Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'll go first:

The name. It's a stupid name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I hand made a pair and they add at least two feet to the minimum distance of your trees. They were ok with the eno hammock i started with but when i upgraded to an 11 footer i switched to straps and beckett hitches, which i’ve found to be more versatile and no more difficult to set up

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you not like about whoopie slings?

Like hypnophant said they add length to your minimum hanging distance which can bite you out on the trail.

I also personally think they’re harder to loosen and adjust under load than using straps with a buckle or a beckett hitch or marlinspike.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I got whoopies on my first hammock and have never really looked to change them out. It's incrementally annoying how much extra length they require, but then I just set up somewhere else if it's a big deal.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Went on a perfect little sub-24 overnighter with a friend the other night. He borrowed my UL tent, I hung in my Blackbird XLC. I hung my tarp because rain was in the forecast but wish I had left it in the snakeskins as it ended up being perfectly clear. Didn’t even need a top quilt, I brought a travel sheet instead and ended up using it as a supplementary pillow. Woke up feeling like a million bucks.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I just ordered that Dutch setup I was talking about earlier, went with a single layer instead.

I figure if my trees are too close I'll just unhook the whoopies, set them aside and just hang direct from continuous loops to marlinspikes. Being able to unhook one or both will give me a lot of flexibility in minimum/maximum hang distance and ease of adjustment.

Edit: new hammock, 12 foot straps with clips, toggles, and hooked whoopies are gonna weigh less than one pound altogether :woop:

knobgobblin fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 15, 2021

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

How big a tarp do you all use?

I just got a 4x4m and it seems a bit too massive to be practical. OTOH I'm tall, so I'm probably going to upgrade my hammock to a diy 12' one eventually. Which should fit nicely under a 4m tarp.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pondex posted:

I just got a 4x4m and it seems a bit too massive to be practical. OTOH I'm tall, so I'm probably going to upgrade my hammock to a diy 12' one eventually. Which should fit nicely under a 4m tarp.

I use the Hennessy Hex Fly and think it's a great size. I think it's 143" / 360cm long.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Pondex posted:

Warbonnet’s superfly is hexagonal so it’s not a direct comparison, but the 13’ ridgeline version is specced 13’x10’, or a bit less than 4mx3m if i’m doing the conversion right, and that’s considered a quite large tarp. I’ve got the mountainfly 11’, which has the same width but smaller door flaps, to go with an 11’ hammock and it’s very generous. I’m 6’ and the 11’ has plenty of breathing room btw.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive got a superfly and a minifly. Both are fantastic tarps.

I love the superfly for winter, its ginourmous. The sides reach pretty much down to the sides and the doors seal up things really well. Otherwise my go to is the minifly. I've ridden out quite a few rainstorms in the minifly just fine.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I use the Hennessy Hex Fly and think it's a great size. I think it's 143" / 360cm long.

I got this guy and it rules.

I'm also stupid enough to fall into my hammock drunk and rip the bug net clean off so take that with a grain of salt.

$40 more dollars to warbonnet, I guess.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://www.rei.com/search?q=eno+doublenest+hammock

REI having a deep discount on ENO Doublenests right now. They're not the best camping hammocks, but they are fantastic lounging hammocks.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^^Great deal. We have two already or I would pick one up. Still tempting at the price to have another around.

ickna
May 19, 2004

We picked up a couple of those on sale right after Christmas but they ended up being a gateway drug into proper camping hammocks and now I am knee deep in dutchware chameleons.

I am so ready for spring to get here and stay. Tennessee has several good campgrounds that are state parks which are open for camping year round. The national parks seasons don’t even open until april/may.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ickna posted:

We picked up a couple of those on sale right after Christmas but they ended up being a gateway drug into proper camping hammocks and now I am knee deep in dutchware chameleons.

I am so ready for spring to get here and stay. Tennessee has several good campgrounds that are state parks which are open for camping year round. The national parks seasons don’t even open until april/may.

Hell yeah!!! What kind of tarp and quilt setup are you using?

I've got a LocoLibre 0F topquilt due soon, then a CedarRidge Outdoors UQ, and hopefully another LocoLibre UQ coming assuming his health holds up and he can return to work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I own two ENO double nests, and one amazon basics, I cannot tell the difference; I noticed the ENO sale hammocks are price competitve with the amazon basics ones now...

ickna
May 19, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hell yeah!!! What kind of tarp and quilt setup are you using?

I've got a LocoLibre 0F topquilt due soon, then a CedarRidge Outdoors UQ, and hopefully another LocoLibre UQ coming assuming his health holds up and he can return to work.

We're going to build our own UQ/TQ sets. For now we just have fleece blankets for top, and a synthetic UQ that we are going to use as a pattern to build a thicker set.
Edit: the UQ is the OneTigris shield cradle, and it is actually really warm all the way down to the 40s.

I have two tarps, one is the Dutch double wide xenon with two pole mods, so my gf and I can double hang under the same shelter. I also have a cheaper silnylon hex tarp from amazon that I don’t feel so bad about wrapping tight against my home made fence rail tensa stand when it just me hanging around by myself.

ickna fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 20, 2022

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Another successful hammock campout.

71 miles on a bike round trip and I kept away from the loving ticks that are intent on murdering me in Northern Michigan.

Who hurt you, ticks? Why are you doing this?

Also, titanium stakes rule, glad I splurged.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have any recommendations for car camping hammock stands? I thought Dutchware gear had some stuff a few years ago, but all I see is this thing, which is over 800$ :stonklol: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/yobogear-cricket-hammock-stand/#cricket-tarp-extension-package

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Tensa4 or the Tato gear stand are going to be your two best choices.

The Tato stand sells out within a day on Dutchs site, sign up for the email alerts. The tensa4 is great as well just requires a bit more rope work. I’ve used both and now have a Tato permanently setup in my backyard.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The Tensa4 or the Tato gear stand are going to be your two best choices.

The Tato stand sells out within a day on Dutchs site, sign up for the email alerts. The tensa4 is great as well just requires a bit more rope work. I’ve used both and now have a Tato permanently setup in my backyard.

Aha, those were it! Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Explains why I didn't see them listed on Dutch's site, found a link on google and looks like they don't have it listed (at least on mobile). Even Tato's direct link on their site is dead. Also looks like Dutch doesn't have Tensa listed anymore, but looks like that one is for sale directly at least.

I'll give the desktop site a go tomorrow, hopefully it's just a mobile site issue or something. Maybe I can track down some diy directions for the Tato since it's so hard to come by :(

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some ideas involving folding grappling hooks (not mine)

Cheaper than you think!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Everytime I go somewhere now I look at the trees to see if they are hammock viable now.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Don't tease me like this... A legitimate reason to buy a loving grappling hook!?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I mean that hammock setup looks totally hosed. Its pretty much at a 90 degree angle and strung banjo tight. I would at least get some straps or whoopis to hook up off of the grappling hooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly Dog
Jan 18, 2023

Living in a hammock down by the river looks pretty great (until there's a flood).