Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Aiken's book of horror stories, The Green Flash, traumatized me when I was very little (although admittedly I was way too young to be reading it then). But yeah, she's undoubtedly talented.

Jan Mark wrote some great horror for kids. Nothing To Be Afraid Of is very good, "Nule" in particular.

Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds is a wonderful fairy story for older kids/teens, idk if it's considered problematic these days though (it's an amalgam of Chinese legends retold by a white guy, for starters).

Safety Biscuits posted:

My own favourite that has the same problem is the Swallows and Amazons books, which are full of scenes where the children cast adults as savages and natives and cannibals, and one is about the main characters going to China and meeting a pirate queen. I'm in no hurry to reread that one.

also one of the main characters is nicknamed "Titty" which some kids might have a hard time getting past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU