Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

Or try Diana Wynne Jones's Chrestomanci series, or Howl's Moving Castle.

Diana Wynne Jones wrote some great books. Dark Lord of Derkholm is another interesting one with lots to discuss.

cda posted:

Tintin was the best to me. My daughter took one look at Tintin in America and was like yo, what the gently caress. I think she lost some respect for me that day lol

Early Tintin was ridiculously racist; the original Tintin in the Congo has Tintin teaching a class about "your mother country Belgium" and blowing up the wildlife. Later ones get much better, though. My own favourite that has the same problem is the Swallows and Amazons books, which are full of scenes where the children cast adults as savages and natives and cannibals, and one is about the main characters going to China and meeting a pirate queen. I'm in no hurry to reread that one.

Anyway, if we're talking about comics, you can't forget Asterix.

Roger Lancelyn Green's stories about Greek and Norse myths and King Arthur were fantastic, too. Don't forget The Sword in the Stone once you've finished that last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Clipperton posted:

also one of the main characters is nicknamed "Titty" which some kids might have a hard time getting past

I thought they were changing that to Kitty or something in the newer printings? Oh, apparently not.

Seconding Jan Mark. I best remember Thunder and Lightnings, about a weird kid and jet planes, and Something Chronic, about a couple of schoolkids who bet on how much time they'll spend in class that week.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

High Warlord Zog posted:

That book also has a really out of place rape/sexual assault scene which sours the whole thing. But Jones is generally great and I loved "Witch Week" as a wee one.

I'd forgotten this, so yeah, something to bear in mind. Oddly the sequel seemed to be for younger readers.