Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010
You can buy Manhattan real estate with 150 000$?

Sounds like a sound financial plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
This is the only place you can buy in manhattan for $150k or less based on realtor.com

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/526-W-158th-St-Apt-62_New-York_NY_10032_M39447-61256

Enjoy your 850' 3/1, seraph.

YumNocoinerTears
Feb 3, 2021

by Athanatos

Agricola Frigidus posted:

You can buy Manhattan real estate with 150 000$?
Lol no. It's called a down payment. It's called a mortgage. Heard of it?

Hello Sailor posted:

A) You're not a goon, Seraph84. You've been repeatedly rejected in your attempts to join the community of goons and just can't take a hint.

B) At this point all purchases of digital currency for speculation purposes are gambles, not investments. You can find any number of economists who have gone into great detail as to why, but you can't take a hint there, either. Anyone who gambled on bitcoin or dogecoin or etherium or whatever digital currency you want to cite and made money was lucky. Good investments are not based on luck.

C) gently caress off.
A) I have thousands of posts on this forum over the past 5 years. Virtually every member of this forum knows who I am, and I continue to post here whenever I choose. The owner of this forum and many other goons have told me I'm funny. My posts have been featured on the goons.txt twitter, and I have a SAclopedia entry. I am more of a goon than you will ever be, random bitter nocoiner goon #00387267

B) Investment? Speculation? The only meaningful difference between these two words is the degree of risk and reward involved. Since evaluating risk is entirely subjective, it's an exercise for each of us to define for ourselves what constitutes an investment and what constitutes speculation. "An investment is an asset or item acquired with the goal of generating income or appreciation in the future. Speculation is a financial transaction that has substantial risk of losing all value, but with the expectation of a significant gain."

Goons have been saying that Bitcoin is a high risk investment that is likely to lose all value for ten years, and they've been proven for ten years (and counting). Therefore, I argue that my Bitcoin holdings are in fact an investment by definition. You may disagree based on your own evaluation of the risks involved in holding Bitcoin – and that's fine! But going around claiming there is some objective truth about what determines whether something is speculation is stupid and by definition incorrect.

Risk is something we each have to define for ourselves. I decided the risk was low and the potential reward was tremendous, and ended up multiplying my initial investment ~150-fold in just over seven years. Take from that what you will.

C) No u. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Money talks, and bullshit walks. Strap in, cupcake, because I ain't goin nowhere!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Did you just reregister under a different account again? LMAO.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
bragging about being more of a goon than someone else is a bad thing hth

seraph is our very own donald trump. profoundly socially inept, brags endlessly about money he claims to have but actually doesn't, forever frustrated from being rousted for being a massive weirdo but digging the hole ever deeper because his only play is to repeat the same disturbing behavior which brought him to notability in the first place, forever cast as the sad clown who keeps missing his cue to just leave already

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 3, 2021

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

YumNocoinerTears posted:

Lol no. It's called a down payment. It's called a mortgage. Heard of it?

A) I have thousands of posts on this forum over the past 5 years. Virtually every member of this forum knows who I am, and I continue to post here whenever I choose. The owner of this forum and many other goons have told me I'm funny. My posts have been featured on the goons.txt twitter, and I have a SAclopedia entry. I am more of a goon than you will ever be, random bitter nocoiner goon #00387267

B) Investment? Speculation? The only meaningful difference between these two words is the degree of risk and reward involved. Since evaluating risk is entirely subjective, it's an exercise for each of us to define for ourselves what constitutes an investment and what constitutes speculation. "An investment is an asset or item acquired with the goal of generating income or appreciation in the future. Speculation is a financial transaction that has substantial risk of losing all value, but with the expectation of a significant gain."

Goons have been saying that Bitcoin is a high risk investment that is likely to lose all value for ten years, and they've been proven for ten years (and counting). Therefore, I argue that my Bitcoin holdings are in fact an investment by definition. You may disagree based on your own evaluation of the risks involved in holding Bitcoin – and that's fine! But going around claiming there is some objective truth about what determines whether something is speculation is stupid and by definition incorrect.

Risk is something we each have to define for ourselves. I decided the risk was low and the potential reward was tremendous, and ended up multiplying my initial investment ~150-fold in just over seven years. Take from that what you will.

C) No u. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Money talks, and bullshit walks. Strap in, cupcake, because I ain't goin nowhere!

A) You were banned and told to go away three days after making your first account, pedophile. I'm sorry that you think that having nothing better to spend money on and us humoring your mental illness makes you a member of the community, but it doesn't. I had never heard of you until your first post in this thread. You're certainly not the first person to make the mistake of thinking that being repeatedly asked to leave somehow makes you a member of the community, you probably won't be the last. You'll eventually snap out of it and disappear (or see C), just like all the ones before you. I'll still be here.

B) Ah, the "words mean whatever I want them to" defense. When I say "investment", "speculation", and "gambling" in regards to purchasing digital currency, I'm using them in the same sense that experts in the field do. You are not. For example, "investment" specifically refers to capital goods. Digital currencies are not a capital good. By definition, they are not an investment.

