Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
What are the two thin books in the middle of the two stacks of books? Why can't I see Capital and the Koran on your bookshelf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Sapiens? Drake no face.
Mike Duncan? Drake yes face.

How'd you like Indigenous PHotUS?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

RepeatingMeme posted:

My mom keeps buying be that Sapiens book for Christmas every year and i still haven't read it. She knows i like history and i think she keeps forgetting she gave it to me the previous year. I'm guessing its not so good based on your reaction.

Mike Duncan is great, really looking forward to more Russian revolutions content when he starts that back up. His new book sounds awesome too, i'm definitely going to get it when its released.

tbh i don't really remember. I read it a few years ago, but i think i remember it being pretty good.

You can have it if you want, it was good but i don't know that ill read it though again. If you pm me a po box or something i'll ship it to ya

What exactly is dry about "Imperial Spain 1469-1716" or "Eastern Europe 1740-1985"?????? Haha no you got me, i like that kind of stuff though so i think they're pretty interesting reads

Sapiens tries to do too much with an author who knows too little. For me I flipped to what he says about Marx, since that's what I know the most about. He completely gets it backwards (saying that there is a conspiracy at the top, rather than the reality of capitalism working like any other evolutionary process), which is alarming since Marx is one of the most important thinkers of the last 200 years.

So if you read it, read with the reminder that you may be becoming misinformed.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Heath posted:

I have some book's

They are in no particular order because I haven't arranged them yet

Gonna finish Proust? Don’t you love it when a publisher changes their spines 1/3 of the way through a series?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Do you have one of the talking donkey from Numbers?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

OMFG FURRY posted:

i dig robert caro's style and i really hope he can finish off the series.

i think i'm getting at that point where i read books to just get angry (the invisible bridge, surveillance capitalism, absence of the sacred)

Hello fellow pissed off reader! New Perlstein coming out next month (so I'll read it in a year for the paperback).

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

My favorite philosopher: Aristotles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Aristoteles.

One of these days I’ll learn how to read.