Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
A lot of us are parents now, and a lot of us are intellectual and emotional infants, so in either case I thought it might be useful or interesting to have a recommendation thread for children's books. Need a present for a picky 11 year old? Going to have a breakdown if you have to read Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus one more God drat time? Just read a book to your 8 year old that they really liked?

Here is a thread for recommending and getting recommendations for children's books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Dell_Zincht posted:

Any Roald Dahl, but particularly Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, Matilda and James and The Giant Peach.

Roald Dahl is probably my daughter's favorite writer. We read Matilda, the Witches, and The Twits as bedtime stories, and listened to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on audiobook during a long road trip. She read all the other ones herself. Dahl is a tricky one because all of his books play pretty close to the edge in terms of unsettling content and some of them go over the line. I think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is probably the one I have the most trouble with -- a lot of body-shaming and the whole Oompa-Loompa thing is just...not good. I read those books as a kid and a lot of it went over my head but my daughter immediately was like "this Oompa-Loompa stuff is hosed up," so I dunno, I guess kids are getting more woke.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

coolusername posted:

Not a parent, but I have recommended children's books as part of my job: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente and her fairyland series in general is YA, pitched 10-14. It's really good for those kids hovering in the space where they're hungry for more advanced reading materials but a little too young for the late teens content, as it introduces a bunch of challenging new vocabulary words balanced out by some very nice illustrations.

These seem cool, thanks :)

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

The Voice of Labor posted:

A is for activist

A Young People's History of the United States

My daughter had A is for Activist since before she was one. I'm not sure if by itself it had any impact. It's an interesting question when you have early reading books how much of the book is for the kids and how much is for the parents. And in some ways I wonder if the real value is now, when it's been years since she's read it, but it's still there on her shelf, indicating the value of a certain kind of political engagement that she wasn't able to think about at the time the book was written.

Have you known any kids who read the Zinn book? I admit I'm skeptical because I found the adult version unbelievably boring.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
QUAD POST.

Right now my daughter and I are reading Front Desk, by Kelly Yang, which is the story of an 11 year old girl, an immigrant from China, whose family is in charge of a motel in Anaheim. It's well-plotted and well-observed and manages to do a good job of reflecting the immigrant experience while skirting some of the cliches. One of the things that I appreciate about it is that it brings up Real poo poo and is one of the first books I've read with my daughter that has managed to do that without turning her off, so either she's getting older and more interested in the real world, or the book does an especially good job or maybe some combination. Anyway, I recommend it.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Selachian posted:

Is this where I recommend The Phantom Tollbooth? Because, The Phantom Tollbooth. It's a bit old, I know, but it's still a lot of fun and thought-provoking.

My fave. It is the best.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

fez_machine posted:

While not written for children, I also really enjoyed the James Herriot and Gerald Durrell's work as a kid.

Oh man, how did I not think of these. I read them over and over as a kid and I bet my kid would love them.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

ulvir posted:

Astrid Lindgren’s books are mandatory imo. They’re all really great, especially Ronja and the brothers Lionheart

Pippi Longstocking has some South Seas stuff that's fairly racist iirc. Am I misremembering? I read a bunch of Lindgren as a kid and loved all of it. So many of my faves were problematic and I feel like all that stuff just went over my head and didn't really affect me. But my daughter is much more sensitive to those things and I don't think they would go over her head. It's one of those weird situations where a certain degree of ignorance is genuinely protective because you don't see what you don't see. Tintin was the best to me. My daughter took one look at Tintin in America and was like yo, what the gently caress. I think she lost some respect for me that day lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

smug n stuff posted:

I remember really enjoying My Father's Dragon and its sequels, full of the kind of "whimsy" or whatever that makes you believe the author gets what it's like to be a kid

Yep, this was the first series I really loved and I have vivid memories of reading them while eating clementines, which I pretended were tangerines, which are what the protagonist eats in the story