Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

yaffle posted:

I work in an elementary school library, so if you want recommendations just ask, there are so many :)

An adjacent question: can you recommend books - for whatever age of reader - that faithfully / accurately represent a kid's internal life? It occurs to me that most fiction with young protagonists doesn't really ring true in the way they think, speak, act.

Part of what makes me ask is, I'm working on a roleplaying game project that takes generations of protagonists from childhood to adulthood, then loops back around to playing the children of your previous characters. It'd be helpful to have some fiction where its young protagonists feel like real people instead of Small Adults, so that I can embed those feelings into mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

yaffle posted:

That is a tricky one, Shirley Hughes does this well, "Dogger" and "Alfie gets in first" come to mind. If you want books for older readers, Judy Blume and Cynthia Voight both seem (to me) to capture something of the reality of being a child.

Thanks for this! Cynthia Voight's Kingdom series in particular looks like it could be really useful. And I've always meant to read Judy Blume, so maybe now's the time. If anyone else has recommendations I'd be happy to have them.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

lifg posted:

My sister in law read This Is Not My Hat with a Vincent Price voice and it was perfect.

This is an incredible idea and I am writing it down for future use. Gives me an excuse to work on a Vincent Price voice, which is its own reward.