Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

cage-free egghead posted:

Yep. That might be one of the greatest sports moments I’ve ever seen, and I saw the butt fumble live.

I’d unironically put Conrad’s Birdie™️ in my top 10 across any sport. The confluence of the shot, the moment, the stakes, and it’s contribution to disc golf’s growth as a sport will support that assertion as time goes on I think. It’s analogous to what Tony Hawk and the 900 did for skateboarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

That was a wild fuckin' finish.

Went and played this weekend and got to implement my crown marker for the first time. Whoever wins a hole gets to use this mini marker until someone else beats them on a hole. Meant to add a little fun competition, and I had some pieces of scrap around at work with some time on my hands.

Downside is the thing weighs like a pound and a half. Heavy is the crown, I guess.

Rad

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I've been following world's this year. I knew there was a big moment, but I was not at all prepared to be THAT astonished.

Bad throw by Paul to finish out, unfortunately. Expected more fight. But that moment from Conrad was a lifetime moment. Unbelievable.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I'm getting recommended clips from places like "some local news broadcast in columbus ohio" even though neither the event nor I are anywhere near there, it's wild

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS USDGC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPs 2021 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JAMES CONRAD. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME PUTTS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY THREW IN AN ENVY FROM 247 FT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

(I threw in an Envy 185' or so the other night to win league by a stroke.)

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

It was truly breathtaking. Absolutely unbelievable.

Went out this weekend after watching the pros all week. LMAO pros are good. I kept throwing short because they make it look so smooth and easy, I subconsciously wasn't throwing very hard because I assumed the disc would just go.

That being said, I've got a couple Wraith drivers in 175g & 145g that I like OK, but they're beat to hell. The 145g has lost its stability after tasting so many trees off the tee. What drivers do ya'll like to throw? I just bought a putter so I think I might just get whatever's on the used stand at my local shop.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

ThePopeOfFun posted:

It was truly breathtaking. Absolutely unbelievable.

Went out this weekend after watching the pros all week. LMAO pros are good. I kept throwing short because they make it look so smooth and easy, I subconsciously wasn't throwing very hard because I assumed the disc would just go.

That being said, I've got a couple Wraith drivers in 175g & 145g that I like OK, but they're beat to hell. The 145g has lost its stability after tasting so many trees off the tee. What drivers do ya'll like to throw? I just bought a putter so I think I might just get whatever's on the used stand at my local shop.

If you don't have the power to get a 175g Wraith up to speed and prevent it from dumping out early I'd look at a fairway driver like a Teebird3 or Prodigy's F3, they're pretty ridiculously straight flying discs that you just love to see hold a straight line and go far without dumping too hard.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Henron posted:

If you don't have the power to get a 175g Wraith up to speed and prevent it from dumping out early I'd look at a fairway driver like a Teebird3 or Prodigy's F3, they're pretty ridiculously straight flying discs that you just love to see hold a straight line and go far without dumping too hard.

I <3 my 175g because it flies straight and true, and I can flick it beautifully.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I throw almost exclusively forehands, and the only driver I carry with any regularity is a Boss 157gr (Champ Blizzard) that I've thrown approximately a billion times. I top out at 340' with it. I love the flight of this disc.

The majority of the time I'm throwing something in the 7-9 speed range off of the tee if the drive calls for a 275-325' straight-ish shot, which is pretty common. These are my Teebird3 or Thunderbird. The Firebird gets a ton of use off the tee when distance control is important. On shorter holes I'm throwing something in the 4-7 speed like a Zone or some sort of midrange.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I've been following world's this year. I knew there was a big moment, but I was not at all prepared to be THAT astonished.

Bad throw by Paul to finish out, unfortunately. Expected more fight. But that moment from Conrad was a lifetime moment. Unbelievable.

I caught up with it too and the entire back nine is something else. What a tournament.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I've just been rewatching the Conrad shot over and over. Even non disc golf friends were talking about the Jomboy breakdown in the group chat. It's wild how much play it's getting

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I shot +7 today, but I won this disc for getting a CTP

The poor dumb bastards who actually shot well overall and won their division only got a wood trophy and a red white and blue disc, so I’m pretty sure I actually won.

Although not as much as the dude who won $100 for getting an Ace.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.
That's a sweet disc, disc golf companies discovering we are all suckers and will pay an extra 10 bucks for something that looks cooler is bad for my wallet. I'm glad halo stuff sells out faster than I can buy yet another backup driver.

The best driver to replace one you really liked but now is flippy is probably the same driver again. I don't think I've changed a mold in my bag in a couple years except due to covid shortages.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Then there are other companies that just make stamps for discs that have a huge following. Look up https://dfxdiscs.com/

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Almost nailed a birdie from ~150 feet but it bounced off the chains and out :negative:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I bought a Latitude Musket and a Dynamic Discs Evader on the advice of my local shop. After playing 18 holes, I think the Musket is going to make me better simply because it's not going to go way left if I throw it bad. Only threw the Evader a couple of times. Probably could work it in more if I played the blue tees. Good times.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You should try out a Valkyrie, River, or Escape too if you're looking for slightly understable fairway drivers. I love those discs and probably throw those more than any other drivers.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I know the OP is not even a year old but are the Buzz and the Aviar still a good combo for someone just starting out? Anything else I should look at as a complete beginner with some shoulder problems on my throwing arm?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
They're great discs to start on. More people should start on them. I, like many others who came before me, went the direction of buying a hundred different discs because that will definitely let me break the 200ft mark!

Just kidding it just delayed learning how to throw correctly for like a year at which point I really focused on form with slower discs. I feel like they help seeing the weaknesses in form as there's no large turn or face with them.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I know the OP is not even a year old but are the Buzz and the Aviar still a good combo for someone just starting out? Anything else I should look at as a complete beginner with some shoulder problems on my throwing arm?

Listen to the OP, Buzzz and Aviar will help you learn starting out. Remember that putters go far in disc golf. Easily enough discs to reach that 200 feet mark!

If you have shoulder issues you might search for a lighter weight for your Buzzz, the heaviest ones are 180 grams, I can usually find them down to 165.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Buzzz (165-180gr) and Aviar (175gr) is the perfect combo to get out there and throw. I also think that 200' is a pretty good benchmark. Those discs are (a) easy to throw without needing a huge arm, and (b) neutral to understable, so the disc isn't fighting you.

Since we're well into summer now let me do my PSA: Friends don't let friends throw green discs. Buy solid colors that stand out from the foliage. Orange, red, pink, and bright white are my favorites. YMMV depending on where you live.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'll always love the buzz because its flight line gives excellent feedback about how you're throwing the disc itself. You can usually see deficiencies in your throw in the flight itself so it's a great learning disc.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Easychair Bootson posted:

Since we're well into summer now let me do my PSA: Friends don't let friends throw green discs. Buy solid colors that stand out from the foliage. Orange, red, pink, and bright white are my favorites. YMMV depending on where you live.

My friend throws and loses a green Mako3 often enough I just want to get him an orange one so I don't have to help him look for it as much. He throws that thing on drat near every hole, so I guess it's just by volume that he'll shank one shot every round into the woods.

I have plenty of reds and oranges, and I'm gonna be pretty worried in Sept-Oct here when the leaves have changed.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Yellow is also bad. Green plants die into yellow, so not only do you spend forever spotting your disc, dead leaves snap your head around masquerading as your lost round object.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Put a tee shot dead center into mid chains this weekend and it bounced out.

I’ve had potential aces hit metal a few times, but this was in there for sure… until it wasn’t.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Played 2.5 rounds of a 9-hole course this morning and kept score with friends; I'd only been playing casually to get back into the swing of the game for the previous month, since it's been 8+ years since I last disc golfed.

Adding the competitiveness back in has had me thinking about discing all day. Signed up for the UDisc membership, put my discs in, going to go buy a bag tomorrow and probably play a solo round in between cleaning my house, since an 18-hole course is a 5 minutes walk from the pad :getin:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Yellow is also bad. Green plants die into yellow, so not only do you spend forever spotting your disc, dead leaves snap your head around masquerading as your lost round object.

Yeah I lost a yellow Champ Thunderbird recently when I threw it into some tall grass / trees / weeds. Four of us who play all the time saw where it went, on a course we play all the time, and still couldn't find it after looking for 15 minutes.

Elysium posted:

Put a tee shot dead center into mid chains this weekend and it bounced out.

I’ve had potential aces hit metal a few times, but this was in there for sure… until it wasn’t.

Ouch. Still chasing after your first?

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 12, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Played the same course Mon-Thurs of this week, short tees to long baskets first 2 days then short tees to short baskets second two days, feels good :toot:

Shaved 7 point off my score just from Wednesday to Thursday. Watching and really thinking about your form really does help, who would've thought?! Playing a different course on Monday right by the big disc golf store here in the city, definitely gonna pick up a Buzz but I'm also thinking of getting a slower driver, my two right now are a Wraith and a Boss. Any recs?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Johnny Truant posted:

but I'm also thinking of getting a slower driver, my two right now are a Wraith and a Boss. Any recs?

Champ Thunderbird, 170ish grams. That’s my slower complement to the Blizzard Champ Boss I throw.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Played the same course Mon-Thurs of this week, short tees to long baskets first 2 days then short tees to short baskets second two days, feels good :toot:

Shaved 7 point off my score just from Wednesday to Thursday. Watching and really thinking about your form really does help, who would've thought?! Playing a different course on Monday right by the big disc golf store here in the city, definitely gonna pick up a Buzz but I'm also thinking of getting a slower driver, my two right now are a Wraith and a Boss. Any recs?

Are you forehanding or backhanding your Wraith and Boss and what plastics are they? They're both stabler discs depending on the plastic.

Sidewinder
FD
Leopard/Leopard3
Escape
Essence
Undertaker
Heat
Beast
Hatchet
Vandal
River

Then you got Prodigy discs but I can't remember what they have in that area.

I like 9-speed rims the best but there's tons of slower fairway drivers. Any of those in premium plastic should work well. You want something like 9/4-5/0-(-3)/0-3 to compliment your more stable discs.

Get a Reactor over a Buzzz if they have them they're dope.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Still can’t figure out how to boost my drivers past 400, but I’m stupid consistent with this dumb dx teebird, so I’ve got that going for me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Have you filmed yourself and reviewed the footage at all? I was able to pump out a decent amount to my max just from watching it and seeing how bad it was.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Volunteer scoring at the Preserve Championship on Sunday and then helping out with spectator stuff for the final lead card. Super pumped to finally see the top pros.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Nice! The closest I've got is a friend who spotted Eagle McMahon at the mall.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just grabbed a 6 pack of discs since there’s a course at a church a 10 minute walk away. Did not see any DiscCraft discs, so no Buzz, but I grabbed a couple of different Avairs, a couple of midrange, a fairway driver and a distance driver from Innova. Basically wanted to have a couple of sets of 3 so I have an extra set to drag folks along.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My neighborhood beer drinking buddy got a shipment of San Diego beers from a friend and I convinced we should take my new discs to the church to see how bad we were.

Am I doing this right? This bag doesn’t want to zip up with all 6 discs. Good news is I only need to carry them so far as to trade discs for a beer.

When we got there a fellow grey beard was looking like he was wrapping up. He was super helpful and we chatted for a bit. He said we were the first people he’d encountered on the course. He lives in the adjacent suburb and said his daily course recently closed and this was the closest to his house otherwise.

Right after we parted ways another guy showed up with 3 discs on his bike and played a quick 9. Must have been rush hour.

My favorite tee. I threw 4 discs on 2 holes and missed the tree in the second pic 3 times.

That’s the only part of the course where losing a disc is truly possible, so we got to spend 5-10 minutes tracking down a shot in some ivy and berry bushes. I’m pretty sure it was instant karma for my attempt at the “beers on the run up” heckle. I might have caused my buddy to break one of these bulbs he shanked it so bad.

I couldn’t see that any were broken and in my defense he is really really bad* and would have absolutely hit the church regardless.

We also decided that grabbing cans and throwing frisbees was a better option than most of our local beer spots these days, so we’ll definitely gonna go back out soon.

* I’m sending him the YouTube links in the OP, they helped me out.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

highme you need one of those backpack style bags - 6 beers and 6 discs should be easy then.

I decided the best thing to do since I haven't played much in the last 4 weeks was to sign up for a 2 round tournament at Blue Ribbon Pines in September, that will force me to get out and play more to get ready for a day of 3.6 miles of throwing and drinking.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Playing a Par 2 tournament Tomorrow. The $30 reg got me 3 discs and a bag plus some other stuff. Figured that was worth the price of admission, regardless of how well I play.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Did some dang disc art on some previously boring discs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Those are cool but not legal in a sanctioned tournament.

Sharpies can also make cool art on discs if you don't want to get into the whole dying thing and they hold up pretty well.