Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

headcase posted:

Thanks thread. Watched coach T and threw +10 and +8 on two different courses. My previous best was +14. Also threw my first bird in a scored round.

:hellyeah:

Keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Anyone want to trade some discs? I'm looking for:

so many cool disc

Would've loved to try a Innova fairway driver this year (retooling the bag) but I left a z wasp at the local course for others to play with.

No worries though. I've been enjoying this new Westside Stag VIP-X I got as a gift and it feels great in the hand. Just love to see it fly.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

headcase posted:

Thanks. Your post made me realize I'm doing a sloppy hybrid spin/push. Gonna try to focus on push.

I guess the problem with the luna is the disc speed and the fade. Even at 30 feet, i'm trying to hook it in. I guess because I'm not throwing it fast enough. People Say it's just a glorified roach, but It is pretty drat overstable.

I get that I have a form problem, but i feel like now might be the right time to change putters to something a little less finicky before I make drastic putting changes. That's why I'm soliciting some recommendations on people's favorite molds.

I'm just returning to the throwing a frisbee in the park club after some years of not. I wound up replacing my old Westside Swan 2 with another but in a different plastic then the old one before. I've used it for so long I decided to stick with it for ease of hand familiarity and now I'm just figuring out which new plastic works best for me.

I bought my new one from a store that's a bit of a drive from me. It let me feel and pick up a lot of different manufactures molds/plastics to make sure I'm still a Swan fan instead of just ordering online. I would recommend in store shopping if you can, so you can figure out which putter might fit your hand best. I even scored a barely used special edition Axiom Paradox I'm trying out as a utility disc next to my Buzzz. Used bin scores are the best.

Good luck finding that putter that is yours.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

My friend grip locked a throw and hit a black ace. Absolute laser straight towards it. It was amazing.

:hellyeah:

Must've been an awesome sight.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Resurrecting this from page 1 because I just found out how true it is.

Friends have been playing alot so I got a basic pair of discs. Went to a field and threw for 20 minutes just to see how different it is and gently caress this is going to take some practice.

It's worth it, I've been having loads of fun getting back into the sport this year. You can take a solid pair of disc far. Learning how to manipulate the flight of a neutral mid range and a putter will take you far in the game.
I've played most of my rounds in life mostly with just a Buzzz n' Swan.

Don't forget sometimes the trees just want to play catch too.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

https://udisc.com/courses/art-prize-2022-john-ball-zoo-U7Lz

Fun putter course they put in for a few weeks as part of a city wide art festival in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Such a neat concept.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Speaking of playing catch, how can I get my dang hands on a Glitch?

Looks like Glitches got released at midnight eastern, along with new Fission Hex stamped for MVP Open 2022, and Halloween Eclipse Resistor.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

It feels so much like an ultimate disc to me. I initially purchased it cause of the novelty but I probably use it every other hole now.

So I snuck away from work early yesterday to get a quick round in, short tees to short baskets at my home course. Played pretty decently until I get to hole 18, which is down a huge hill. The short tee pad is up to the right if you're at the red basket, it's a bit of a tricky line where you can't see the basket from the pad.

As I'm on the pad choosing a disc, a giant hawk swoops up the hill and posts up in a tree maybe 20 feet from me:

Tight, what's up bird. This motherfucker just starts STARING ME DOWN, line doesn't look away. Cool, I've got an audience, so I huck a pretty hyzer backhand down the hill.

I fuckin PARKED THIS FUCKER WITH A HAWK AS MY AUDIENCE. Easily the best throw I've had on this hole after playing it for almost 1.5 years.

I think I've gotta quit playing, that's just like a career high I think.

Moments with nature and then throwing a disc just perfectly is what it's all about. I bet that hawk enjoyed seeing your disc fly too.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

That's awesome to hear the space race was fun, I'm registered for one later this month and cant wait! For those that can't make one, some TOs are willing to ship the disc to those who can't attend if you're willing to pay for shipping.

I set up my own glow round last night for the first time. Just a simple setup at the local nine hole course, walked it backwards setting lights up first. I used dollar lights from Harbor Freight on top of each baskets which worked out perfectly. Their cheap UV flashlight worked out okay with my Glo ESP Buzzz from OTB Discs also. Having to recharge it every few holes is a bummer but I can't wait to get my hands on a couple Eclipse 2.0 discs to see what all the hype is about.

It's pretty drat cool seeing a glowing saucer fly through a dark forest and land softly on the fairway.

links for those curious:
https://mvpcircuitevents.com/
https://www.harborfreight.com/144-lumen-ultra-bright-led-portable-worklightflashlight-63878.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/uv-blacklight-flashlight-63931.html
https://otbdiscs.com/product/glo-esp-buzzz-otb-space-stamp/

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Never thought I would love throwing a lobster so much. I've been needing that smooth finesse midrange next to my trusty buzzz and it just feels great in the hand.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

headcase posted:

I played my first rated round today. Shot even to place in the top third.

Shooting even sounds pro to me, awesome job!

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

a different option if you know the disc golfer in your life enjoys watching pro coverage is getting them an annual membership to watch professionals throw frisbees live (or just a nice gift for yourself)

https://www.discgolfnetwork.com/ follows the BIG Disc Golf Pro Tour

https://www.discgolfstream.com/ follows the European Pro Tour

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Muir posted:

Anyone have good or bad things to say about the different disc golf training apps like Seekr or Pulsea? I just saw a promo for Pulsea on the UDisc holiday gift suggestions list, and I'd previously seen ads for Seekr on Instagram. I like the idea of a more focused and curated program of training videos. I am very much still a beginner (been playing for less than a year, max throw is like 225-240').

I don't have anything to say about those apps you mentioned but

If you're looking for a focused and curated program I'd point you to Scott Stokelys Complete Disc Golfer Online Course. Stokely is a legendary old school player who threw the frisbee the farthest in his time and started teaching people along the way. He seems to have teamed up with some other instructors and put together a solid 6 month program if it fits into your life.

https://scottstokely.net/discgolflesson/completediscgolfer

https://www.discgolflessons.com/ was recently launched by him as a sort of directory of teachers aswell

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

I carry a simple bag that fits 8 in the main compartment, 2 in the putter pocket and everything else needed for a fun round. Don't need much but it's nice to have a few options.

Going into this season I reworked my top end drivers in my bag. Still waiting for the field to dry out to try them, but I still have loads of work to put in to my putter and middie game right now. Everything up to my 7 speed Grackle I'm comfortable with and I know I can have a killer time on the course.

It's just fun to seem them fly.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

That proton soft Envy is a must-cop for me. If I can finagle one of those R2 Glitches I’ll be real stoked, too.

Yeah man that glitch is dope with the glow outer ring. I'm thinking it might be the perfect lid to kick my soft putter out my putter pocket for those soft touchy approaches.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

I did set my personal distance record with the Underworld (again) though, and this one was not downhill. When it popped out of my hand, oooh drat. Felt awesome.

It's those perfect throws or one laced hole that stay with us and keep us coming back. Congrats on the personal best!

One thing I'm trying to find again on the course is that that chill golf mentally, one toss at a time type of thing. The simple nature of stepping up to the teebox, placing your shot in the fairway and forgetting about it. Just enjoying nature and the walk until you get up to your next lie and only then thinking about the next throw.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

NFX posted:

I had a bad round yesterday, I was tired and the course was crowded. But I did learn a thing that seems obvious in retrospect.

I had shanked a drive way left into an area with way too many trees. Trying to find some way to get just past them, I pulled out my Berg in K1 Soft plastic. Of course I hammered that right into a tree :sigh:. However, because it's so soft it just kinda folded in on itself, folded out, and then fell straight down. All the energy had gone into folding the disc so there was no kick left.

Now I kinda want to get a K1 Soft Falk or similar driver, just for the gimmick with those drives where you don't want to risk a hard kick. There are plenty of trees around here.

I miss my bt soft harp I lost just as the snow started to fly here in Michigan. That thing loved to almost pancake and stick right under the basket for me. Very useful but I still tend to bag one in a softer premium plastic.

Tree kicks are one of the main reason in woods golf I'm thinking more mid-ranges then fairways off the teebox, along with keeping my lines lower in the air. I'd much rather have a tree kick me to the other side of the fairway then WAY off in no mans land with a higher speed disc.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

As a casual rear end without a number, the courses are out there and all I need is one disc to have fun. The PDGA under the WFDF has no say in my game. I hope y'all figure out the competitive side of things but it's always just me verse the course.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Friend it certainly does, as the PDGA has a notable influence on how courses are run and managed across the country. The culture of the PDGA matters even if you're a drink beer and throw disc guy like me.

biggest gatekeeper of the sport eh

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

stump collector posted:

just started playing. my buddy has found enough discs he gave me a starter set. I’m complete poo poo but I’m having a blast anyway. Due to a strange shoulder injury years ago I can’t throw backhand righthand but I have been messing around with sidearm right hand and backhand with my left. Anyway my mechanics are dog but I am hitting fours and fives on nearly every par3 and it rocks.

Trying to get my lil gamer involved. I’ll probably just buy him a disc that he finds cool, since hes only four years old theres no way the disc type is gonna mean poo poo. probably a putter or midrange for him…or he can just borrow whatever he likes from my four disc set.

Is there a good way to find disc golf courses for little dudes? my friend told me there are some elementary schools around here that are obviously for kids but I’d rather be sure these places are open to the public before I show up.

Dino Discs has great options for lightweight and fun disc designed for kids.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

SirPablo posted:

I'd be lost trying to play a new course without UDisc.

Being lost on a new course is part of the charm. Though I do appreciate decent signage so I only look goofy walking in circles looking for a lost disc.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Siivola posted:

I started dolfing in early June and I'm slowly figuring out how to hyzer. I feel good about my opening shots now! :toot: They don't go terribly far yet but who cares! It'll come.

But as my distance increases I'm developing a huge hole in my short game where I don't have any throws outside C1. My putt's not long enough to C2 and I keep blasting my approach shots out the back of the fairway. :mad:

I could buy discs about it, but that'd be silly.

Welcome to the frisbee family! It's fun to watch them fly.

Nothing wrong with laying up with your putter and tapping in if it's just outside your comfort zone.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

I shanked my fluorescent bright green St. Patty Day special Harp in some think rough about a month ago. I hope it found a nice clover patch and is living it's best life.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Red discs go fasta :orks101:

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Putter addiction is real and I'm grateful I didn't succumb. I fell in love with the Swan 2 for my putting putter way back and bag two, along with a premium Harp right now.

Middies are my addiction :ssh:

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

I've been working on finding that smoothness in my throws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

Kristin Tattar just hit 1000 rating. Wonder if that’s gonna be the new norm in 5 years for FPO. Love to see it.

:confuoot:

It's neat to see the whole FPO field getting better and better. Congrats to Kristin on leading the ladies to 1000 first.