Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Almost nailed a birdie from ~150 feet but it bounced off the chains and out :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Played 2.5 rounds of a 9-hole course this morning and kept score with friends; I'd only been playing casually to get back into the swing of the game for the previous month, since it's been 8+ years since I last disc golfed.

Adding the competitiveness back in has had me thinking about discing all day. Signed up for the UDisc membership, put my discs in, going to go buy a bag tomorrow and probably play a solo round in between cleaning my house, since an 18-hole course is a 5 minutes walk from the pad :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Played the same course Mon-Thurs of this week, short tees to long baskets first 2 days then short tees to short baskets second two days, feels good :toot:

Shaved 7 point off my score just from Wednesday to Thursday. Watching and really thinking about your form really does help, who would've thought?! Playing a different course on Monday right by the big disc golf store here in the city, definitely gonna pick up a Buzz but I'm also thinking of getting a slower driver, my two right now are a Wraith and a Boss. Any recs?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My partner gave me an early birthday gift - a Dynamic Discs Trooper backpack :swoon:

I currently keep 9 discs in my bag, and this thing is huuuuuge. Will definitely carry more beers now...

Posting this partially as a timestamp - the bag feels so big and spacious right now, I'm wondering how long it'll take before I grow out of it, haha!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Aced my first hole ever today! 214ft forehand with a Buzzz. Just lasered it straight into the chains, fuckin A that felt great!

How does everyone mark their aces on their discs? This is my first so I have no idea, haha.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Got a new catty.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^^^what's up fellow basket bud :coolspot:

About to set up distance markers in my garage and practice some putting, probably with the kids next door since they love wandering into my garage, haha.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

What's up, disc golfers? Did you do something you're proud of this year? Maybe you scored an ace, or just took your kid disc golfing for the first time. Get it burned into your rap sheet forever by posting in the 2021 Achievement Sixxer thread!

Oh poo poo, thanks for the heads up! I'll take a photo of my first ace-disc so I can get it in the OP here and have it memorialized as a 6er :toot:

Rotten Cookies posted:

Happy birthdace!

My 2022 goals are

1) Throw better than +10 at my local course
2) Reliably throw controlled shots over 300 ft.
3) Put together a consecutive bogey-free 9
4) Get comfortable and confident putting at 20-25ft. Right now I'm comfortable at 15 and in
5) Play more courses. That means making a weekend trip of it with friends since there's only one course within 1½ hours of me.

These are great goals, although #5 doesn't apply to me, within 1.5 hours there's probably 12-15 courses. I really need to just work on my backhand form, I think. Why was it my weakest ultimate throw AND disc golf throw?! :mad:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cleaned up the basement and I now have an indoor 25' practice putting spot! :toot: 59/100 shots for my first session, not too shabby.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

Jelly of that setup, my Innova skillshot basket finally gave out so I had to toss it, not going to get to putt or throw for a few more months :(

One of my favorite tournaments I did like 4 years ago, Mad City Open, played at Elver. That was a lot of fun. Madison has some really nice courses real close to one another.

I live a 5 minute walk from Elver :bubblewoop: I love that course. Played all but the winter course here in Madison, it's a good city for disc golf.

Anybody know if it's possible to split a DGN subscription? I'm assuming not, because they'll have a "your account is being used to view from another location" kind of thing, but :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Can't wait to practice my technique! Been getting a full sleeve tattooed on my dominant arm, and that makes throwing anything very difficult, ha.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

I did it, y'all. +8 over 21 holes

gently caress yeah, congrats! That's such a good feeling.

Probably gonna pull the trigger on a PDGA membership pretty soon. I'm bummed cause I must've missed a promo they had for signing up where you got this NASTY octopus/mushroom disc/mini combo, but alas :negative:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elysium posted:

Everyone gets a disc for signing up the first time. The octopus is this year's disc. Last year was a space turtle. You'll probably get the octopus.

Friend signed up yesterday and didn't see anything about the octopus, but I had another friend renew his membership on Wednesday and see it :shrug:

I hope I get the octopus, though! Although the turtle is p cool, too.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I realized on Monday that I've not been holding/throwing my backhand drives properly - basically wasn't getting a wrist snap to get the spin and rotational speed because I was more holding the disc how I would if I was throwing backhand in ultimate, which I'm not great at and only use for short distances. :psyduck:

Definitely already seeing and feeling the improvements of just readjusting how I use my wrist, but that means that my accuracy has now gone into the shitter, lol. Still feels good to have a literal "oh wait a minute... oh... oh poo poo this is how I really SHOULD be holding a disc!" moment.

In bad news, I was throwing out of the brush yesterday and turned my head at the exact wrong angle to take a twig completely into my ear canal. That was surprisingly painful, gently caress.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shot -5 against my projection in my weekly league just now :bubblewoop:

Hoping my placement is good enough to get me credit enough to buy me a new disc and pay my entry fee again next week :homebrew:

I'm leaning more and more into Prodigy discs, they might overtake Innova for my most owned discs soon.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:hmmno:

The USWDGC is happening this weekend where I live, Madison WI, and I am so loving pumped to watch all the ladies just absolutely CRUSH my 'home' course of Elver park for the final two days.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfWNDgZlfmf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

:swoon:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Had barely been out all summer, other life stuff in the way, but went out this afternoon to a little par 3 course after work with friends...and not only had one of my worst rounds (+25 on a par 3...) But also got bit by a spider, AND lost one of my favorite discs.

It was a Thief...and they don't make them anymore.

But not going to let that get me down... Because I also discovered that course had a few mushroom foraging spots...a few porcinis on hole 4, and a couple chanterelles on hole...6.

Plus there's some goats in an open meadow that sort of serves as a "nexus" for like 5 of the holes, and it's always nice to see cute animals.

Aw dang, hope somebody returns your disc! I just had someone text me about my Prodigy M2 that I left in an open fairway, so hopefully you get those good vibes coming your way.

I went out the next day and bought another M2 though... cat returning my disc said it would be line 1-2 weeks before they made it to the store by me and I couldn't wait! Lol

I'm currently cleaning up my basement, which means moving my basket upstairs. Gonna figure out a new workout routine that includes some disc golf specific things, and then figure out a reasonable number of putts to aim for weekly to improve my game. I'm thinking 300 to start but we'll see, summer is always busier and I'm tryna get some more home projects done... but disc golf!! :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

unbuttonedclone posted:

A guy goes by Disc Golf Strong has a lot of disc golf strength stuff.

And when you practice putting don't just keep doing it when you stop paying attention, that doesn't do any good. When you stop concentrating quick practicing.

Oh tight, thanks! Hadn't heard of that cat before.

And I definitely agree with you regarding focus. Luckily I have enough putters that I can bang out 100 shots real quick so that hasn't been an issue for me really.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Despite having to wait at minimum 5 minutes on every hole, I still rocked -4 under my projection so League last night :bubblewoop:

It was just one of those rounds for all of us though, lol. I tossed my Envy perfectly into the chains, only to look away thinking it was good and then watch it movie style just roll right past me :pressf:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

highme posted:

gently caress y'all, I was all set to be done buying discs

Said no one, ever :getin:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nikko Locastro being an embarrassing punkass clown today, jfc gently caress that guy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Have they announced a punishment or anything yet? I only saw it on the PDGA Rodman Instagram account, lol

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

PDGA has a disciplinary board that'll meet about it. Probably 12-24 month ban is a internet-guess

Good, make his garbage rear end just be forgotten and irrelevant. He was instantly suspended from his Gateway contract, so that's another win.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Henron posted:

Pretty telling that even Gateway has disciplined the guy, his uncle either runs or is very high up in the company so he's always had that lifeline.

Makes me wonder what he did to be so unceremoniously dropped by Westside last year.

Lol yup. Apparently he has a history of disregarding the clock, but there's gotta be more.

Really hope Kat dumps his rear end so that creepy relationship (on his end) can stop living rent free in my head :aaaaa:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bootloafus posted:

Nikko has been an unrepentant poo poo slinging rage goblin as long as he's been in disc golf. My first time spectating a pro event was the 2008 KC Wide Open when it was an NT and saw him repeatedly throw fits way out of proportion to anything going on. He was maybe 18 or 19 then and has never grown up.

I've had a few other encounters with him from a distance over the years and he's never left a positive impression. All his antivax crystal bullshit since then is just icing on the turd cake.

Oh he's an antivaxxer too? :barf:

Really hope he gets suspended for 24 months then just fades into obscurity.

