Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.
Save your black discs and join us for the true madness that is winter disc golf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgLwhc5eC4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

What a weak sauce answer, I throw mostly Innova drivers cause of their cheap misprints but I'll start experimenting with replacements as I lose the ones I have.

I was planning school disc golf club this spring before the end of the world, we decided to try it as a mostly pandemic safe club this fall so I've been playing a lot of realllllllllly slow rounds at local 9-hole courses. I've got a couple naturals and a couple who decided to buy their own discs to bring with (Mystere, Destroyer, Tern) so I'll probably pass along some of my personal worn out putters at the last club event. I've learned who actually wants to play and starting sending them out on their own and keeping the little ones who need to be reminded on every. single. throw. to stand behind whoever is throwing with my group. I should play with kids more often cause they are super impressed with my 200 foot putter drives.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

net work error posted:

I'm finding that my shots are rising way too much when I drive. Does anyone have any tips to try and stay low? I'd also be interested in knowing more about where my feet should be pointing on drives.

Adjusting your grip might also help if adjusting your footwork and follow through doesn't get you the results you want. Someone described their wrist angle as "pouring coffee" and that definitely helped me get the nose of the disc at the right angle. Also messing with too much different stuff at once can really gently caress you up so don't listen to all three of us at the same time.

Happy new year disc golf thread, several of the events I like to play didn't happen this year but I didn't get covid (yet) and I'll be around to play them next year.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

The Minnesota tournament scene is nuts this year, big local spring events are filling in minutes on disc golf scene. Even little C-Tiers are filling in days unless you travel out to the rural parts of the state. I can't even imagine how busy it will get this summer. A few locals are talking about creating a flood of new C-Tier tournaments to try to meet the demand, but I guess we successfully Grew the Sport so well during the pandemic that the flood of new competitive players is overwhelming.

I got 2 birdies today on 219 and 245 foot holes. It was above zero degrees for the first time in 2 weeks. Good day.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

One of local TDs delivers mail, they closed the post office for cold temps and high winds two years ago so he went out in -29 F weather to shoot a round.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35PJikJcPs

With out giving too much away this year's World championship is getting mainstream attention and is worth your time.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

That's a sweet disc, disc golf companies discovering we are all suckers and will pay an extra 10 bucks for something that looks cooler is bad for my wallet. I'm glad halo stuff sells out faster than I can buy yet another backup driver.

The best driver to replace one you really liked but now is flippy is probably the same driver again. I don't think I've changed a mold in my bag in a couple years except due to covid shortages.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I know the OP is not even a year old but are the Buzz and the Aviar still a good combo for someone just starting out? Anything else I should look at as a complete beginner with some shoulder problems on my throwing arm?

Listen to the OP, Buzzz and Aviar will help you learn starting out. Remember that putters go far in disc golf. Easily enough discs to reach that 200 feet mark!

If you have shoulder issues you might search for a lighter weight for your Buzzz, the heaviest ones are 180 grams, I can usually find them down to 165.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

highme you need one of those backpack style bags - 6 beers and 6 discs should be easy then.

I decided the best thing to do since I haven't played much in the last 4 weeks was to sign up for a 2 round tournament at Blue Ribbon Pines in September, that will force me to get out and play more to get ready for a day of 3.6 miles of throwing and drinking.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

What's going on goons just here to post MY ACE DISC

I highly recommend playing with kids so you can play the short tees, plus I have a reminder for my friend's kid that he couldn't spell his name in first grade.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

I learned a new technique to discourage Just Going For It, playing on ice in 20 mph winds. By the back nine I was sliding anything outside 15 feet upside down across the snow and ice. That was my first double digits over par round in a while, still fun to get out there.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

Salt Fish - I also think you should try a lighter weight Wraith, they are fairly easy to find in lighter weights for us old folks. Even if it dumps out on you at first it will be useful for headwinds. I have a 150 Blizzard Champion that flies similar lines to a Champion Valkyrie, just a bit further. It does really get blown around in the wind though. I save it for wide open holes where that extra distance is more important than picking a landing zone.

