Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

thotsky posted:

People who write their name and phone number on discs. Are you expecting me to take hours out of my day to return you something that costs 15 bucks?

To add to the dogpile on your baitpost, I have several well seasoned discs in my bag that are worth more to me than the literal $20 replacement cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just text them and leave it at the course.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

OP you sound like one of the dudes who wants to make disc golf “more professional.”

I haven’t thrown in forever. Kinda burnt out going real hard last year and summer this year was hit as hell. But now that fall is rolling in, I’m feeling it again. My neighbor really wants to play so that’s as good an excuse as any.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 25, 2023

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

thotsky posted:

People who write their name and phone number on discs. Are you expecting me to take hours out of my day to return you something that costs 15 bucks?

Yikes

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My favorite is when you find a disc where someone has crossed out someone's name and phone number, then written their own.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

thotsky posted:

My favorite is when you find a disc where someone has crossed out someone's name and phone number, then written their own.

I'm not going to buy someone's discs and then leave their number on it come on

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

thotsky posted:

I expect you to swim across Kattegat and deliver it to me in person!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Siivola posted:

I'm not going to buy someone's discs and then leave their number on it come on

You're supposed to write "BOUGHT IT FAIR N SQUARE!" in giant letters and then have the other persons notary sign at the bottom.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
yo, like, I call and leave under garbage can and stuff like a community member but I don't hate the finders keepers gang. If the owner gave up and left it, it's abandoned property.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

No reasonable person expects a stranger to spend more than 5 minutes of effort on their behalf to get them their disc back. I expect most people just keep the disc, and that's fine. None of the eight or so discs I've lost in the last year and a half have been returned.

It takes 15 seconds to put your name and number on the disc. There's no reason not to, and there are some decent people out there that will spend a small amount of effort helping you out. Even if it is unlikely.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I like returning discs because there is already a huge amount of gently caress you, got mine, won’t waste my, time in the world. My local community is really great about returning discs, and it’s so nice to know there’s a pretty good chance of it showing up at the local shop. That kind of pro-community approach is hard to come by and only good everyone imo.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

edit: above posted twice for some reason

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 26, 2023

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My brother likes going diving in the water hazards, picking up like 40 discs, some of which go in while he is out there, and taking them all home.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Once your collection hits critical mass finding a disc is fun, but you'd have to pay me to put it in my car, so worst case scenario I'm sticking it in a catcher and walking away, even if it doesn't have a name on it lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I pulled all of these out of the kudzu at the end of the season last year and I'm still trying to give half of them away:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

More Envies for the Envy gods!! :coolslime:

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Red discs go fasta :orks101:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Dead Nerve posted:

Red discs go fasta :orks101:

This is wrong, actually.

The fastest disc is the one I have yet to purchase.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

This is wrong, actually.

The fastest disc is the one I have yet to purchase.

The red one you have yet to purchase*

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

thotsky posted:

My brother likes going diving in the water hazards, picking up like 40 discs, some of which go in while he is out there, and taking them all home.

That's a time honored tradition tho. It would be cool if he texted some folks but I think everyone assumed a disc in a water hazard is just gone

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.
Yeah I look up to people who make big efforts to return discs but if I leave a course without a disc I assume I'm never seeing it again. I always offer strangers cash for taking time out of their day to return something. I make medium sized efforts because I've meet most of the local players and I try to look out for them so they'll do the same for me. Uninked discs go straight to the sell to the disc store pile.

Deep down I know I already have more discs than needed for the next couple years of playing, I've decided not to buy anything without selling or losing something already in my collection.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

fociP posted:

Deep down I know I already have more discs than needed for the next couple years of playing, I've decided not to buy anything without selling or losing something already in my collection.

I made that same pledge an entire shoe rack of discs ago

I haven’t bought anything in months at this point but I will probably snag some things at usdgc

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I gave in to the FOMO and bought a Biogold Beetle.

It's not even a meme disc it’s just an expensive frisbee. But I really wanted a golf-sized frisbee.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've got a glow proxy and jawbreaker Z fierce on order because I want all the putters. All of them.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
After all the rigamorarole of asking you folks what disc golf bag to buy (Pound/Squach/etc), my girlfriend just snuck a BX3 into my truck as I leaving for work. Honestly, I think it's going to work out fine...and what a nice gesture.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

After all the rigamorarole of asking you folks what disc golf bag to buy (Pound/Squach/etc), my girlfriend just snuck a BX3 into my truck as I leaving for work. Honestly, I think it's going to work out fine...and what a nice gesture.

Wow nice! Grips are great. I think the only reason I didn't get one at the time was because all my friends were getting them.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.

Brain Curry posted:

I made that same pledge an entire shoe rack of discs ago

Yeah this is a promise made to be broken and I know it. I'm just clearing my schedule to make sure I can actually play this years MVP Space Race so that'll be plus two.

Congrats on the new bag!

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I’m at the usdgc distance comp and I love how accessible the pros are. GG, Matt Bell, Corey Ellis, Adam Hammes and AB all hung out with the spectators for some or all of the last hour

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

headcase posted:

I've got a glow proxy and jawbreaker Z fierce on order because I want all the putters. All of them.

Hell yeah dawg. How will you know which putter (the most important disc in your bag) is for you if you don’t try them all?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

NickRoweFillea posted:

Hell yeah dawg. How will you know which putter (the most important disc in your bag) is for you if you don’t try them all?

In a very short amount of time disc golf became my primary hobby and preferred form of exercise, but I absolutely have an addiction to buying discs at this point. It took me a long time to find a putting putter that felt right (settled on PA3's), so I have probably 19 different putter molds. Do not follow my example. Envy is best, and grab a Proxy as a straight to understable compliment.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I bag and throw: luna, fierce, zone, zone OS, glow envy, fission envy, and glitch all at the same time. OK usually I have to take one or 2 of those out to make it fit, but they rotate in along with a soft armadillo and rarely a berg and ion.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Putter addiction is real and I'm grateful I didn't succumb. I fell in love with the Swan 2 for my putting putter way back and bag two, along with a premium Harp right now.

Middies are my addiction :ssh:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have it on good authority that Harp is actually the best disc AND putter.

harp gang

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYKE2xBuVRs

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Mcqueen posted:

I have it on good authority that Harp is actually the best disc AND putter.

harp gang

My best round at the small course near my house is still a one-disc round I played with just a Harp.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My buddy gifted me a harp and the only downside of it I can think of is that it is a medium gray burst and man that poo poo gets hard to find real quick.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

If you simply throw the disc in the basket, it’s very easy to find!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Literally the last place I'd look with the way my game has been. Although I did skim a drive right off the top but that would have been a cubby.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Mcqueen posted:

I have it on good authority that Banger GT is actually the best disc AND putter.

bang gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

drat, this is what I've been doing wrong.

Edit - for a quality post, I've been using an Infinite Discs Alpaca putter for the past couple months (because it has the coolest art if you get the marauder stamp) and it's doing pretty well for me. The new Alien Aztec stamp is pretty cool though too. I throw my discs based off what artwork is cool and so far it hasn't let me down.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 9, 2023