being stuck on the bank. I spend a LOT of time when bank fishing just retying after hitting snags. almost never lose gear in the yak, so i spend a significantly higher percentage of the time with my line in the water. love it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I love my hobie and really have nothing bad to say about it besides it's hard to haul around with just a civic. can be done easily enough, just takes a bit of time and exertion to load/unload. I don't think many of the pedal drive kayaks are much lighter than my compass in any case.

i don't have any experience with screw-style pedal drives, but i have to imagine they'd get tangled up more easily in long thin weeds?

obviously the big limiter is hobies are expensive and seem to hold their value better than others, but if you can afford it they're awesome

here's a shot from the river yesterday. beautiful day, but not a single nibble :argh:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

So I'm visiting Sedona, AZ this spring and I see online that Oak Creek, which runs right through town, is by all accounts one of the better trout streams in the state. Native brookies and stocked rainbows. I have zero fly experience but am interested in catching some trout. i need light and packable tackle so I can get through airports easily. Checking out people's pics/videos from the area makes the water look pretty small and tight. would tenkara be a good fit for what I'm trying to do? spinning rods are an option but probably for only certain holes.

someone point me in the right direction for portable fly gear, ty

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I dropped a month when I went on vacation to south Florida so I could get relatively exact locations for shoreline catches, that was helpful given I didn’t know where to go otherwise.

For most use cases though… no. Also that was a few years ago and I’m sure the app has been given a few coats of poo poo-paint since then

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

DamnitGannet posted:

I bought a spinning reel after using spincasters my whole life and I feel like everyone is playing a prank on me by saying how great they are. If I even look at it wrong all the line pops off and manages to get tangled around. It came with the line already on so anytime it loses tension it just goes sproing in little tangled circles. Would putting fresh line on it help?

yep, that's either poo poo line or someone spooled it on backwards. when buying a reel always put fresh line on.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Brut posted:

Hey quick question, why are fishing landing nets so expensive? is there a good reliable cheap one ya'll recommend? Feels like it should be under like $10 but maybe there's some reasoning behind it :shrug:

Generally what kind of net will depend on what kind of fishing. Bassing from a boat you’ll usually want something with a nice long handle, which will just get in the way if you’re in a kayak, and trout stream fly fisherman will use those super expensive wooden dip nets with the soft silicone netting so as to be gentle with c&r trout and because they’re easy to carry for a long day in the stream.

On my kayak I use an aluminum thing with a short handle and rubber-coated netting I got at one of the big department places.

E- pretty sure I bought this one with the shorter handle. I don’t remember it being $45 but it’s possible, or maybe prices have jumped that much in the last couple years. In any case I’d recommend spending the bit extra for a net with the rubber coating. Much easier on the fish that way. The raw nylon cords slice right through fins.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/promar-premier-anglers-series-landing-net-20pmraprmnglr24hpfac/20pmraprmnglr24hpfac

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I wish rock bass got bigger. They’re aggressive, thrive in accessible waterways, and fight well for their size. Cool fish.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

god, social media is such mind poison. poor guy, i definitely feel for him, but he needs some friends to give him The Hard Talk

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've still never had smallies but pike absolutely taste great. If you're frying fillets you kinda need a bigger one to make it worthwhile given the y-bones you need to cut out. i probably wouldn't keep one under maybe 22" unless i was cooking it in a way i can pull the bones out after

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

I'm one of those weirdos that never keeps a fish no matter how big it is. I fish for the fight. Apparently I'm in kind of a minority?

i mean, america is loaded with bass fishermen, none of whom keep any fish at all most of the time. now, if you're talking coastal saltwater fishing, yeah you're crazy. most salt fish taste better than most freshwater fish. i wish i could get to the coasts to fish more, but alas... minnesota

goddamn look at these sheepshead fillets i grilled last time i fished in florida, cmon man

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Freshwater drum is actually pretty good too. They make a huge filet of uniform thickness. I'd carefully pull out the red meat and get them shallow frying really fast. Haven't done it in a while but I remember the flesh being similar to a marine fish, just a little chewy but not unpleasantly so.

That’s right. It actually holds up on a grill, unlike most every other freshwater fish.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Polarization just helps in general with cutting glare off the water. Even if it won’t help you see into the water it’ll help with eye strain immensely. it’s worth it for that if you’ll be staring at the water for a while. I consider mine mandatory for fishing on sunny days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

If you dose a pond with a bunch of lithium the fish really chill out and you can catch them easy.

i'm so happy cuz today i found my friends

they're in my pond