Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Just got into this perfect game a couple weeks ago at the recommendation of a friend was huge into it 6 years ago. We’ve ran out of money playing golf all summer and needed something free to amuse ourselves with. Love the absence of tee times or the care of clothing or costs or anything really. Shot my first bogey round yesterday and felt really good.

It’s cool how the same thought processes of golf like approach, curve and trying too hard and loving up big time are so similar. What a kick rear end game. Thanks for posting all these videos op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is that disc a m-3-3-0-0-w?

gently caress, I tried.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Played a round with my girlfriend at Old Mill in Grants Pass mid tournament and the course was totally empty. It was glorious. The course was totally empty and we both played great rounds. I carried those good vibes to my local course in seattle and shot 9 over, which was great for me. This game rules.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, why have I never played two courses in one day. My second round was actually...good!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think one of my old co-workers just found a basket in the trash at his work. He's going to haul it out for me. Fingers crossed bro's, a free key to getting better may be in hand.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Westside BT soft and Axiom Neutron plastic...just feels right ya know?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bitchin Backyard Basket Bros

time to get less bad at putting

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Why do I fall in love with discs that just stopped being in production? Found an archangel last week and had some of my longest throws and then my buddy gave me a skeeter that just feels…right.

Hit up the disc store for some backups and they aren’t being made anymore. Perfect.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sick dude thank you for the rec!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

cage-free egghead posted:

Mcqueen I just want to say that that John Clayton sketch is one of my favorite things on tv ever.

I didn't throw some discs today, but I did sign up for a tournament so yay

Totally, I miss his radio hour something fierce, absolute sports legend.

Just bought a Sol and backup Archangel, Fierce and Virus...stupid expensive sport that was supposed to be cheaper than golf...(IT IS)

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of playing catch, how can I get my dang hands on a Glitch?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Muir posted:

The stores offering pre-orders say they're expected mid-October. You could also take a look at the Latitude 64 Bite.

Oh this is awesome, thank you!

I didn't come from any background and my forehands are dogshit. I guess with less than a year playing I should just work on developing my backhand, but it would be nice to have a hundred foot flick to get out of trouble as a lefty.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dead Nerve posted:

Looks like Glitches got released at midnight eastern, along with new Fission Hex stamped for MVP Open 2022, and Halloween Eclipse Resistor.

Makes sense. Just saw a bunch on Reddit.

Good call on the forehand thin disc, started using a Crave for most forehands and it’s too stable but it works. Actually, a Crave, Virus, Mako and Fierce are about all I use and it makes me feel dumb caring a large bag….

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

Wait I forgot to shill for innova here is what you do, get yourself a factory 2nd star animal $7, a factory 2nd gstar teebird for $10, and a factory 2nd champion mako3 for $6, and then use this coupon to get a free champion mamba factory 2nd:

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-animal-factory-second/
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/gstar-teebird-factory-second/
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-mako3-factory-second/

That's a all premium plastic starter set for $23 with only moderate cosmetic defects.

https://twitter.com/InnovaProShop/status/1580950337879302145

This is an incredible deal and that starter set is perfect. the mako, mamba and tee bird are used by most people I play with every time we play.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Been playing for about a year and finally threw an even round. Bought myself a G2 as a present to replace my big bag. Realizing that I usually only throw 4 or 5 discs when I play, the G2 made sense.

Fierce, Mako, Crave and Virus make up 90% of my throws. Pretty stoked to see some real progress quickly. Very unlike real golf which I’ve been playing for 15 years and am still dogshit at.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

How is that discraft prototype putter plastic holding up? I have a fierce in that plastic and I loved the feel and flight but it was getting chewed up just from regular putting. Although it fairness one course here has really sharp edges on the catchers.

It’s not good. I’d love a fierce in Westside BT Soft and I’ll probably go back to the swan in a bit, the fierce just feels better in the hand. I’d be stoked if all discs were that Westside soft plastic, it’s perfect.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bad plastic….hmmm Vikings plastic all feels terrible to me?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

joethesurly posted:

The Stabilizer is a fantastic stable putter, I bag one even while bagging like 2 harps because it goes a bit straighter and with the neutron plastic it skips and slides like a champ.

On the topic of bad plastic, the Putter line from Discraft is really pissing me off. It feels fine, sure, but no 2 roaches I bought in it feel the same and they are stupidly hard to find. Like seriously I might have to switch putters because mine are chewed to bits from practice and I can't find more to cycle in.

Can confirm stabilizer rules. Good approach disc.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bought a gyropalooza box. Why did I do that? I’m not even good at this game. I can’t even throw anything over a 9 speed. Just a complete idiot.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Muir posted:

Mine arrived this morning and the contents were excellent and definitely useable for a newer player/noodle arm like myself. Only a couple of high speed discs, and those are understable.

Oh hell yeah. Hoping I can trade all the high speed plastic to the folks I play with who are better than me (all of them) for some beat to poo poo old plastic my body craves.

Dig the hockey tape, does it actually work for sound?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
That’s sick. I never listened to any pro Disc players before and just happened upon some Conrad what’s in the bag, dude seems chill as hell.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Those discs look so new I’d be hella pissed if I threw a brand new disc off the brink.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cool minis are rad. Found several over the year of playing...a cool glass one from AZ nationals being the raddest.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Haven’t played a round by myself in months and had the opportunity to ditch work and play my favorite local course with just me myself and my dog today. gently caress this game can be so incredibly relaxing if you want it to be. Played like poo poo, probably 12 over but felt like my best round of the year. Strange game.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

headcase posted:

I just added a lightweight wave to my bag even though I can barely throw 9 speed. Too many people told me I should try it

Sounds like you need a Virus, homie.

Also that bag video with Simon is pretty cool, really showcases how terrible I am at disc golf but he seems like a chill dude and I hope he wins everything.

I’ve got a bunch of higher speed mvp plastic from those gyro boxes I’m probably not going to use that much. If anyone wants to trade or whatever, pm me?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

What are you looking for? I would trade premium plastic mako3s, emac truths (including a pdga custom stamp one), a md5 (discontinued), halo leopard3, heat, undertaker, wraiths, jet, pharaoh, xcal?

ygm

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

headcase posted:

TIL they sell 12 packs. I am thinking about switching to this for putting. I cant seem to get comfortable with any putter. Do y'all have any recs? I've put in time with aviar, fierce, and luna.

I almost exclusively throw envies on approach now, and had a 100 foot flick throw in from the rough today. Might as well learn to putt with it!

Stabilizer feels good to me when I’m not playing good. Fierce when I’m feeling it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Big early morning disc golf with the guys on Sunday guy. I’m having a hard time working my release on the first couple holes and have been playing a course where that poor release could net me multiple stokes per hole. After that I’m a par shooter to +3 right now. Any suggestions for a quick warmup routine? I’ve started shooting calm discs like the crave and mako but I’ll still wing the poo poo out of it. This course is all hill for the first 4 and it might be an issue too.

https://www.pdga.com/course-directory/course/lake-fenwick

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

For releasing -> imho the most important thing is to have the straightest pull you can get. The straighter you pull the less variation in left/right release you'll have. If you watch someone with good form throw you'll see that releasing earlier or later is just putting the disc on two different points on the same straight line towards the basket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPPEFyA_6FY

Releasing left/right of the desired line is hard to fix because its counter intuitive - the root cause for a lot of people isn't a timing issue or a grip issue, but in your legs and footwork. This is one of the videos that helped me a ton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrLCZfxdFwo

And this video is god tier king of them all. I just spent a year basically on this idea and it transformed my long game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkABag9I-4

Feels way more natural to see this throw than the 'reach back hella far and pull through', thanks for this. Sounds like I should be stretching more too, get my hips moving before I run out there like a jabroni.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Reminder: disc golf still rules and now it’s daylight savings and we can play more often.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

NFX posted:

I tried out my new Spin the other day. What a weird and fun disc! I needed to clear an obstacle so I threw it flat, nose up. It just flew upwards, lost power, and fell straight down with zero fade.

I bought myself a proper bag for Christmas, an Axiom Voyager Lite. I like it, not too expensive and keeps upright on the ground. The real neat trick is having loops for a towel, because there's a lot of mud out around here.

I bought the watermelon and it’s done me good for almost 2 years. That said I play once a week maybe and it’s getting ragged. Splitting at the water bottle seams and the Velcro isn’t what is was. Wish they made a better model with the same footprint.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Confirming Par Plastic mystery boxes are good, varied and rad.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
The most inside of joke.

Yeah its mostly Kasta and MVP. But they really did listen to the wants as far as speed, weight and color went. All pink or red, all over 170g and everything under 5 speed. V. cool.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dr Intergalactic posted:

Tornado blasted our two main courses on Friday.

That's the post.

Sorry to be a downer but I needed to vent it into the void.

Sucks, sorry to hear it.

Had a great weekend, played a couple rounds and got pizza with the homies after. I've stopped keeping score in ball golf and disc golf and I'm enjoying the game a lot more. Just chilling any enjoying walking around, which is why i got into the games in the first place.

Now the only thing I get pissy at is putting...which I am a walking joke at...

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bandire posted:

Sorry for the Reddit link, but this is hilarious. Florida man tries to retrieve a disc from water next to a gator, and it escalates from there.

https://redd.it/13j9hyr

Gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone just found an old f5 I lost almost 2 years ago today. At the time it was my go to disc. Just wild to think about how much time has gone by since I started playing and that while I’m still a noodle arm loser, I have gotten a lot better.

I want to try doing a tourney just for fun…

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Playing a wide open course after playing the usual Seattle based tight courses is so rad, especially now that most of my usual tracks are overgrown forests. Just letting it rip in a chill way.

Going to get overconfident and throw some higher speeds in the bag.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

calandryll posted:

I got the Neutron Insanity, I guess the names means different plastics? Anyway, first throw for me put me about 10 feet from the basket. The Ballista throws further for me but the Insanity is going to be my primary go to I think. Might have to try some of their other discs.

This thread is probably tired of me pumping the Virus but you should grab a light one in Proton plastic and give it a rip.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don’t understand what she’s trying to get across or much about this topic at all. For clarity: In states where gender affirming care exists, dgpa is cancelling all those FPO events and using the excuse that too much money being spent on lawsuits defending a group of cis gendered women’s idea of fairness?

Is this not the biggest cutting off of one’s nose to spite one’s face move, like drat, for what? What a gross organization. I can’t see myself supporting this sport at the pro level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. In my head I'm thinking if elite, touring FPO players wont play A-tier events, than a player who would otherwise be top 20 FPO in the world (Natalie Ryan) but limited to A-Tier events will be running roughshod over the usual A-Tier field. Maybe this is some tinfoil hat poo poo, but it seems like this would only incite assholes already living in an TERF echo chamber that Natalie or players like her have no place in disc golf. It's almost as if this was by design?

Bag talk:
My watermelon Voyager Lite is starting to tear at the pockets and is pretty worn. Looking for a sick replacement that will hold up longer than a year and a half. I usually carry around 12 discs, a water bottle and a light rainshirt so I don't need a huge bag. All my usual 4-some have the AX5 from GRIPeq which seems like a great compromise of price, durability and size. I did come across the Pound Rufus which seems very stout and just about perfect for what I carry (and the turquoise color is woooo). What say you thread?

Also I bought a Gripeq Paige Pierce G2 shoulder bag some time ago that just does not work for me. If anyone is interested I'd ship it out for 60 bucks. Used twice.