Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Astrid Lindgren’s books are mandatory imo. They’re all really great, especially Ronja and the brothers Lionheart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

cda posted:

Pippi Longstocking has some South Seas stuff that's fairly racist iirc. Am I misremembering? I read a bunch of Lindgren as a kid and loved all of it. So many of my faves were problematic and I feel like all that stuff just went over my head and didn't really affect me. But my daughter is much more sensitive to those things and I don't think they would go over her head. It's one of those weird situations where a certain degree of ignorance is genuinely protective because you don't see what you don't see. Tintin was the best to me. My daughter took one look at Tintin in America and was like yo, what the gently caress. I think she lost some respect for me that day lol

she used some outdated terms for caribbeans and africans in one of the Pippi books (not out of malice, like her father was “a n**ro king”, or some such) but the books were recently (a few years ago) edited to be more contemporary and inviting in the language, at least in the original swedish. You might want to do some research beforehand, but I think more recent translations should be pretty safe.

the contents other than that in her books are all safe and wholesome, and there’s nothing racist in the titles I recommended, so they’re a safe bet

ulvir fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 22, 2020