The price of bitcoin is entirely driven by mania. How can you tell? Because it's not significantly different from any other digital currency out there (it even has significant built-in problems that other d.currencies are better at avoiding), yet those currencies have not seen the sustained increase in price that bitcoin has and the general public never hears about them. This means BTC is a fad which will eventually die when the perception of novelty goes away. It could be next month, it could be another 10 years from now. When it fails, there will be people left holding the bag.

The willingness to accept risk is subjective, but the (correct) assessment of risk is not. People may be willing to bet money on a coin flip, but the odds don't stop being 50/50. On average, about one out of every thousand people will win ten coin flips in a row; do you think that means that one person made a good decision to speculate on coin flips?

C) Once a serial account buyer's harassment becomes sufficiently tiresome, the usual procedure is to seek legal solutions in civil and/or criminal court. Please, enlighten us on how you plan to use your wealth to evade the law.

BitcoinDominance
Feb 3, 2021

by Athanatos

Hello Sailor posted:

A) You were banned and told to go away three days after making your first account, pedophile. I'm sorry that you think that having nothing better to spend money on and us humoring your mental illness makes you a member of the community, but it doesn't. I had never heard of you until your first post in this thread. You're certainly not the first person to make the mistake of thinking that being repeatedly asked to leave somehow makes you a member of the community, you probably won't be the last. You'll eventually snap out of it and disappear (or see C), just like all the ones before you. I'll still be here.
Such hubris, to think that you have any chance of outlasting me in this place. It's much more likely that Jeffrey will sell the forums to me for 0.01 btc or so after hyper-bitcoinization!

Hello Sailor posted:

B) Ah, the "words mean whatever I want them to" defense. When I say "investment", "speculation", and "gambling" in regards to purchasing digital currency, I'm using them in the same sense that experts in the field do. You are not. For example, "investment" specifically refers to capital goods. Digital currencies are not a capital good. By definition, they are not an investment.
Ahh yes, “experts in the field” get to define words for us, the classic appeal to authority fallacy.

Hello Sailor posted:

The price of bitcoin is entirely driven by mania. How can you tell? Because it's not significantly different from any other digital currency out there (it even has significant built-in problems that other d.currencies are better at avoiding), yet those currencies have not seen the sustained increase in price that bitcoin has and the general public never hears about them. This means BTC is a fad which will eventually die when the perception of novelty goes away.
That's quite a logical leap you just made there. “Other cryptos have better fundamentals, therefore bitcoin will fail!” is a very old and very tired argument, and it's been debunked many times. Nevertheless, I'll do it again for you here and now:

While Bitcoin’s open-source software may be forked, its community and network effects cannot. Bitcoin makes trade-offs for core properties that the market deems valuable. Many digital assets have emerged that claim to improve on Bitcoin’s deficiencies. However, to date, none have been able to achieve Bitcoin’s network effects. Bitcoin has qualities that make it valuable, and it makes explicit trade-offs to offer those qualities, as mentioned multiple times in this piece.

While competitors have attempted to improve upon Bitcoin’s limitations (e.g., its limited transaction throughput or its volatility), it has been at the cost of the core properties that make Bitcoin valuable (e.g., perfect scarcity, decentralization, immutability). This explains why Bitcoin continues to dominate in terms of market cap, investors and users, miners and validators, as well as retail and institutional infrastructure and products. As shown in the charts below, bitcoin’s market cap is orders of magnitude higher than the combined market cap of competitors (other proof-of-work digital assets).

While Bitcoin’s software is open-source and may be forked and “improved” upon, its network effects and community of stakeholders (users, miners, validators, developers, service providers) that understand and accept the trade-offs it makes cannot be so easily replicated away.

Hello Sailor posted:

It could be next month, it could be another 10 years from now. When it fails, there will be people left holding the bag.
How convenient that you refuse to make any falsifiable predictions by carefully avoiding any clear timeline for the failure of bitcoin. Good to see at least some goons are finally learning from the arrogance of their predecessors.

Hello Sailor posted:

The willingness to accept risk is subjective, but the (correct) assessment of risk is not. People may be willing to bet money on a coin flip, but the odds don't stop being 50/50. On average, about one out of every thousand people will win ten coin flips in a row; do you think that means that one person made a good decision to speculate on coin flips?
Ahh yes, the “correct” assessment. Just out of curiosity, who is this infallible source of “correct opinions”? Perhaps you should consider the opinion of the one person on this forum who was right about Bitcoin being a sound investment for the past 7 years, instead of every other goon who was proven wrong? Just a thought.

Hello Sailor posted:

C) Once a serial account buyer's harassment becomes sufficiently tiresome, the usual procedure is to seek legal solutions in civil and/or criminal court. Please, enlighten us on how you plan to use your wealth to evade the law.
Wow, this sounds like a pretty serious situation! You should consider making a Dear Jeffrey post about it in QCS, to protect your fellow forum-goers from my evil campaign of harassment! Or maybe start a class action lawsuit against me involving the entire Something Awful community. It sounds like you have a pretty strong case!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

when i think 'good with money' i think of someone with mental discipline of steel spending $10 a post to yell at random nobodies on the internet

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Looks like he gets 2 posts in, so he's doubled his investment!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
:lmao: at anyone who lends the balance of Manhattan minus $150k to subprime seraph.

Bitcoin King Kai
Feb 6, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Hello Sailor posted:

Looks like he gets 2 posts in, so he's doubled his investment!
I'll take your lack of response as a forfeiture of the argument. Eagerly awaiting that QCS thread, by the way!

Mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRyLC2M1K2w

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

if you want to do a high risk high reward type of investment put all your money in a diversified portfolio of 30% scratch offs and 70% lottery tickets

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bitcoin King Kai posted:

I'll take your lack of response as a forfeiture of the argument. Eagerly awaiting that QCS thread, by the way!

Mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRyLC2M1K2w

Sorry, but who are you? The guy I was arguing with ceded the argument by getting banned a few times.

e:

Ariong posted:

Just because you don't agree with the definition of the word "minor" doesn't mean you can start redefining words as you please.

This, too. That guy didn't have an argument, he had a collection of buzzwords that meant whatever he wanted them to mean. If I yearned for that level of "intellectual discourse", I'd find a Flat Earther or creationist.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 7, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Why don't these people recognize that I am a font of sound financial wisdom? I'd better register another 10 SA forums accounts to ask them.

BitcoinDominance posted:

Ahh yes, “experts in the field” get to define words for us, the classic appeal to authority fallacy.

Just because you don't agree with the definition of the word "minor" doesn't mean you can start redefining words as you please.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 7, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The guys who get paid every time he reregs told him he was funny and should rereg while constantly banning him every single time he posts. This is a true sign that they like and accept him for his valuable contributions to the community.

NocoinerCowardice
Feb 8, 2021

by Pragmatica

Hello Sailor posted:

Sorry, but who are you? The guy I was arguing with ceded the argument by getting banned a few times.
Who am I? I'm your worst nightmare, nocoiner. I am inevitability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKL7towRw8Q

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
I'm assuming you have a fulltime job and want your investments to be strictly passive income. I am not a financial advisor, but this is just what has worked for me, a poo poo poster

- Only invest in things that you understand
- Only sell when you need the money
- Research. If you can't explain to your grandma how the company or asset turns a profit, pass. If you aren't sure, pass
- Invest in products and services that are #1 in their field or have a captive audience
- Spread your bets out. Better to diversify before you double down
- Be ready to hold for multiple years before you actualize your returns
- Real estate as an investment depends on where you live, but once you've paid it off you have access to a lot of equity
- If you invest in something high risk like day trading, crypto, or NFT's have a %ROI in mind to pull your stake money and reinvest it
- Capital gains on collectibles are locked at a 28% tax rate whether you hold for a year or not. If you were, however, to hit it big in the collectible world and needed access to capital, you could, in theory, have your holdings appraised and use the new valuation as collateral for a loan. Since you haven't actually made a sale though, you wouldn't have to pay any taxes for your paper earnings

You make your money on the buy. Don't wait for the market to bottom out to make a move, though, or you'll just get left behind. Over a long enough period of time, any well thought out investment should give you a return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mr_Companie posted:

I'm assuming you have a fulltime job and want your investments to be strictly passive income. I am not a financial advisor, but this is just what has worked for me, a poo poo poster

- Only invest in things that you understand
- Only sell when you need the money
- Research. If you can't explain to your grandma how the company or asset turns a profit, pass. If you aren't sure, pass
- Invest in products and services that are #1 in their field or have a captive audience
- Spread your bets out. Better to diversify before you double down
- Be ready to hold for multiple years before you actualize your returns
- Real estate as an investment depends on where you live, but once you've paid it off you have access to a lot of equity
- If you invest in something high risk like day trading, crypto, or NFT's have a %ROI in mind to pull your stake money and reinvest it
- Capital gains on collectibles are locked at a 28% tax rate whether you hold for a year or not. If you were, however, to hit it big in the collectible world and needed access to capital, you could, in theory, have your holdings appraised and use the new valuation as collateral for a loan. Since you haven't actually made a sale though, you wouldn't have to pay any taxes for your paper earnings

You make your money on the buy. Don't wait for the market to bottom out to make a move, though, or you'll just get left behind. Over a long enough period of time, any well thought out investment should give you a return.

All very good advice. I was reading an article on Warren Buffett, and one of the quotes that stuck with me is: "markets are a mechanism for transferring money from the impatient to the patient." The only thing I'd add is: by the time you've heard about this great new opportunity, the ship has sailed. The people who knew about it before you are going to make out like bandits, and depending on the investment, you may or you may not make a decent return. The people who made a lot of money with GME, for example, were the people who sold their stock to people desperate to catch the rising wave.