Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

The problem with Bitcoin is its high risk relative to other investments. If you have $100,000+ to play with this is not such a big deal and I’ve known people with this kind of money to have a small proportion of crypto in their portfolio, in the same way you would hold e.g private shares as an angel or exotics like fine art - they’re high-risk assets which help diversify your portfolio but which can also crater it if you rely too heavily on them.

$10,000 is way too small an amount to really be thinking about building a portfolio though, so echoing what other folks have said, just find a good index fund and put it in there. Maybe in a pension fund as I believe there’s tax benefits to investing in a pension in the US?

Most crypto is notoriously unstable and liable to lose all value if it turns out the developers were actually running a massive fraud, under delivered on promises, or the value was built on hype and memes. Bitcoin isn’t likely to go under tomorrow but it has the very real problem of being massively overvalued as an asset: it can’t be exchanged for most real goods and services, so its value comes from its perceived value alone (and drug and gun prices). This is different to, say, the dollar, which is widely used as an actual currency.

Considered as an asset, Bitcoin is very high risk and volatile; considered as a currency, it’s not great unless you’re a hardened criminal.

That said, goons were saying similar things a decade ago and I wish I’d bought in back when Bitcoin was $100 a coin. But there is certainly a parallel universe (or many / most) where goons were right and early Bitcoin adopters lost everything.

E: $10,000 is also more than enough to start many small businesses if you’re of the high risk mindset and fancy being self-employed.

E2: PS thanks for teaching me some forums history, permabanned poster seraph84

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU