Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Dr. Seuss had some great animations in the 60's. It's good when books have cartoon tie ins for kids, obviously, as its a more accessible medium that can serve as a pipeline to get them interested. I know in high school I hated all the books I got assigned set in the dusty, hot south but I really got into To Kill A Mockingbird once I saw the Gregory Peck movie and even ended up portraying Boo Radley onstage my senior year

Obviously How the Grinch Stole Christmas and The Cat In The Hat, but also The Sneetches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLPe7XjdKc

Though it doesn't all have to be social allegory. Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArXiiEcwtyY

Some people may not know there were a couple other Grinch outings, including The Grinch Grinches The Cat In The Hat. It wasn't too terribly good but I never liked The Cat as a character much, as surprising as that may be for as obvious that book and especially its sequel are an inspiration to my posting. The better Grinch Extended Universe animation was Halloween Is Grinch Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygSEkwRCQPM&t=1118s

Some nights a sour-sweet wind starts a'howlin', which wakes the gree-grumps from their tree stumps and their irritated growlin' gets the hacken-cracks agrowlin' and you generally feel for the Grinch when he breaks out The Paraphernalia Wagon and starts tearing poo poo up. A young Who, ironically now cast as more Jewish caricatures, decides to venture out to The Grinch to find out why he's loving like this.

The ensuing scene inside The Paraphernalia Wagon (queued up) is a pretty intense thing to put in front of a child but I think it's good for kids to have emotionally preperatory experiences within the proper boundaries. Another good Dr. Seuss for this is The Lorax (ending queued)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V06ZOQuo0k&t=1333s

I'm legitimately teared up rewatching this - of course as you might imagine I am very high. But there is something intensely beautiful about this man using his skills from racist war propaganda to write books about hopping on pop and red fish and blue fish and bitter butter battles and then

Theodore Geisel posted:

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.

A lot of people would accuse the Imagine Studios pre-Minion CGI adaptation of killing the story by ruining this moment; absolutely, but that can be okay too. Not every child is going to connect with what is now approaching sixty year old animation, or necessarily even be much a reader even from Hop on Pop age. But for the kids who grew up watching the new movie over and over, maybe they checked out the older one or ironically reread some Seuss as they got older and the message stuck with them. I know it's something I've returned to all my life every now and then

Of course if you're worried about the messages you're priming your kids for maybe keep them away from Horton Hears A Who

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Picture books are important for accessibility as well. I loved anything with a big spread I could get lost in all the details. One of my favourites was the treetop party from Go Dogs Go

I'd lie there and stare at all the situations and get lost in this absurd dog world. That stuff about all the colours coming together for an awesome party with cannons tied into a lot of subtle messaging while teaching the smallest their concepts and quantifications

I also liked this storyline. As an adult I might have some criticism of its specific takeaways but when I was four I just loved looking at all the details of her party hat.

I don't think he actually liked her hat there - but it was nice of him not to bring down the party by making it a big thing.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 24, 2020