Anyway, I've been taking it easy cause my old man youthful and muscular back has been really sore recently, but I think I've figured out the cards and best ways to desk with it so let's gooooooo League night tonight :getin:

P sure my projections are gonna be wonky cause they recorded me last week at -10 compared to my actual score, lmfao

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Quabzor posted:

Is anyone familiar with Door county Wisconsin?

I'm going up there soon and see several disc golf courses. Are there any that I should be sure to hit/avoid?

Jacksonport Disc Golf was a cute course with some really fun and goofy lines. One basket is only 92' from the teepad, lol. I would avoid Sunset Park in Sturgeon Bay, the baskets are handmade which is neat, but they suck poo poo, and it was just a massively bug infested area when I was there in May.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I played I think the literal worst I've ever played at disc golf, during my first tournament last weekend.

Hopefully that means the tournament this Saturday will be spot free!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

54 holes in less than 24 hours and I didn't finish last in the tournament today :bubblewoop:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I picked disc golf back up a little over a year ago and it was only like 4ish months ago that I finally fixed my lovely ultimate backhand form, lol

Being a forehand strength player and only using my backhands for dumps didn't do me any par favours :negative:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Just signed up for an MVP Space Ace Race with my buddy! A glow hex and glow pilot are included in the player pack (they’re the only discs you’re allowed to use). Can’t wait!

That's a sweet set of discs. Hope you rock at least one ace!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dr Intergalactic posted:

I have nothing to add other than

BERG SUPREMACY!

:hmmyes:

It feels so much like an ultimate disc to me. I initially purchased it cause of the novelty but I probably use it every other hole now.

So I snuck away from work early yesterday to get a quick round in, short tees to short baskets at my home course. Played pretty decently until I get to hole 18, which is down a huge hill. The short tee pad is up to the right if you're at the red basket, it's a bit of a tricky line where you can't see the basket from the pad.

As I'm on the pad choosing a disc, a giant hawk swoops up the hill and posts up in a tree maybe 20 feet from me:

Tight, what's up bird. This motherfucker just starts STARING ME DOWN, line doesn't look away. Cool, I've got an audience, so I huck a pretty hyzer backhand down the hill.

I fuckin PARKED THIS FUCKER WITH A HAWK AS MY AUDIENCE. Easily the best throw I've had on this hole after playing it for almost 1.5 years.

I think I've gotta quit playing, that's just like a career high I think.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

A good buddy of mine took a small Left Hand single shoulder disc bag, lined it with a reflective interior padding, and got a little battery powered UV tape light attached inside. It's fuckin great.

We played a 6 person glow rounds for our local League on Thursday and not a single one of us got a double bogey, and all of us ended in the money :krad:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Disc Golf: full of serious players (I assume, saw a couple rolling bags)

Is this too long for a thread title

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Placeholder posted:

So I broke the radial bone of my right arm about a month ago and it looks like it's going to be a while until I'm able to throw discs using that hand again. I still want to throw though so I guess I'm going to give learning to throw lefty a go. Have any of you tried learning to throw with your off-hand?

My buddy had roughly the same thing happen to him. He honestly got pretty decent with his offhand, and he now has offhand throws in his bag when he needs them. As good as his dominant hand? Definitely not, but good to have in a pinch.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Everyone ITT needs to throw the Envy. It is a perfect disc

:hmmyes:

I own 6 and will probably buy another just for home putting practice, lol

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

headcase posted:

TIL they sell 12 packs. I am thinking about switching to this for putting. I cant seem to get comfortable with any putter. Do y'all have any recs? I've put in time with aviar, fierce, and luna.

I almost exclusively throw envies on approach now, and had a 100 foot flick throw in from the rough today. Might as well learn to putt with it!

For putting I generally use either an envy, pilot, or berg, depending on the situation. Glow rounds are a bit different, I need to get a glow berg actually, but the homie is still a mostly stable putter.

I have multiple envies that are honestly pretty interchangeable, although the lighter one I use for driving/approach.

Pilots are nice and floaty and overstable, and the berg I love just cause I can throw it like an ultimate disc, like that thing I have a great control over.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I snagged one of the Simon Lizotte Hexes that came out yesterday, it's fuckin nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

No such thing as a bad Envy. I tried to get one of the Simon hexes but my FLDS was sold out immediately.

Owner of my store was saying he wouldn't be surprised if they could pay Simon's entire contact with the Hex sales alone, poo poo was gently caress HOT