Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do it because it inconveniences me and makes me sad, not because I am scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
kids are trying to choose a movie and this bullshit fuckin traumatises them

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

why would you use a windows computer for watching stuff on tv

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk man it’s just what it is

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pick a time you pussy

or take your god drat children to the cinema while you can :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trolls world tour

back to the future 2 is also on but its the worst of the three!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

kids are trying to choose a movie and this bullshit fuckin traumatises them

my seven year old has been watching snippets of megamind like every day for two weeks.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

echinopsis posted:

idk man it’s just what it is

so reboot it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
When I used to train new help desk techs back "When Rock Was Young" (as the kids say these days) I used to tell them that restarting wasn't always the right thing to try but it was very rarely the wrong thing.

:shrug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

so reboot it
you have some terrible ideas but this is your worst by miles

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
gonna toot it and reboot it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
it has been far too long since i have degaussed a monitor

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It’s been so long that I jump a little each time my CRT displays degauss themselves on powerup because it really sounds like something is breaking

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Animal-Mother posted:

it has been far too long since i have degaussed a monitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL84e-X6JpA

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my computer tried to gently remind me that it needed to install updates and restart

I wisely just put it to sleep instead #crushingit

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
there's a trick to getting windows 10 to not auto reboot. i did it last week but i kinda forgot what i did. i had to delete some file or folder and then name an empty txt document the same name so windows didn't overwrite it

anyway my computers still update auotmatically they just can no longer reboot without me actually doing so, like god intended :cool:

also i am surprised at the lack of nerd-rage how Skype just all of a sudden showed up on every single PC in the world without ever being asked to install it. pissed me off but i dont see anyone whining about it for some reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what?

I just turned off all auto update things. you can’t turn off update full stop but you can stop it from auto-loving your machine

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
code:
 > shutdown -r forever 

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

there's a trick to getting windows 10 to not auto reboot. i did it last week but i kinda forgot what i did. i had to delete some file or folder and then name an empty txt document the same name so windows didn't overwrite it

anyway my computers still update auotmatically they just can no longer reboot without me actually doing so, like god intended :cool:

also i am surprised at the lack of nerd-rage how Skype just all of a sudden showed up on every single PC in the world without ever being asked to install it. pissed me off but i dont see anyone whining about it for some reason

microsoft has gotten a lot worse about stuff like this recently, i don't get why eu doesn't put its foot down. all that edge stuff too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

their monopoly status is not that clear-cut anymore, it'd be a bit of a weird move without also making google unbundle hangouts and apple imessage

not that i wouldn't be in favor of that, would turn very entertaining at minimum.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
restarted my battlestation this morning

:slick:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

what?

I just turned off all auto update things. you can’t turn off update full stop but you can stop it from auto-loving your machine

i didn't want to turn off auto-updates. i just wanted to turn off windows' ability to reboot my computer without me telling it to

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thats not allowed sorry

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
goddamn it my computer restarted itself when i wasn't looking

betrayed by my best friend

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

thats not allowed sorry

i already did it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

do you have a ups
i really would like a UPS but according to amazon all of the reasonably priced ones catch on fire. even if theres a small chance of that happening id rather just lose my data

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Zlodo posted:

I received an email from synology telling me that my nas isn't responding so I guess i had a power loss at home

so it means my Nas will be restarting which is even worse than restarting your desktop computer :smith:

cool that some random dogshit company is letting you know how things are in your house

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i really would like a UPS but according to amazon all of the reasonably priced ones catch on fire. even if theres a small chance of that happening id rather just lose my data

i have one. it cost $NZD100 and it prevents my nas from bitching about some bullshit I don't care about if it loses power unexpectedly so well worth it

the fact it might burn me to death is just a bonus

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
uptime fight

me:

server# uptime
38173 days 38 hours 12 minutes 18 seconds

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

i didn't want to turn off auto-updates. i just wanted to turn off windows' ability to reboot my computer without me telling it to

remember the promises of patching without rebooting

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sniep posted:

uptime fight

me:

server# uptime

haha

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sniep posted:

uptime fight

me:

server# uptime

:worship:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

420 days 69 hours 80085 minutes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sniep posted:

uptime fight

me:

server# uptime

hmm

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
we should only elect presidents with god-tier uptime, fat pipes, and killer rigs #sorrynotsorry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

simply purchase some solar panels at steep discount from a retiring solar installer that looted the warehouse on his last day in lieu of a final check, build a frame out of 2x4's to get them in the air and at the correct angle, purchase an MPPT charge controller, two deep cycle batteries from O'Reilly, and a 1200 watt pure sine inverter. Strap the old 12v 50 amp ham radio power supply on for a little extra current off the grid for cloudy days. Throw some money at $2/foot 4/0 welding cable, some 50 amp fuse blocks and a couple distribution panels. boom, diy UPS.

its what i did!

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I just stole my UPS from work

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i bought this UPS because it came highly recommended to me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY6FXMM

i love it

i have a high end desktop PC tower with a dozen hard drives in it, also my security camera unit, my sprinkler system (i was sick of the sprinklers going off at 6 PM whenever we had a slight power outage), my modem and my router, and it still says i have 25 minutes of battery time

also it tells you how much electricity everything plugged into it uses (it actually has a spot for you to put in the kwh rate for your location) and it turns out it only costs me like $13 a month to have this behemoth PC turned on 24/7 auto-downloading linux ISOs right after it airs. i figured it was like $35 a month or something

anyway get that UPS, it's great

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

I highly recommend installing a simple outlet timer to restart your computer daily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Smug Mug posted:

I highly recommend installing a simple outlet timer to restart your computer daily

do it saturday imo