Put those Bosses away, my brother has a Star 175 that might as well be a brick and a lightweight RPro with big chunks missing from the rim, that one is an instant roller.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

headcase posted:

I get that I have a form problem, but i feel like now might be the right time to change putters to something a little less finicky before I make drastic putting changes. That's why I'm soliciting some recommendations on people's favorite molds.

Dead Nerve already posted this but seconding there is no substitute for holding the discs in your hand. Go to a store if you can, nag people at the course to try theirs if you can't. Putting is such a feel based thing that it is hard to make recommendations without seeing your putting style and the size of your hands. I like Wizards and P2s but I have long skinny fingers, people I know with smaller hands prefer something shallower like a Deputy.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

Diplomat posted:

I've never played, but I'm looking to start. After doing some minor research it appears that the starter sets offered by the big manufacturers seem to be a great value. However I was reading in some places to largely avoid base plastic discs as they fly worse? I see that starter sets with a more premium plastic are available. Would going the premium route allow me to 'grow into' thos discs? Is that preferable? Does it even matter as a complete novice? I don't mind paying a little extra for a 'nicer/better' set of discs. Any advice is welcome.

You are very likely to lose several discs early in your career to water or tall grass, get some cheap ones to start. Base plastic discs have less "fade" as they slow down compared to the same model in more durable plastics and most beginners struggle with too much fade. Start with a starter set and by the time you wear them out you'll have a better idea of what you should spend money on. If you want a shiny expensive disc right now, the Discraft Buzzz is a safe choice and if you don't like it you can just trade it to another disc golfer.

DO NOT BUY 80 DIFFERENT DISCS TO START, LEARN THE ONES YOU HAVE FIRST. “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, etc”

I'm going to start asking people at my Space Race if they have stairs in their house at this rate.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

stump collector posted:

Is there a good way to find disc golf courses for little dudes? my friend told me there are some elementary schools around here that are obviously for kids but I’d rather be sure these places are open to the public before I show up.

https://udisc.com/courses

Is probably the most up to date online course directory, they hide some stuff behind their app but it should give you a decent description just from the website. It's pretty good at marking courses on private land or pay to play.

If they get hooked and want their own special disc Innova makes many of their midranges in light weight, lower cost versions. The Shark is a common choice because it's very controllable for kids and also it has a drawing of a shark stamped on it.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah uDisc now has a near monopoly on scorekeeping and course maps so it was inevitable the price would go up but doubling is too much for me. With all the foul poo poo in the DGPT/PDGA I think I'm going to play a lot less sanctioned golf from now on.

I hope you all don't let this keep you off the course, disc golf is still a good time.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

headcase posted:

Envy throws stable for me, but it does take an anny like a boss. I bag a fission envy, zone, zone OS, luna, and a soft armadillo. I'm probably going to bump the dillo or zone OS for a fierce i guess. Spin looks interesting, but I don't think I could drive that shape.

MVP Anode might be what you are looking for if the Envy is too stable, though it is a lot deeper than a Fierce. Dynamic Discs Deputy is similar flight and feel but they only make it in less durable plastics.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah I look up to people who make big efforts to return discs but if I leave a course without a disc I assume I'm never seeing it again. I always offer strangers cash for taking time out of their day to return something. I make medium sized efforts because I've meet most of the local players and I try to look out for them so they'll do the same for me. Uninked discs go straight to the sell to the disc store pile.

Deep down I know I already have more discs than needed for the next couple years of playing, I've decided not to buy anything without selling or losing something already in my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

I made that same pledge an entire shoe rack of discs ago

Yeah this is a promise made to be broken and I know it. I'm just clearing my schedule to make sure I can actually play this years MVP Space Race so that'll be plus two.

Congrats on the new bag!