Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mr_Companie posted:

I'm assuming you have a fulltime job and want your investments to be strictly passive income. I am not a financial advisor, but this is just what has worked for me, a poo poo poster

- Only invest in things that you understand
- Only sell when you need the money
- Research. If you can't explain to your grandma how the company or asset turns a profit, pass. If you aren't sure, pass
- Invest in products and services that are #1 in their field or have a captive audience
- Spread your bets out. Better to diversify before you double down
- Be ready to hold for multiple years before you actualize your returns
- Real estate as an investment depends on where you live, but once you've paid it off you have access to a lot of equity
- If you invest in something high risk like day trading, crypto, or NFT's have a %ROI in mind to pull your stake money and reinvest it
- Capital gains on collectibles are locked at a 28% tax rate whether you hold for a year or not. If you were, however, to hit it big in the collectible world and needed access to capital, you could, in theory, have your holdings appraised and use the new valuation as collateral for a loan. Since you haven't actually made a sale though, you wouldn't have to pay any taxes for your paper earnings

You make your money on the buy. Don't wait for the market to bottom out to make a move, though, or you'll just get left behind. Over a long enough period of time, any well thought out investment should give you a return.

All very good advice. I was reading an article on Warren Buffett, and one of the quotes that stuck with me is: "markets are a mechanism for transferring money from the impatient to the patient." The only thing I'd add is: by the time you've heard about this great new opportunity, the ship has sailed. The people who knew about it before you are going to make out like bandits, and depending on the investment, you may or you may not make a decent return. The people who made a lot of money with GME, for example, were the people who sold their stock to people desperate to catch the rising wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU