Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I've been following world's this year. I knew there was a big moment, but I was not at all prepared to be THAT astonished.

Bad throw by Paul to finish out, unfortunately. Expected more fight. But that moment from Conrad was a lifetime moment. Unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

It was truly breathtaking. Absolutely unbelievable.

Went out this weekend after watching the pros all week. LMAO pros are good. I kept throwing short because they make it look so smooth and easy, I subconsciously wasn't throwing very hard because I assumed the disc would just go.

That being said, I've got a couple Wraith drivers in 175g & 145g that I like OK, but they're beat to hell. The 145g has lost its stability after tasting so many trees off the tee. What drivers do ya'll like to throw? I just bought a putter so I think I might just get whatever's on the used stand at my local shop.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Henron posted:

If you don't have the power to get a 175g Wraith up to speed and prevent it from dumping out early I'd look at a fairway driver like a Teebird3 or Prodigy's F3, they're pretty ridiculously straight flying discs that you just love to see hold a straight line and go far without dumping too hard.

I <3 my 175g because it flies straight and true, and I can flick it beautifully.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I bought a Latitude Musket and a Dynamic Discs Evader on the advice of my local shop. After playing 18 holes, I think the Musket is going to make me better simply because it's not going to go way left if I throw it bad. Only threw the Evader a couple of times. Probably could work it in more if I played the blue tees. Good times.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Yellow is also bad. Green plants die into yellow, so not only do you spend forever spotting your disc, dead leaves snap your head around masquerading as your lost round object.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Nice! The closest I've got is a friend who spotted Eagle McMahon at the mall.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Playing a Par 2 tournament Tomorrow. The $30 reg got me 3 discs and a bag plus some other stuff. Figured that was worth the price of admission, regardless of how well I play.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Placed 9th in an unsanctioned for-fun tournament. Got a bag and three discs out of it, so that was worth the price alone. Had a good time, would tournament again.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Elysium posted:

Got my longest throw yet, all it took was concentration on form a big tailwind and a 30 foot elevation drop. My normal average is far shorter. Hoping to hit 500 one day. I’m curious to what extent age is a limiting factor. If I started at 25 (or like… 6 like half of these pros it seems) instead of 36 would I be boosting that extra 50-100 feet?

I'm watching Tristan Tanner, Drew Gibson, and Seppo Paju vida. All have short movements and loooo g explosive drives. Tristan especially emphasizes it's not power so much as timing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I’ve been focusing on throwing more putters. Sometimes off the tee on shorter holes. I dont have too many long courses here. I’m improving a ton this way, birdied a hole I’ve never birdied, etc. Im better when I do throw a driver, too. Highly recommend exploring the slower end of things!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Watching Jomez Pro tournament coverage reminds me of when golf tourneys used to be chill. It's so relaxing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JomezProductions

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Drives finally clicked yesterday. Buddy told me to think of it as a swing powered by legs and hips, with a ropey arm vs pulling a strong arm across the chest. Cause you can’t ever pull hard or fast enough, but you can generate a lot of power in the legs and hips and turn your arm into a trebuchet :eng101:

I of course later launched a disc into the netherworld, which I am returning to hunt for today.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

This video from him is exactly what my buddy told me. Now I’m working on timing, but this concept is HUGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVxeFAnwILI

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 10, 2022

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I asked and my buddy learned his stuff from this channel. This one has drills and gives a different perspective on the same topic as the slingshot guy.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLks9Qrqo-7RqR0l9R37lZymuhjsIgaLbj
first vid in the backhand thing. the twirly bird drill looks great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oar4mQsWxaA

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

If you haven't watched any pro disc golf yet, you owe it to yourself to check out the Las Vegas Challenge. I personally hate golf courses, but the final couple rounds in the mens make up for it. Some incredible disc golf being played by some of the youngest pros yet.

Videos are labeled by Round and Front or Back, front being first. So it goes Round 1 Front 9, Round 1 Back 9, then Round 2 Front 9 & Round 2 Back 9. This event went 4 rounds. Maybe that's obvious, but just in case someone is new!

Mens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqOYeNJhzKE

Womens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBMiWEwjS0U

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I have a 36 hole duo tournament coming up. First course is best disc, second is alternate throw. I will definitely be carried, but I will have some good throws and putts, plus having a safe option is always good. Super pumped to get outside and hang out for a while.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

green kingfisher posted:

I used to scoff at this so much as a teenager but after reading through this thread... I'm sold. This looks chill as hell. Buying a driver and putter ASAP

Hell yeah join us. Disc golf is so chill, so cheap.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Aside from general walking endurance, figuring out a “correct” drive technique opened up my ability to play a ton of holes without exhausting myself. And by “correct” I just mean using my body to fling the disc with a loose arm vs my arm powering the throw. Saved my shoulder from popping out a lot, too!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

you just have to keep buying them until you find a good one.

Are you an Innova rep lol

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Muir posted:

Right? When I first heard of all the tests you have to do to find the right Destroyer, or Firebird, or whatever, my first thought was "why?" There are so many equivalent discs from other manufacturers that don't seem to have the same quality control problems. Just get a Zeus or a Trespass or a DD3.

I find it mystifying. They're definitely funding more disc golf, but I can't resist a little chide every now and then.

Salt Fish posted:

I'm just really old and back then the only discs you could get were from this one rural gas station display case or a dude in the parking lot, and by the time the internet rolled around for discs I was stuck.

This is fascinating background information. We're pretty spoiled with all the availability and coverage. I still don't quite get mindset, but the Innova diehards I know also enjoy the hunt.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

It’s not bad. I have location disabled for it on my phone, but it’s helpful for courses you haven’t played. The fee lets you save unlimited rounds and track stats over time.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Muir posted:

I've been watching Overthrow tutorials on Youtube, and I even had an in person lesson a couple months ago, but I'm still stuck at around 200'-225', and when I throw I can tell it isn't right. I'm sure I just need to work on it more, do some field work, take videos of myself, but it's just a weird place to be mentally. Anyone else been here?

I’m just past where you are at. Totally get it. I drilled the the Overthrow twirly bird vid from a stand still to convince my body and mind that smooth and loose is the way, and that tightness and gritty effort kill distance. It’s kinda stupid how far you start to slang em from a stand still with just that twirly bird drill/movement.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Resurrecting this from page 1 because I just found out how true it is.

Friends have been playing alot so I got a basic pair of discs. Went to a field and threw for 20 minutes just to see how different it is and gently caress this is going to take some practice.

I have a buddy who played national-level Ultimate Frisbee for many years. He still drives like it, throwing from low to high. It's pretty cool to watch actually. He did not have a weird transition period, so it's not always true in terms of form change. THAT SAID, he is a natural super athlete who takes to anything physical he pleases.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I was never that good, and I doubt I'll ever go back to full field ultimate cause of knees, so I'll probably go the break-it-down-and-build-up route. At least putting seems to translate over pretty well.

I’m just throwin out anecdotes cause it’s interesting to compare disc sports. I should have included one of his team mates who while also incredible, couldn’t overcome the ultimate muscle memory and hates disc golf.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Diplomat posted:

I've never played, but I'm looking to start. After doing some minor research it appears that the starter sets offered by the big manufacturers seem to be a great value. However I was reading in some places to largely avoid base plastic discs as they fly worse? I see that starter sets with a more premium plastic are available. Would going the premium route allow me to 'grow into' thos discs? Is that preferable? Does it even matter as a complete novice? I don't mind paying a little extra for a 'nicer/better' set of discs. Any advice is welcome.

It doesnt matter imo. If you bought harder plastic, they will hold their consistency longer. Otherwise buy what you think looks cool.

My personal two cents would be to get a set of putters and mids (6 speed and lower) or just throw those, because beginners tend to throw drivers in big hooks that dont go very far and get frustrated. If they’d disc down they’d enjoy straighter throws. Bonus points because later in the game, you use drivers less and less off the tee depending on your local courses.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Threw mine into some grass. Usually get every disc back, but someone kept my Envy. Or it’s still out there but I doubt it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The retrievers with the u-shaped metal end are superior to the double hook fwiw.

A random box of discs is always fun. If you got $$$, a practice basket. Seconding the dust/chalk bag, super useful.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Threw an Albatross once. Hideous disc, that

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Simon is the perfect get for them. No one has more control imo. If anyone can show off MVP weirdness, it’s Simon. Psyched to see how the season unfolds. I’m personally hoping for some Matty O. wins

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Yeah i wouldn’t putt with one! Great to throw though.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Some examples of the above description include Instinct, Magician, and Method immediately come to mind from Discmania. MD-3 is very glidey but less overstable. Lat 64’s Explorer. Dynamic Disc’s evader.

These are all in that mid-to-fairway gray area. I also think of a Harp, but that’s getting into the top of approach putter range.

Man I can’t wait for the snow to clear!

Edit: I also find taller rims (is that the word?) tend to glide more, like on the MD-3. Once that starts flattening out on drivers, the disc starts dumping hard and skipping at the end.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 25, 2023

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

If you love the envy and the hex, don’t sleep on Gateway’s Chief. Really incredible disc. Still overstable, but I find it less stable than the Envy and Hex for distance shots, especially if I put some power into it. Fell in love with it in sure grip soft, then bought it in diamond so it wouldn’t get so beat up. Probably my favorite disc in my bag.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The only thing I’d be willing to say all beginners should do is pay attention to every throw hooking left (or right for lefties). That said, it’s also funny to play with stubborn beginners who refuse to change anything while getting mad at every throw ending in the rough.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Hekk posted:

Yeah I am old and broken and can't really do the run throw thing but I think I started to get the hang of the fairway driver I have. If I tilt the nose down just a little bit, it seemed to fly truer and straighter. However, that was like 1 out of 3 times I'd throw it. Other times I'd release too early or too late and it'd go all over the place.

It's nothing serious for us and we aren't in a hurry to get great. It's just nice to have a reason to get out and move around and getting to see some trees and a little bit of nature is a bonus.

Running up is overrated imo. Gets in the way more than it helps for most people I'd say. 350' is pretty doable for most people just standing at the front if they can drill the twirly bird well and believe they don't have to grab the disc like a vice. And it was no dig on you, disc golf should be chill as hell that's what it's all about. I just play with a couple stubborn beginners get decidedly unchill for the same reasons every time we play :3: We just chuckle to ourselves about it anymore.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

Grip isn't that important as long as it passes this test: have someone try to take the disc away from you and hold onto it. Don't let them take it. Whatever grip works for you during that test is a correct grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqDHuNyFszM

Ehhhh you can throw pretty far just pinching the flat part of the disc with two fingers. Overthrow gets into it, and a comment there pointed out the second video of Chandler throwing. My whole thing is not thinking about squeezing it and letting my hand decide pressure onto it while it starts moving forward. If I think about gripping, i'll just grip lock and yank it way right every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oar4mQsWxaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acrdZTVupEk&t=1270s

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

headcase posted:

I played dubs with a 67 year old guy that must have had carpal tunnel, and he looked like he couldn't even hold on to the disk. He used a loose looking 1.5 finger grip and was throwing further than me.

Hell yeah

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I was going to say something about the Vandal being great for shaping around tight courses and woods, being an understable mid/putter and all…but that’s the Bounty.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

I strongly agree with this mindset and I don't actually personally care for tournaments, I like smoking weed and throwing frisbees as well as I can for its own reward. But I hate terfs even more than that, so if I can vote in the pdga election I'm going to do it.

I don't have a PDGA membership, but it is good to prevent the evangelicals from taking over.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Lol yeah. It keeps happening for me. Every time I hit a better piece of my form and i get more power, I have to disc down to figure out what to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://twitter.com/discgolfprotour/status/1679905279876694016?s=46

They picked the nuclear option. This loving sucks!!! Instead of letting one trans woman compete, they’re denying ALL women the chance to compete. What a bunch of loving dunces.

Did they cancel events in affirming states? I can’t decipher the PR speak.