Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I work in an elementary school library, so if you want recommendations just ask, there are so many :)

Read alouds for little kids: Mo Willem, of course, the Pigeon rides eternal, Elephant and Piggie are charming, Knuffle Bunny is sweet. Jan Thomas is hugely popular - various barnyard animals have wacky adventures. B.J. Novak wrote a brilliant book called "The book with no pictures" (it has NO pictures). Dave Mckee (he wrote Elmer, which I don't like) wrote the brilliant "Not now Bernard" which raises many important philosophical questions. Little kids really like interactive books, like "The monster at the end of this book, or "Do not open this book" (by Andy Lee)

For slightly bigger kids: Loads of stuff by Quentin Blake, particularly the Mrs Armatige series, I really like John Yeoman, who often works with Blake, but his stuff is often out of print. Oliver Jeffers is great, as is Jon Klassen. "Rosie Revere, engineer" by Andrea Beatty, and all of her other books on that theme. There are a whole section of worthy books on inclusivity, LGBTQ themes, anti-rasicm etc which are great and if you have a specific request I can make recommendations. Also, anything with poop, dinosaurs, unicorns, robots, ninjas etc. Don't ask me where the Minecraft or Pokemon books are, the 2nd graders have them, or they hid them for later then forgot where.

Picture books for older kids: Anything by Allen Say, beautiful art and writing, very calm touching stories, mostly autobiographical (his actual autobiography is fascinating, it's also a picture book). Shaun Tan is another one you can't go wrong with, I recommend "Cicada". David Wiesner makes mostly wordless books, full of weird transformations and hidden detail. "Du iz Tak" by Carson Ellis: insects have an adventure in a made up language. What are they saying? "Michael Rosen's Sad Book" will loving destroy you, he was children poet laureate and wrote it about coping with the unexpected death of his teenage son (whom he wrote many poems about when he was little). It changed my perception of how good a children's book could be. I love Grahame Oakley's church mouse books, but they are out of print and very English.

Bleah, that's enough, ask if you want specific stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Kestral posted:

An adjacent question: can you recommend books - for whatever age of reader - that faithfully / accurately represent a kid's internal life? It occurs to me that most fiction with young protagonists doesn't really ring true in the way they think, speak, act.

Part of what makes me ask is, I'm working on a roleplaying game project that takes generations of protagonists from childhood to adulthood, then loops back around to playing the children of your previous characters. It'd be helpful to have some fiction where its young protagonists feel like real people instead of Small Adults, so that I can embed those feelings into mechanics.

That is a tricky one, Shirley Hughes does this well, "Dogger" and "Alfie gets in first" come to mind. If you want books for older readers, Judy Blume and Cynthia Voight both seem (to me) to capture something of the reality of being a child.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Pinus Porcus posted:

Looking for short chapter books. Kid has been loving Dragon Masters and The Last Firehawk, but we've caught up with what the local library has for those series. Hoping for something very similar, around the same length (sub 100 pages), fantasy, and good stories for a 5 year old.

Similar to those would be Kingdom of Wrenley, maybe Geronimo Stilton? There's a series called Flying Furballs which seems popular right now, but that's less fantasy.